Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
May 3, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #2,671 of 2,672
I'm officially at the headache level stage. The power supply of the amp I'm looking at has one GZ34/274B rectifier tube.
They sell some at their shop so they could put in following cheaper models:
# Shuguang 5AR4 (GZ34)
# Sovtek 5AR4 (GZ34)
# Tungsol 5AR4 (GZ34)
# Genalex GZ34

and one more expensive:
# Full Music 274B N

so which one would you (experienced) "rollers" use?

my headache stems from looking into:
Birmar, Mullard metal base, 3 types of Psvane, Elrogs, Taks...

Which option would be a good starting point for a beginner? Just get any cheaper option and take time to look into it later on?
My guess is the three Russian made tubes probably have identical construction, so save your money on labeling, it probably won’t make a difference.

May 4, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #2,672 of 2,672
I'm officially at the headache level stage. The power supply of the amp I'm looking at has one GZ34/274B rectifier tube.
They sell some at their shop so they could put in following cheaper models:
# Shuguang 5AR4 (GZ34)
# Sovtek 5AR4 (GZ34)
# Tungsol 5AR4 (GZ34)
# Genalex GZ34

and one more expensive:
# Full Music 274B N

so which one would you (experienced) "rollers" use?

my headache stems from looking into:
Birmar, Mullard metal base, 3 types of Psvane, Elrogs, Taks...

Which option would be a good starting point for a beginner? Just get any cheaper option and take time to look into it later on?

If you are here, you know you are not going to settle for 2nd best(to your ear, not $$), I was at your exact situation last month, and I went and acquired a few that's on my short list (we274a, we422a, elrog, brimar 5u4g, tungsram 5z3 and stc4274b ), So far, we274a and elrog are on my amp the most. I keep finding myself switching between these two. The we274a more euphoric and the elrog more analytical. May end up keeping both and selling the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back