Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 23, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #18,751 of 18,763
I've recently bought an used Poly. It all works great but I've noticed the battery doesn't last long.
After some tests, I'm getting just over 15% discharge in 12 hours, with Poly + Mojo both off.

Is this normal or should I get a new battery?
For my normal use, a few playing hours every now and then, the battery is giving me enough time. But I need to let it always charging if I want it to be ready when I need it.
To me that doesn't sound disastrous. Because of the way it was designed, the Poly will always be listening for attempts to communicate with it.
This means that the Poly will always be burning some energy/battery slowly whilst listening for attempts to communicate.
The alternative design philosophy requires an on/off switch, so that the Poly is sometimes switched off 100%, but can otherwise be switched on 100% to connect (arguably better for battery life) to networks etc.
Two different design philosophies, neither of which can satisfy 100% of the owners. :relaxed:

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #18,752 of 18,763
I understand al that and I agree, to a certain point. My issue is that I've bought it used and seems to me that 15% in 12 hours is more than "slowly". So, not knowing what is the normal discharge rate of a new one, i'm suspecting the battery.

Anyone with a new one that could test? Or anyone that remembers how fast Poly discharched when new?

Anyway, thank you all for your replies. :beerchug:

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #18,753 of 18,763
I understand al that and I agree, to a certain point. My issue is that I've bought it used and seems to me that 15% in 12 hours is more than "slowly". So, not knowing what is the normal discharge rate of a new one, i'm suspecting the battery.

Anyone with a new one that could test? Or anyone that remembers how fast Poly discharched when new?

Anyway, thank you all for your replies. :beerchug:
I got mine fairly new and I don't remember it being that bad. I won't use mine for a week and it is down maybe 10% at most. To me that seems like a pretty fast discharge. Even now after years mine does not drop like that at all.

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #18,754 of 18,763
Has anyone had any luck doing an update yet? I am still getting the disconnected thing every time I try. I have nto gotten a good response from Chord yet either. It is not a huge deals since mine works, but they also made it sound urgent to update which is kind of a mess.

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #18,755 of 18,763
Has anyone had any luck doing an update yet? I am still getting the disconnected thing every time I try. I have nto gotten a good response from Chord yet either. It is not a huge deals since mine works, but they also made it sound urgent to update which is kind of a mess.
I was able to update to the latest version because I had carried out the procedure immediately before the problems related to the server began.
However, I advise you not to lose too much of your life, the new version does not bring anything tangible, enjoy your Poly without thinking that you are missing something since it will work exactly like mine.
As soon as Chord fixes the problems, you will update

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #18,756 of 18,763

At that rate you are losing 30% every day, which would equate to approx 3 days to discharge the battery fully.
From memory some of the early posters would complain that the battery had drained after 5 or 6 days, without the Poly being used.
Based on that it feels like your battery is discharging roughly twice as fast as i would have expected for a new Poly.

I don't think the battery is about to fail completely, but you can email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and see what they propose.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #18,757 of 18,763
Thank you, @mattmik and @miketlse

I'll try local dealer and email to Chord and report back.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #18,758 of 18,763
Hi, a new Poly owner here. I must admit that device is more complicated in use and configuration than I expected.

I am able to use it as Roon Endpoint and for example as an Airplay device in Spotify and Tidal. However, I understood that I could select the Poly directly as destination device in Tidal or Spotify (similarly to for example my iFi Streamer), to get the losseles streaming. However, neither of these apps detects the Poly. Could you confirm I was wrong and this is not possible?

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #18,759 of 18,763
Hi, a new Poly owner here. I must admit that device is more complicated in use and configuration than I expected.

I am able to use it as Roon Endpoint and for example as an Airplay device in Spotify and Tidal. However, I understood that I could select the Poly directly as destination device in Tidal or Spotify (similarly to for example my iFi Streamer), to get the losseles streaming. However, neither of these apps detects the Poly. Could you confirm I was wrong and this is not possible?

You are correct, neither of those features (Tidal Connect or Spotify Connect) were ever added.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #18,761 of 18,763
Thank you @rlw6534 and @Tom Schultz
I was under the impression that the native support for Tidal and Spotify was available. However, with Roon endpoint support, streaming from Tidal with other mobile apps like mconnect and Alternatively via Airplay or Bluetooth, I'm more than happy with the device

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #18,762 of 18,763

Certainly the Poly used to be advertised with several features such as Spotify connect, Google chromecast, Tidal etc, but Chord have never been able to get the code into the firmware. Various reasons have been given such as Tidal DRM, and Google/Spotify changing the business model for how firms integrate the code, etc.

Because of that situation, the Chord focus seemed to change to ensuring that at least Roon is fully integrated with Poly, and since the firmware update was made the owners who use Roon seem quite happy with the performance.

Understandably quite a few owners who don't use Roon, have long been frustrated by the situation.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #18,763 of 18,763
Thank you @rlw6534 and @Tom Schultz
I was under the impression that the native support for Tidal and Spotify was available. However, with Roon endpoint support, streaming from Tidal with other mobile apps like mconnect and Alternatively via Airplay or Bluetooth, I'm more than happy with the device

I don't think you are losing any quality with Airplay when streaming Spotify which tops out as 320 KHz vorbis. And, of course, Roon takes care of Tidal and Qobuz quite nicely...

Apple Music and Amazon Music are limited to Airplay specs AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back