Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #121 of 6,705
The way it was described, it seemed like the following to me:

• The DX amps only have digital inputs, as well as analog outputs in the form of speaker taps...
  • ...and the DAVE is the only Chord DAC that outputs DX data via its digital outputs...
  • ...so the fact that the Qutest can accept DX data via its digital inputs has no relevance, especially since it cannot be connected to the DX amp.

@Rob Watts
If any of this is incorrect, let me know.
That makes even less sense. How can the digital amp output analog? It isn't a DAC. The output has to come from the DAC, even the DAVE. No it's all about how to control the output level on the DAC. What I don't understand is how this digital amp coincides with the DAC amp stage? How does the DAC allow a greater powered signal than it's capable of producing. Thus it allows pass thru??

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #122 of 6,705
That makes even less sense. How can the digital amp output analog? It isn't a DAC. The output has to come from the DAC, even the DAVE. No it's all about how to control the output level on the DAC. What I don't understand is how this digital amp coincides with the DAC amp stage? How does the DAC allow a greater powered signal than it's capable of producing. Thus it allows pass thru??

See, all this confusion would have been prevented if how the product works was explained in the first place...but it looks to me like all we have are hints at what the product could be.

As far as I know, speakers can only be driven by an analog signal, so it would have to be outputting analog at the end of the chain. And the digital power amp is an amp that can output hundreds of watts. He clearly stated that much. I'm not sure where the digital part comes in because it has not been clearly explained aside from the fact that it accepts a digital signal via the DAVE's digital outputs. The fact that it accepts a digital signal and presumably outputs an analog signal (as well as the quote below) is what made me assume at first that the digital power amp is also a DAC.

So power pulse array allows the benefits of a single DAC amplifier, but instead of the 2W we get with Dave say, I can achieve hundreds of Watts with no loss at all in transparency and refinement - at least that is the intent....

If Rob wants to put all this speculation to an end, he can simply (and clearly) explain how it works.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #123 of 6,705
Has the specs and design of the supplied power supply been released? Will there be the same "void warranty" placed on the Qutest as with the 2Qute? I am now wondering about power conditioning dedicated to the Qutest. Have to see if anyone makes an AC to DC line conditioner.

IFI micro iUSB?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #124 of 6,705
See, all this confusion would have been prevented if how the product works was explained in the first place...but it looks to me like all we have are hints at what the product could be.

As far as I know, speakers can only be driven by an analog signal, so it would have to be outputting analog at the end of the chain. And the digital power amp is an amp that can output hundreds of watts. He clearly stated that much. I'm not sure where the digital part comes in because it has not been clearly explained aside from the fact that it accepts a digital signal via the DAVE's digital outputs. The fact that it accepts a digital signal and presumably outputs an analog signal is what made me assume at first that the digital power amp is also a DAC.

If Rob wants to put all this speculation to an end, he can simply (and clearly) explain how it works.

I'm sure Rob will be able to explain more clearly, but surely the comparison with a Mojo/Hugo is valid.... They both output in the analogue domain to drive headphones (in fact it has been said that Mojo itself can drive sensitive passive loudspeakers directly, if not to great volumes) .... If that were a greater voltage swing/current source then it could drive a speaker directly ....

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #125 of 6,705
Yes, it would be nice to know how this future digital amp can play a roll with these DAC's. Thus I am now in limbo and will hold off on any purchase without further explanation so as to be able to make an informed decision. Looks like 2Qute stays for the time being.

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #126 of 6,705
Yes, it would be nice to know how this future digital amp can play a roll with these DAC's. Thus I am now in limbo and will hold off on any purchase without further explanation so as to be able to make an informed decision.

You 'n' me both! :beerchug:

I'm hoping there will be a power amp that can be used with the Qutest and provide the most accurate sound possible (in the context of this DAC), at a relatively affordable price.

I would also like a preamp solution that would not color the sound. I used a passive preamp with the 2Qute and still use that preamp, and also used the Mojo as a DAC and digital preamp. When I compared the Mojo with and without the passive preamp, I did not hear a difference despite the passive preamp having an output impedance of up to 5,000 ohms. But I'd still want something with better specs just in case.

Side note: Chord DAC/amps are also digital preamps, and their website and other official promo material states as such. Since, in this context, digital preamp means the volume is adjusted digitally but it ultimately outputs analog, I wonder if "digital amp" means something similar.

