DC Area Head-Fi Meet and End-of-Summer SchiitStorm! - August 12, 2017 - Gaithersburg, Maryland!

Will you come with equipment and will you be joining us for Dinner/Happy hour afterwards?

• Just coming to check out all of the goodies, no dinner/happy hour for me.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Just coming to check out all of the goodies and will be coming to dinner/happy hour, too!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bringing my own gear, but no dinner/happy hour for me.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Bringing my own gear and will be coming to the dinner/happy hour, too!

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #61 of 69
Thanks!

I will soon list some used gear on Craigslist. Before I do, if y'all DC Head-Fier's are interested, you can have them for nearly nothing.

bookshelf speakers: B&W DM 601, with stands
vintage Nakamichi RE-2 receiver (edit: Sold)
Cambridge Audio A300 integrated amp
Sony ST-JX3 analog tuner
Pro-Ject Phono Box S.

(Apologies for off-topic)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #62 of 69
The electrostatic amp we're working on is currently deconstructed and awaiting reconstruction, so we won't have that, but we will bring a set of Ether Es in case anyone brings an electrostatic amp. Or in case anyone would just like to look at them.

We'll be there with the latest iteration of the MZ2, which recently got a few updates. We'll bring the Border Patrol DAC (no longer finicky, for those of you who were at that small library meet) and I'll personally bring the Denafrips Ares. We'll also bring the iBasso DX200 (I figured out the line out!), the P5 Falcon desktop/portable amp, and some headphones including Ether Flows and the ZMF Eikon. We don't have many new things, unfortunately, but I'm hoping for more excitement by CAF.

Apologies to everyone for not being part of the group lately! A lot going on and not a lot of time.

Thanks for the update, that's unfortunate for the estats amp. Will anyone be bringing an estats amp? I remember someone mentioned one of the guys in the area owns a BHSE.

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #63 of 69
The electrostatic amp we're working on is currently deconstructed and awaiting reconstruction, so we won't have that, but we will bring a set of Ether Es in case anyone brings an electrostatic amp. Or in case anyone would just like to look at them
Now you tell me. I have all the parts for a transformer box for driving electrostatic headphones sitting on my floor awaiting construction.

Oh well. Maybe at the next meet .

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #66 of 69
(Sorry for the confusion, folks, the above thread link inadvertently directs you to the wrong sub-directory. Below link is correct and we will move comments already made to it shortly!)

In accordance with Head-Fi forum protocol, the above event was held (with great success!) and comments and impressions will now be open in a new thread here -

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dc-...017-gaithersburg-maryland-impressions.857766/

Thanks to Schiit, iFi Audio and AGPtek for sponsoring and supporting what turned out to be a terrific get together of the Head-Fi Mid-Atlantic audiophile community!

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #67 of 69
IMG_5626.JPG
https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F33231627%2F7165283325%2F1%2Foriginal.jpg

Graphic Credit: ClieOS

DC Area Head-Fi Meet and End-of-Summer SchiitStorm! - August 12, 2017 - Gaithersburg, Maryland!

Come join Washington DC/Maryland/Virginia members of HeadFi.org and local headphone enthusiasts for an afternoon of auditioning and friendly conversation!

This free event is open to all who have an interest in headphone audio. No equipment is required to attend but, as always, participants are welcome to bring their own sources, headphones, amps, DACs, and other accessories.

The meet will feature a SchiitKit - a table of equipment made (and generously provided) by Schiit (schiit.com), a company famous for excellent sound and excellent value. Participants will be able to audition most of the Schiit product line with their own music and headphones or even compare their own stack (DAC and amp) with similar ones made by Schiit.

After the meet, participants are invited to join us for a happy hour and dinner at a local restaurant - Thai Tanium in the Kentlands.

Please post what equipment you are bringing in this thread and then register on Eventbrite so that we can get an advance count of attendees -

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dc-area-head-fi-meet-and-end-of-summer-schiitstorm-tickets-36208826575

Here’s the detail…

Date: Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 12:00 - 6:00 p.m., optional happy hour and dinner follows

Cost: Free and open to the audiophile public

Kentlands Clubhouse
485 Tschiffely Square Rd.
Gaithersburg, MD 20878

The Kentlands Clubhouse is wheelchair accessible and has male and female restrooms that are also wheelchair accessible. The building is smoke-free, please dispose of any trash you might have in the provided bins. While we will have a number of chairs available for attendees, this is a standing event where you will want to move around the meeting room to experience all of the equipment on display.

