Desktop Amp/DAC vs. Micro Amp + Micro DAC
Mar 25, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #46 of 48
I also was in this dillema before, and I must admit that I mever did an AB test with the astros and the regular "bricks". when I first tried my astros I think I heard an improvement but again...can't be 100 positive that I really can hear a difference.
the reason I decided to get the astros, is because I have decided that the micros are worth it,even if the difference is not big (and I can promose you it is not) or if it is non at all. again...this all HI-FI thing is to pay (sometimes alot) and get very little...at least when you are already getting hi quality sound (not talking about miving from a low end gear to high level gear) but in the end ,when getting all these "little" improvement together,it is a big difference.
if you get the astrodynes (or the dps) you will have peace of mind...that you havn't neglected one of the most part of the sound chain..the power supply and electricity. it was more than worth it for me, and in anycase,I am sure there is some improvement of comparing the two PSU's in AB test.

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #48 of 48
JChandler3,
Excellent review!
Your Bithead advice also is on the mark for those just making the plunge or, as you note, who need to power an $80 set of phones. No need to spend more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back