sheldaze

Headphoneus Supremus
Date : Saturday, January 13, 2018
Time: 11am to 4pm

Fairfax Public Library / Oakton Branch
10304 Lynnhaven Place
Oakton, VA 22124

Meet Rules
  1. Please treat fellow head-fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.
  2. Please don't unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
  3. Please don't turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
  4. Please don't move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
  5. Absolutely no food and drink will be allowed near any equipment including your own.
  6. Please have courtesy and ensure that your hands are CLEAN before handling others' equipment.
  7. Be mindful of the time you are spending listening to others’ gear especially if there are others waiting in line.
  8. Be mindful of personal hygiene. DO NOT use hair gel or other product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
  9. If you can have the five songs listed below on your system--it'll help everyone audition unfamiliar gear.
Post any gear you plan to bring. But feel free to just come as you are!
So close to the event, it'll probably be a quiet affair. A few of the locals (have been restless) already started to plan stuff via PM. So I'm sure we'll add a few notes here during the coming week.

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 21
Hey all! Trying to bring a mixture of things people have heard and things that might be new. I'll also bring a source, just in case, though my original plan was to share a source with another member:
  • Cavalli Liquid Glass
  • Metrum Acoustics Amethyst
  • Sennheiser HD800S
  • Sennheiser HD650
  • HiFiMan HE4XX
  • Audeze LCD-2 Classic
  • Schiit Vali 2
List may change, such as if there is any interest to hear the HD660S.

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 21
Planning on making it.
  • ECP Torpedo III
  • EMU Teak
  • Oppo PM-3
Currently in the process of obtaining a source/DAC for my setup, so it would be awesome if I can use one for the T3 at the meet. Want to try and make it shine to its fullest and my laptop causes some nasty processor interference (phone is fine though).

If people are interested, I can bring some other random cans, but I don't have much that is too unique (T-X0s unmodded atm, Grado HF-2, can bring a spare HD6xx).
@sheldaze definitely interested in the 660s, just to hear a difference. If I'm the only one I'm fine waiting til another time :p.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 21
I hear you on the source setup - I'll be using an EITR definitely, and might bring a transport for disc spinners. One of the other people (he has not posted here yet) said he was bringing an amplifier. I may want to initially setup to A/B compare Glass and his amplifier. But then no problem to add your amplifier to my chain:

EITR or disc transport > Amethyst > Glass > Torpedo

And I too would like to hear the T3 - read very good things about it :sunglasses:

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 21
I'll be there with a DNA Stratus and Ayre C-5xeMP disc player in tow as well as Audeze LCD-XC / Alessandro MS-1 / Sennheiser HD 800.

@Silverion77 - I can bring an Ayre QB-9 DSD if you need a source.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 21
First, thanks to the organizer!
I’ll bring the following:
  • Stax L700 with the 353X energizer
  • Stax RS80 with SRM40
  • B&W P9
  • B&W P7
  • Philips Fidelio X2
  • Grado 80 Prestige
  • iPad mini
I need a DAC and an amp (people can use their smartphones/DAPs). I could bring my Sony bricks but .....

I’d love to listen to Focal Clear or Elear, Sennheiser 660 and Hifiman Edition X V2 - all in shopping list.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 21
I'd really like to come, but I'm getting over a cold. Will definitely sit this one out -- don't want to get anyone else sick.

But...for the next get-together, I would bring:
  • Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
  • Focal Elear
  • Hifiman HE560
  • RME ADI-2 Pro (Anniversary Edition)
  • iFi iCan Pro Amplifier
  • iFi Micro iDSD BL

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 21
I will bring my Cary DMS-500 DAC and my Focal Utopia cans.

Any requests for me to bring the GS-X mkII?

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 21
I will bring my Cary DMS-500 DAC and my Focal Utopia cans.

Any requests for me to bring the GS-X mkII?
A lot of discussion in the GS-X mkII thread, regarding how it responds to different sources. I've heard it sourced from different DACs, but might be very helpful for people who haven't heard it!

Jan 12, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 21
Hey all! Trying to bring a mixture of things people have heard and things that might be new. I'll also bring a source, just in case, though my original plan was to share a source with another member:
  • Cavalli Liquid Glass
  • Metrum Acoustics Amethyst
  • Sennheiser HD800S
  • Sennheiser HD650
  • HiFiMan HE4XX
  • Audeze LCD-2 Classic
  • Schiit Vali 2
List may change, such as if there is any interest to hear the HD660S.
I’m definitely interested in the 660. Please bring it along.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #12 of 21
I'll bring the new AGPtek H3 DAP/DAC for people to try out. Retails for $135 so it should be comparable to the likes of Fiio devices.

My initial impression is that It is quite nice, one of the best menu structures and physical button/scroll wheel control layouts I have tried.

I am writing a review and would really appreciate your comments on the sound quality of this unit! Also, I might be able to get another test unit sent directly to someone interested in doing an in depth review, so let me know at the meet.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #14 of 21
Ken I've always thought of you as a man who stands by his WYRD

Regarding carrying heavy things like a Bottlehead Kaiju Amp - hard to tell but from the picture on google it looks like the parking is not to far from the entrance.

Looking forward to seeing folks there.

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #15 of 21
Argh...just seeing this. Tomorrow is spoken for unfortunately - bummed I'll miss the gathering.

I have a Luxman SQ-N100 that I use primarily as a headphone amp and would love an opportunity to hear it with some other headphones. If another such meet takes shape in the Baltimore area, I'm in.

Have fun tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back