Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 10, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #76 of 6,736
But don't most speaker amps also color the sound to a relatively significant extent?

Sure - to a greater or lesser extent. Hence my work on power pulse array - so then we shall all have our cakes and eat them...

So power pulse array allows the benefits of a single DAC amplifier, but instead of the 2W we get with Dave say, I can achieve hundreds of Watts with no loss at all in transparency and refinement - at least that is the intent....

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #78 of 6,736
Sure - to a greater or lesser extent. Hence my work on power pulse array - so then we shall all have our cakes and eat them...

So power pulse array allows the benefits of a single DAC amplifier, but instead of the 2W we get with Dave say, I can achieve hundreds of Watts with no loss at all in transparency and refinement - at least that is the intent....

We discussed the upcoming digital power amps before. Is this what you are referring to?

What you're saying now seems like a similar design to your "traditional" Chord DAC/amp designs, with the amplification in the DAC's analog output stage, except with a lot more power. I didn't realize this type of product was even in the works. I assumed the aforementioned amps would be amps only, without a DAC...but now that I think about it, being a DAC as well would explain why it's called a digital power amp.

But the thing is, if it's a DAC/amp, that means you couldn't use another Chord DAC with it, correct?

I might prefer this power pulse array since I do primarily use speakers and am also interested in driving certain headphones from speaker taps. Perhaps I'll wait for one of those instead of going for the Qutest, as long as it's not too much more expensive. If an external DAC cannot be used with it, I guess that means there will eventually be a flagship DAC/power amp that would be at (or above) the level of the DAVE. I'm assuming all of them would be able to be paired with DDCs like the Blu MkII and other future M-Scaler products.

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #79 of 6,736
Well we know one thing - being "Qutest" means it's the last iteration. Qute -> 2Qute -> Qutest -> ??

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #80 of 6,736

Although there will be coloration by the Woo WA33, the Qutest will do just fine with my 52 year old ears...

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #82 of 6,736
Wow. Chord decides to sell direct. Slashes
retail price by 40%. Unit sales increase 10
fold. They become even RICHER. Then I
woke up.

Meanwhile, back to reality, if US distributors
price Qutest at $1,600, I'm all smiles, and
kinda shocked. :cat:

Judging by past pricing they likely will. Keep in mind that the price in British pounds is likely including VAT. VAT doesn't apply outside of Europe. So the NA distributor keeps the 20% VAT as additional profit over MSRP less any shipping and customs charges.

And yes I'm sure Chord would make a killing selling the Hugo and below lines direct. But I suspect they have no desire to invest in larger scale manufacturing necessary to meet additional demand. This is likely why the Hugo 2 price increased after launch. More demand than production capability.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #83 of 6,736
Imagine having game changing products (the iPhone of this space) and having to sell them through a garage operation that doesn't answer emails or phone calls (haven't tried their fax number) at a crazy mark up.

I have empathy for Chord, stuck with boutique distribution relationships when your poised to transition to (relatively) mass market products. I sincerely hope they can segment their distribution at some point and make this amazing kit more accessible for a larger market.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #84 of 6,736

I think this is a similar concept behind NAD's digital direct amplifiers. Of course their digital process is different than Chord's but same idea.

Where I think that type of tech has the potential to shine is in active speakers with direct digital active cross overs.

The Kef LS50 Wireless (I think) does something similar with active crossovers, dsp phase correction and such.

I think a potential fantasy product could be a Chord/KEF collaborative LS50 wireless that uses Chord's tech for the digital stuff. Could be a world beater. But I digress.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #86 of 6,736
I see where you’re coming from. :)

Actually, the issue is OSX. DSD worked fine until Mavericks was released. With the DAVE there are dropouts with DSD so, unfortunately, I suspect that it will be the same with the Qutest. I personally doubt it has anything to do with the Mojo having issues with DoP itself.

I think you are right, and the fact Chord all out refuse to answer my questions both here and on facebook suggests the Qutest, like the Mojo, will use DoP for Mac DSD transmission, (rather than native transmission with an ASIO driver) meaning the DSD128/256 drop outs issue will remain so I will not be purchasing this or any other chord DAC.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #87 of 6,736
I have pre-ordered. Supposed to arrive sometime in February. Look forward to it.

Im probably on the wrong forum but this one appears to be the most active. Can anyone confirm that I am able to use a bluesound node 2 RCA style coax out to the BNC coax in? or am I limited to the toslink connection?

Also appreciate Chords very own Rob Watts contributing to the forum. Great to see.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #88 of 6,736
I have pre-ordered. Supposed to arrive sometime in February. Look forward to it.

Im probably on the wrong forum but this one appears to be the most active. Can anyone confirm that I am able to use a bluesound node 2 RCA style coax out to the BNC coax in? or am I limited to the toslink connection?

Also appreciate Chords very own Rob Watts contributing to the forum. Great to see.

These are what I used to interface the dual BNC out of the Blu2 to the dual coax input on the Hugo2. It's just a standard stereo 3.5mm connector.

iXCC Premium Gold-Plated 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA Female Stereo Audio Y Adapter Extension Cable (1ft)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019D04S4G

VCE 5-PACK Gold Plated BNC Female to RCA Phono Male Plug Adapter for CCTV
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N20F61M

I'd be very surprised if Qutest is different than the Hugo2

Jan 11, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #89 of 6,736
If you want to drive HP, get a Hugo 2. Any external amp will degrade transparency - you just can't escape that. And my listening tests with HP was that galvanic isolation was not required as the USB input sounded the same as optical. You only need galvanic isolation when driving amplifiers that are mains powered....
Rob - what if I want to use a desktop amp? Should I go for Hugo2 or Qutest? Does Qutest have ANY advantage (over Hugo2) other than cheaper price?

Jan 11, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #90 of 6,736
I think this is a similar concept behind NAD's digital direct amplifiers. Of course their digital process is different than Chord's but same idea.

Where I think that type of tech has the potential to shine is in active speakers with direct digital active cross overs.

The Kef LS50 Wireless (I think) does something similar with active crossovers, dsp phase correction and such.

I think a potential fantasy product could be a Chord/KEF collaborative LS50 wireless that uses Chord's tech for the digital stuff. Could be a world beater. But I digress.
No it is very different to the NAD (actually Qualcomm's DDFA) technology; I know because I invented the technology behind DDFA. The key difference is that it is a non switching output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back