Effect Audio - New Flagship "Horus"
Sep 10, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #32 of 106
So, we're paying about 2000 USD for a changed impedance?
Nope, and not what I said. The impedance from Ares through Effect Audio's lineup all the way to Mars when I tried them was roughly the same--if there are volume differences they were very small. You are paying roughly $1800 because gold is expensive (whatever your theories or observations on what it does to sound), because R&D costs money, because it is a prestige product and because the market this is competing in already has many cables at that price or near it. It wouldn't make sense for Effect Audio to offer a cable response to Brimar and Kimber Cable upper models at half the price.

I don't personally have enough experience with cable materials and cable geometries to judge what difference is made by gold. I also have a healthy distrust of cable maker claims, but when I listened to most of Effect Audio's lineup at Canjam London, I liked Mars best and it is gold plated silver.

I had pure copper, pure silver, and hybrid copper/silver in comparisons, and the one with less conductivity, the Mars, was the one liked best with the Noble Encore. I also tried the Leonidas and preferred the Mars. If the Horus is "much much more" on sound quality than the Mars, I'll be a big fan. What will be interesting is when I can make a comparison to Double Helix Cables Symbiote Elite 8 braid pure silver cable, which is the top in my stable.

Silver is the best conductor, period. Copper isn't far behind. Gold is much much worse on conductivity. I don't think conductivity is the be all end all on cable sound.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #33 of 106
Nope, and not what I said. The impedance from Ares through Effect Audio's lineup all the way to Mars when I tried them was roughly the same--if there are volume differences they were very small. You are paying roughly $1800 because gold is expensive (whatever your theories or observations on what it does to sound), because R&D costs money, because it is a prestige product and because the market this is competing in already has many cables at that price or near it. It wouldn't make sense for the to offer a cable response to Brimar and Kimber Cable upper models at half the price.

I don't personally have enough experience with cable materials and cable geometries to judge what difference is made by gold. I also have a healthy distrust of cable maker claims, but when I listened to most of Effect Audio's lineup at Canjam London, I liked Mars best and it is gold plated silver.

I had pure copper, pure silver, and hybrid copper in comparisons, and the one with less conductivity, the Mars, was the one liked best with the Noble Encore. I also tried the Leonidas and preferred the Mars. If the Horus is "much much more" on sound quality than the Mars, I'll be a big fan. What will be interesting is when I can make a comparison to Double Helix Cables Symbiote Elite 8 braid pure silver cable, which is the top in my stable.

Silver is the best conductor, period. Copper isn't far behind. Gold is much much worse on conductivity. I don't think conductivity is the be all end
Humour, my friends.
I was just making fun of stuff, fear not :wink:
Hey, you've given as good an explanation as I've seen so far! :ksc75smile:

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #34 of 106
Love seeing the discussions on gold and conductivity. Coincidentally, there's an interview with Headfonia @Ultrainferno that will be going up soon. We tackled issues like Gold usage, Conductivity as well as the age old questions : Cables - "Snake oil or not"?

Stay tuned! :)

-Eric

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Sep 11, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #35 of 106
Love seeing the discussions on gold and conductivity. Coincidentally, there's an interview with Headfonia @Ultrainferno that will be going up soon. We tackled issues like Gold usage, Conductivity as well as the age old questions : Cables - "Snake oil or not"?

-Eric

Can't wait to hear what Lieven (If I got that right) has to say about Horus soon. :D

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #39 of 106
Sep 11, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #40 of 106
Why so expensive?

I couldn't help myself lol!!!

why_so_serious__by_tyrite.jpg

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #42 of 106

-Eric
:popcorn::beer:

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #43 of 106

-Eric

Sounds fascinating! Where will it be posted exactly? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back