Denafrips DAC-8PRO2 R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 24, 2017 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

PitBul34

100+ Head-Fier
Some days ago i've received the next Denafrips discrete R2R ladder DAC from Taiwan. Let me introduce the senior brother of 'Ares': Denafrips DAC-8PRO2 R2R discrete ladder DAC:

Sound is well balanced. More deeper Soundstage, stronger Bass, perfect channel separation. Mids are very natural and gentle. Heights are more clear and transparent then 'Ares':

You can find some tech details at manufacturer website.

Next two models in line - 'Venus' & 'Terminator':

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 33
Feb 26, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 33
Ok, let's compare the same vinyl & a digital record in my system.

All my tube gear are handcrafted. Amp based on US RCA Radiotron Type 245 triodes in globe shape, british 4 volt triode Cossor 41-MTL as drivers and german Telefunken RGN1064 as rectifiers. Preamp use british 2 volt triodes G.E.C. P2. Phono stage amp made of british EF86 as drivers and russian gold 6Э6П-ДР tubes in output stage. I use Thorens TD160 Super turntable armed by Audiocraft AC-3000 unipivot tonearm and Transfiguration Temper Supreme or Ortofon Rohmann MC cartridges. MC-transformer is Technics Amorphous SH-305MC. My digital gear right now: Soundaware D100PRO Deluxe 'digital turntable' and Denafrips DAC-8PRO2 discrete R2R ladder DAC. AC from russian OXB-team: www.10hz.ru

Vinyl system in test:

Turntable: Thorens TD-160 Super (professional refurbished) ~$1400
Tonearm: Audiocraft AC-3000 unipivot ~$1400
MC cartridge: Ortofon Rohmann ~$800 (MSRP 2600 DM)
MC transformer: Technics Amorphous SH-305 mc ~$800
Phono preamp: Tube phono preamp, handcrafted.

Digital system in test:

Digital transport: Soundaware D100 PRO Deluxe ~$1100
DAC: Denafrips DAC-8PRO2 R2R ~$1500

Vinyl record: Harry Belafonte in Carnegie Hall, LP, 33 1\3

Digital record: Harry Belafonte in Carnegie Hall, DSD64

1. Digital test:

2. Vinyl test:

Denafrips 'Ares' vs Vinyl test - follow this link.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 33
I just noticed something on the (alas, barebones and mostly in Chinese) Denafrips website: they state that the 1-year manufacturer warranty includes transportation costs to China (if the malfunction is not the user's fault of course) .
I have no idea about "how" this could be practically implemented (I mean, they give you the money back on your paypal..?) , but I think it's a very positive feature,   something unprecedented among smaller Chinese firms, at least to my knowledge.
It does for sure inspire some more trust than usual in the product quality.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 33
Have you chance to compare with some more popular stuff like Auralic Vega or Black Dragon or even some CD from the market?
Just to catch comparison point.

I have to say it is most elegant design (inside) I ever seen. Just like pure perfection.

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 33
I think it would be better to make a small table to describe advantages of each other.

Indicator
ARES
DAC-8PRO2 R2R
ExteriorSmall and simple looking device, minimalistic style, not eated much space, 1x unit.Solid looking heavy weight boxer, minimalistic style, need more space, 2x units.
InteriorOne big O-transformer, 2x R2R ladders, 1x FPGA controller, 0,01 resistors.2x big O-transformers, separated power source unit, 4x R2R ladders, 2x FPGA controllers, 0,01 resistors.
Build qualityBuild like a T-34 main battle tank, full metal jacket, all parts alligned nice, packed in 1x paper box. A special gift wooden boxes are available for Taiwan users (and for me :) - many thanks to Taiwan dealer).Build like an ISU-152 tank destroyer, huge bullet proof case, many many metal, metal is everywhere, all parts alligned nice. Weight 13 kg, 2x units packed separately in 2x paper boxes.
FormatsPCM, DSD (DoP), DSD native (USB)PCM, DSD (DoP), DSD native (I2S)
USB+ (XMOS 208)-
I2S-+ (HDMI, gold plated)
COX2x RCA1x RCA, 1x BNC
OPT2x TosLink2x TosLink
AES\EBU-2x
OutputRCA, XLRRCA, XLR
SoundstageVery deepMuch deeper and layered (but you need a nice tube setup and a lightweight high sensitivity paper cone dynamic heads to hear that)
AttackVery fast, agressiveVery fast, much softer and balanced sound
BassDeep and texturedVery deep, strong and textured (but you need a nice setup and high quality big AC  to hear that)
MidsVery natural and pleasureVery natural and pleasure, more intelligent sound
HeightsCrystal clearCrystal clear, but more gentle sound
ResolutionVery HighThe same
Channel separationVery HighA bit better
Price$600$1500

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 33
Intrigued, and subscribed. What are the dimensions of this with the units stacked on top of each other?

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #15 of 33
Length and width?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back