FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
May 3, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #871 of 876
Yes, but not just that. I love that the volume pot turns in a proportional way: you can still turn it up to 12 o'clock or 1 o'clock with more sensitive headphones and finely adjust to volume below that value. The real power kicks in after that but you only need that with the hungriest headphones.
For example, on many amplifiers I can only use my Caldera between 9 and 11 o'clock and I have a fraction of a millimetre to play with when I need smaller volume adjustments. The Mentor's volume knob is big and there is a lot of room to make these adjustments. Why are not all amps like this? :)
Plus, I love those relay clicks. :)
Never, ever, ever, buy an MHA200. The volume control goes from nothing to deafening in about 2mm.

May 3, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #872 of 876
For example, on many amplifiers I can only use my Caldera between 9 and 11 o'clock and I have a fraction of a millimetre to play with when I need smaller volume adjustments. The Mentor's volume knob is big and there is a lot of room to make these adjustments. Why are not all amps like this? :)
Plus, I love those relay clicks. :)

It took me a minute to get there, but this post made me realize that a bigger volume knob means turning the knob a greater distance to cover the same degree of rotation, meaning finer control of the volume. It seems so obvious now, I feel dumb for not realizing it earlier. I thought it was purely an aesthetic thing. lol

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #873 of 876
Just got notification it arrived in Kyiv. Not sure why it took so long when everyone else outside of U.S already got their amp.
Thanks for posting this. I just checked and indeed, mine is also in Kyiv. I can only conclude that there were some strange circumstances that allowed UK customers to get their units in a couple of days. I'm not sure why the 9 day delay with any updates for us in the US, but I'll be patient.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #874 of 876
It took me a minute to get there, but this post made me realize that a bigger volume know means turning the knob a greater distance to cover the same degree of rotation, meaning finer control of the volume. It seems so obvious now, I feel dumb for not realizing it earlier. I thought it was purely an aesthetic thing. lol
It is not just the size of the volume knob. It feels like, at 12 o'clock the Mentor is not using 50% of its full power, but less. (I do not know exact numbers.) This allows more room to play with the volume when listening with sensitive headphones. For the sake of the example let's say the Mentor is using 30% of its power at 12 o'clock with certain more sensitive headphones. And still there is the 70% reserve after 12 o'clock for your Susvara or Tungsten. This adds a lot to versatility and usability.
Feels a bit like cruising in town with a well-designed supercar: comfortable on the boulevard but you know the amount of power in reserve. :)

May 3, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #875 of 876
Thanks for posting this. I just checked and indeed, mine is also in Kyiv. I can only conclude that there were some strange circumstances that allowed UK customers to get their units in a couple of days. I'm not sure why the 9 day delay with any updates for us in the US, but I'll be patient.
My guess would be, given they seemed to sell most of the stock in a day, they only had so much space on the van to get things to Poland and come back again and go again.

May 3, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #876 of 876
May have been waiting on US versions of the Neotech cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back