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #127 of 6,705
You 'n' me both! :beerchug:

I'm hoping there will be a power amp that can be used with the Qutest and provide the most accurate sound possible (in the context of this DAC), at a relatively affordable price.

I would also like a preamp solution that would not color the sound. I used a passive preamp with the 2Qute and still use that preamp, and also used the Mojo as a DAC and digital preamp. When I compared the Mojo with and without the passive preamp, I did not hear a difference despite the passive preamp having an output impedance of up to 5,000 ohms. But I'd still want something with better specs just in case.

Side note: Chord DAC/amps are also digital preamps, and their website and other official promo material states as such. Since, in this context, digital preamp means the volume is adjusted digitally but it ultimately outputs analog, I wonder if "digital amp" means something similar.

In my case I don't need much power with my highly efficient speakers. In fact, 1 Watt with the Hugo 2 would be sufficient (right now the 2Qute at much less is fine), it's just that I don't like the design with the batteries and micro inputs. I may just go that route anyways, regardless of digital amp design, which I'm sure would be over kill for my needs anyways. Let alone the cost is going to be at DAVE levels, I suspect. I am in no rush, enjoying the 2Qute. I can't see upgrading to the Qutest, just for the Hugo 2 DAC guts and nothing else in upgrade, like a full digital sound stage and remote. The good thing is that the Qutest may bring about some better deals on the Hugo 2.
Can only think of this verse, "Torn between two lovers, feeling like a fool"

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #128 of 6,705
Has the specs and design of the supplied power supply been released? Will there be the same "void warranty" placed on the Qutest as with the 2Qute? I am now wondering about power conditioning dedicated to the Qutest. Have to see if anyone makes an AC to DC line conditioner.

IFI micro iUSB?
You might have to upgrade its default power supply to a higher iFi iPower as it's intended to just supply the little USB module inside the DAC housing, not the whole DAC unit itself.

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #129 of 6,705
I am somewhat surprised by the confusion on the DX amps.
So if you want to connect to a conventional linear power amp, use Qutest.
For power levels of 1W/8 use Hugo 2.
2W, use Dave.
For greater powers, when we want to preserve transparency, then we need a DAC that has a more powerful OP stage - the DX amp that uses power pulse array. So these DAC's are pulse array, promising pulse array levels of distortion and noise, but 20W to many hundreds of Watts. The DX amp can be a dedicated power amp using a DX signal from Dave - so Dave becomes a digital only pre-amp, controlling the volume, and the DX amp is a power amp. Or they will be like Hugo 2 but with on board volume controls - equivalent to an integrated amp.

So the DX amps are just DAC's, exactly the same as existing pulse array DAC's - but with very high power OP stages, and a very clever power supply arrangement (don't ask!).
I hope that clarifies.

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #130 of 6,705
I am somewhat surprised by the confusion on the DX amps.
So if you want to connect to a conventional linear power amp, use Qutest.
For power levels of 1W/8 use Hugo 2.
2W, use Dave.
For greater powers, when we want to preserve transparency, then we need a DAC that has a more powerful OP stage - the DX amp that uses power pulse array. So these DAC's are pulse array, promising pulse array levels of distortion and noise, but 20W to many hundreds of Watts. The DX amp can be a dedicated power amp using a DX signal from Dave - so Dave becomes a digital only pre-amp, controlling the volume, and the DX amp is a power amp. Or they will be like Hugo 2 but with on board volume controls - equivalent to an integrated amp.

So the DX amps are just DAC's, exactly the same as existing pulse array DAC's - but with very high power OP stages, and a very clever power supply arrangement (don't ask!).
I hope that clarifies.

Ah, so it's like I initially suspected from your comments—the DX amps are also DACs! :smile_cat:

This all-in-one solution (including volume control) would make things so much more convenient.

As long as the most affordable one isn't too much more expensive than the Qutest, I'd rather just wait for that. (If you have estimated prices, feel free to share.)

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #133 of 6,705
As long as the cheapest one is under $4K, I'm in! (If higher, I'd have to think long and hard about it.)
I just read Stereophile's JVS report on the Bluebird Chord room at CES. Judging by the prices of the Chord preamps and poweramps, I can't help feeling that these DX products will be quite pricy. My immense gut tells me we'll be looking into DAVE teritory for this technology. Doesn't bother me, as I don't have speakers. But, I'm not counting on owning one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back