Focal Clear headphones
Oct 7, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #196 of 12,543
Hopefully, I had driver breakup issues with the Utopia. I think this one will be extremely close in performance to the utopia if it's better than Elear
I feel like there is quite a massive gap to fill there - the utopia seemed like a genuine competitor in the high end section, though overpriced for its performance if you ask me, where as the Elear just didn't seem to compete at all, its strange midrange response just took it completely out of the race for me. So to me at least, the Clear might just be what I hoped the Elear would have been in the first place... but time will tell! There seems to be plenty of impressions coming in, and likely many more to follow in the coming months :)

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #197 of 12,543
I found the Elear articulate and detailed, but overall had nothing to do with music. Sound was mechanical and brittle compared to a Grado HP-2 or an original RS-1. This is not to say that other headphones in the Elear's price range do not have similar problems. IMO everybody's going for detail, big soundscape, awesomeness....and the heart and soul of music has gone out the window. Some of the less expensive offerings like the Audioquests get closer to music.
I'd venture to say that many who are new to headphones have not heard an hp-2 or even an original rs-1. I owned the original series rs-1 and have heard a few different hp-2...they are fantastic and musical, though this is a very vague term. having owned and listened to a number of headphones over the last 14 years, I currently own modded woodied sr225 and a balanced k-501. my interest in the clear is bc I want something detailed and "clear" to augment my current listening habits. I did not care much for the hd800...the focals might be what I'm looking for.

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #198 of 12,543
I'd venture to say that many who are new to headphones have not heard an hp-2 or even an original rs-1. I owned the original series rs-1 and have heard a few different hp-2...they are fantastic and musical, though this is a very vague term. having owned and listened to a number of headphones over the last 14 years, I currently own modded woodied sr225 and a balanced k-501. my interest in the clear is bc I want something detailed and "clear" to augment my current listening habits. I did not care much for the hd800...the focals might be what I'm looking for.

Sure, the only Grado I've really been in love with was the HF-2, but Grado aside I can definitely see why some don't enjoy the HD800 (on some poor days I don't either), since they are on the bright side of things, and in that sense, I do find things like the Focals or even a T1 with their added resonance and overall slightly warmer/more midrangey signatures make for a better compromise for most. Then again that is likely the reason they made the HD800S!

So I definitely think Focal is going in the right direction with their lovely build and the signature on the Utopia - as much as I could wish for a slight bit more oomph in the low end :)

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #199 of 12,543
Funnily I feel the exact opposite about headphones in general at the moment... The elears main problem is the massive hole in the middle of its response, making top and bottom sound completely disjointed.
Well that's kind of how I felt as well, and why I used the HP-2 as reference points. 95% of musical content resides in the midrange and those Grados took care to get that part right. "Disjointed" is an excellent choice of words, as it describes what I hear as well. The musical whole is missing parts and nothing to tie it all together.

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #200 of 12,543
There are already several reviews of the Focal Clear out, and boy are they positive. Things like:

"Once you hear Focal Clear, you won't be able to go back to your other headphones." (TechHive)
"stunning clarity. Shocking, really." (Digital Trends)
"A set of Audeze LCD3 Fazor headphones were veiled by comparison."

It sounds like a clear upgrade from the Elear. Yet another pair of headphones possibly worth buying! Where does it end folks lol. I'm looking at the bright side: with the Clear, I feel I don't have to consider the Utopia.

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #201 of 12,543
And this is why I own NO Audeze and NO he1000. And now NO Focal. But Focal did lighten the cable (rolls eyes). The Ether Flow is 380 not 400 grams according to my kitchen scale. The Ether Flow C is 400 or I'd own it also. The 800/800S are nicely comfortable at their respective sub 400 gram weights ( I own the 800 ).

There are just too many good, quality materials to offer up headphones that weigh over 400 grams. Wait till the masses get ahold of the Aeon Open and see what a truly lightweight hi end planar can do.

I find this statement to be slightly controversial - as someone who wears headphones for the better part of 8 to 10 hours a day all week round, I absolutely agree that having headphones be comfortable is a massive deal. My only qualm with debating this situation is the fact that obviously everyone's perception of comfort and/or weight specifically will vary; it is undeniable that 700g for a pair of Audeze headphones is a stretch and far from optimal regardless of whether or not you are 6'8 and 275lb of pure muscle but drawing the line at 400 and under is a little extreme even for a regular sized human.

As said I'm all for lightweight headphones, making them as light as you possibly can should be a real concern when you're trying to push out high end stuff (probably even when you're not) but as someone who owns both Elears as well as HD800s and is not particularly tall/built, the weight difference honestly feels negligible to me. This is not to say comfort as a whole is comparable because there's no denying the gigantic ear allocation the 800s provide is almost whimsical but I'm talking strictly weight.

Maybe (unlikely) my opinion will change once the AEON open starts hitting the European retailers since I'm definitely going to be buying one (also awaiting reviews, yours and others) but either way, my sole point is that what may feel (acceptably) heavy to you may not be so to others. :)

Oct 7, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #202 of 12,543
There are already several reviews of the Focal Clear out, and boy are they positive. Things like:

"Once you hear Focal Clear, you won't be able to go back to your other headphones." (TechHive)

It sounds like a clear upgrade from the Elear. Yet another pair of headphones possibly worth buying! Where does it end folks lol. I'm looking at the bright side: with the Clear, I feel I don't have to consider the Utopia.

Early reviews of Elear were also overly positive. The majority of headphone reviews are very positive with new releases. Who knows if reviewers are paid for good reviews? After you've been on here long enough, you will see this optimism to be the trend. It's a new release, lots of hype and FOTM reactions (this is the best deal ever!), give it a year and the same thing is happening, but it's with a newer release, more current release. It's rare to find very negative written reviews for new products.

Or buy into it if you want. This process gets tiring to me though. Perhaps I'm getting old.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #203 of 12,543

Sounds like these folk never heard the Elear.

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #204 of 12,543
I wonder how do these compare sonically to the Sennheiser HD800 S?
Any comparisons would be very interesting and appreciated.

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #208 of 12,543
So far the Clear is merely a fixed Elear with fancier case/cables. Reminiscent of the HD800S vis-a-vis the HD800. At least the Clear won't drill a hole in between my ears like the Elear did.

I'm a bit curious because of what you said. The Elear isn't known for having incisive highs. I owned it for a couple of weeks. I'd go as far as saying it sounds a bit dull being driven from a tube/hybrid amp (Schiit Valhalla 2). Are you sure it isn't your amp that's messing with the headphones? (And I say this because I have heard the wonderful ZMF Eikon sounds intolerably bright from the Massdrop Cavalli hybrid amp. Oh god that amp is bright)

I listened to the Clear at RMAF. The highs of the headphones really aren't that different from the Elear (I think).

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #209 of 12,543
For the record - I'm currently rocking the Audeze Deckard/ Oppp HA-1 as my primary setup. So yes no hybrid or tubes...and the Elear is a very dynamic fun-sounding can certainly - but it is just annoying that are spikes here&there that result in some shrill, sibilant trebles. Like when I was listening to some light jazz the shrill "noise" that comes out of the saxophone simply makes me agonize.

And I would find the opportunity to upgrade to Utopia for sure. Seems like they took a dip after the in introduction of Clear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back