Directions:

KENTLANDS CLUBHOUSE – 485 Tschiffely Square Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20878

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/485+Tschiffely+Square+Rd,+Gaithersburg,+MD+20878

https://wego.here.com/directions/mix//485-Tschiffely-Square-Rd,-Gaithersburg,-MD-20878,-USA

Parking: Plenty of free street parking is available in the immediate area, please don't park in any spot that has Reserved signage - those spots are for residents only and you might be ticketed/towed if you park there.

Internet Access: Free wireless Internet access is available. Speed should be sufficient for everyone's moderate/email use but not for multiple concurrent streaming video applications.

Electricity: Twelve (12) double outlets are available in the meeting room itself. If you are bringing A/C powered devices, please bring your own power strips.

Tables and Chairs: The room is stocked with a number of heavy load bearing tables and we expect to also have two heavy duty 8-foot folding tables and 30 folding wooden chairs. If you have heavier or bulkier equipment consider that the coffee tables will have the most comfortable lounge seating.

Event Schedule:

12:00 - 1:00 p.m. - Equipment setup. Bring your favorite audio devices to display and to offer attendees a chance to try out with their own headphones! If you need A/C power, please bring your own power strips!

You can park for a few minutes in front of the Clubhouse entrance to unload equipment but once equipment is unloaded, please park in either the parking lot or in one of the many street parking spots in the neighborhood.

1:00 - 1:30 p.m - Opening remarks and self-introduction of attendees, you are encouraged to describe the equipment you brought to the meet!

1:30 - 5:00 p.m. - Open listening sessions, feel free to walk around, chat, test out the available equipment.

5:00 p.m. - Closing remarks, quick discussion of options for a next Meet.

5:00 - 5:30 p.m. - Pack up your equipment and walk or drive to the Thai Tanium restaurant for Happy Hour and Dinner!

5:30 - 7:30 p.m. - After Event Happy Hour and Dinner (at your own cost) @Thai Tanium - join your new and old friends to share a drink and tell some tall tales!

Location: Thai Tanium Restaurant, 657 Center Point Way (Kentlands Market Square, next to movie theater,) Gaithersburg, MD 20878

http://www.thaitaniumrestaurant.com

Directions:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Thai+Tanium+Restaurant,+657+Center+Point+Way,+Gaithersburg,+MD+20878

https://wego.here.com/directions/mix/Thai-Tanium,-657-Center-Point-Way,-Gaithersburg,-MD-20878,-USA

Please don't forget to register at Eventbrite so that we know you will be joining us!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dc-area-head-fi-meet-and-end-of-summer-schiitstorm-tickets-36208826575
I really enjoyed the event. Everyone was very friendly & welcoming (with one tiny exception). Many thanks to those who shared their headphones, equipment and knowledge. Schiit showed up in force, so they won my enthusiastic word-of-mouth & my own future purchases.
The star of the show: the coolest thing I saw was tiny DIY amps in AltoidS boxes. Same nice guy also had an awesome big solid state amp!
What I learned: I was surprised how heavenly the Audeze headphones were - wow! I just wish they were lighter. Second, I changed my opinion about the Sennheiser HD600 after a quick lesson from a learned dude. The HD600 are not hopelessly veiled as I thought. Even the much maligned HD700 sounded great when hooked to Schiit amps.
Finally, the event was refreshingly free from audio snake oil (fantabulous claims that defy physics).

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #68 of 69

I really enjoyed the event. Everyone was very friendly & welcoming (with one tiny exception). Many thanks to those who shared their headphones, equipment and knowledge. Schiit showed up in force, so they won my enthusiastic word-of-mouth & my own future purchases.
The star of the show: the coolest thing I saw was tiny DIY amps in AltoidS boxes. Same nice guy also had an awesome big solid state amp!
What I learned: I was surprised how heavenly the Audeze headphones were - wow! I just wish they were lighter. Second, I changed my opinion about the Sennheiser HD600 after a quick lesson from a learned dude. The HD600 are not hopelessly veiled as I thought. Even the much maligned HD700 sounded great when hooked to Schiit amps.
Finally, the event was refreshingly free from audio snake oil (fantabulous claims that defy physics).

Yeah the weight is my many complaint about my Audeze LCD-3's, after an hour or two I really start to feel the weight, and it gets uncomfortable to me. My HD700's on the other hand I'm able to wear all day.

I have heard a lot of criticism towards the HD700's but decided to buy them anyway when I saw them on Massdrop. I've only ever used them with my Schiit Bifrost and Jotunhiem, and think they sound fantastic. I guess it's just a good pairing. Was too busy trying all the other headphones I had never tried before so I didn't get to hear them on other amps.

I'm definitely considering buying one if the Altoids amps. Currently my mobile setup is just IE800's plugged directly into my phone, so it would be a nice upgrade. I also think it would just be awesome to pull out an Altoids container in public, plug your phone and IEM's into it, and see everyone's reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back