Guitar-fi anyone?
Dec 27, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #826 of 833
I have a buddy, maybe the best non-famous picker I’ve ever heard who just got this baby. Fender Pro II American. Black (obviously) with Rosewood Fret Board, rare version he said, says its similar to the John Mayer 2010 version.

There is definitely something special about a good Strat. Here’s a >20 year old picture of me on stage with my Eric Johnson model (of all things), but I love the quarter sawn maple neck and hot, vintage style pickups (cloth covered wires, stronger magnets). I have prettier, substantially more costly guitars (pictures to come, eventually), but this is the one I reached for most often when I used to play electric (been more than 10 years now, since the Grateful Dads broke up for good and ever). I still play acoustic for myself and, on occasion, with one or another of the guys from the band, but our last show was a fundraiser ‘reunion’ in 2011 for a local kid who suffered TBI in a car accident, and whose uncovered medical bills were piling up. Raised over $12k, but it didn’t save the band.

422D092C-556C-445D-9662-C00E60D04736.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #827 of 833
CFE4C660-2132-402B-B9AB-E759440ACE3B.jpeg

Same guitar, different night (or maybe just a shirt change?) - notice the Fender ‘57 Custom Twin Amp (tweed) in the background…

Also, notice how well my giant lummox frame manages to completely hide the drummer behind me (mwah-ha-hah)!

😈

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #828 of 833
R.I.P. Jeff Beck!

Feb 10, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #829 of 833
As a guitar player, I guess I would be more of the Chi-fi guitar-fi type. Some have been modded, some are amazing stock:
66 DLX.jpg

Above: Monoprice Indio 66 DLX. Sounded great stock, but I had a specific sound/style in my mind. Changed out 100% of the electronics. PAF Alnico 2 double cream Donlis pickups, coil tap push-pull volume controls, "Fakesenberg" Guyker tailpiece trem.

Below: IYV (Inyen Vina) semi hollow IJZ-300. This has remained stock, since it sounded and played nearly perfect out of the box, just took some very minor setup work. Thinking of doing the coil split thing... The stock PAF-style pickups come wired with 5 conductors.
IJZ-300 -Gamma.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #830 of 833
Hi, my gear is a Fender Strat, LP Junior double cut, and Martin acoustic 12 string( a very nice guitar, but had some water damage so it was very cheap. It sounds great though.)

Amp: Marshall JCM 2000 DSL201 combo amp with a Celestion Eddie Van Halen speaker.

Mesa 5 band eq. Boss 7 band eq pedal. Zvex Channel 2 for playing around.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #831 of 833
These are pics of my guitars, just sitting in my room. I can't play anymore because I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands. But I started playing in 1992, so it's not like I will just "get rid of them". Hopefully I'll get surgery soon.
Anyhoo... the acoustic guitar stand was hand-built by a co-worker. He likes to do carpentry, so he made it for me as a gift!

The suitcase and black bag are my pedals (mostly Wampler pedals).

Guitars listed:
Taylor 410CE (acoustic)
Left to right on the rack:
Fender Road Worn Strat, with Warmoth "boat neck" birdseye maple neck, thin nitro finish (also completely rewired, with pickup volume blend, and Texas Special pickups), home made decal (her name is Marta, and she's a "StratKCaster")
Warmoth build high-grade flame maple red body, high-grade flame maple neck, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbuckers, hand-wired (no decal/name yet).
Ibanez JS1CR "Chrome Boy"
Gibson SG 50th Anniversary February release (2011), 24-fret ebony, with Gibson '57 Classic pickups. The truss rod cover has her name: "Sadie", because she's sadistic!
Warmoth Telecaster build in sonic blue, alder body, birdseye maple neck, with Fender NoCaster pickups. Hand-wired, and her name is "Sonica - NoKCaster"
Warmoth Telecaster build with redwood burl top, mahogany body, high-grade flame koa neck, TV Jones Tele pickups, hand-wired. Name is "Redrina - EarthKCaster"

MF1sJGp.jpg

1BQoKKG.jpg

UHKAFV1.jpg

Here is Sadie (my SG) in action:

8VBt2Jw.jpg

qpdIkbm.jpg

The neck on my Warmoth red Super-Strat is gorgeous in the right lighting:

WJPEn1P.jpg

ZSbJUUx.jpg

3MLbCNY.jpg

iUezJbb.jpg

GHQWq2d.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #832 of 833
I went to a guitar shop about 20 minutes drive from my place, to get my Taylor acoustic and my redwood Tele build set up... the strings were flying high above the fretboard. I came back today to pick them up. The guy said "I don't recognize this brand, it says 'Earthkcaster'."
Here are pics of the guitar I'm talking about:

GytuEYb.jpg

ebQKMx7.jpg

I said, "Yeah I made the name. My name is Casey, so 'KC' like my name, in 'EarthKCaster'." Then I told him it was redwood burl top, mahogany body, flame koa neck.
He says, "Yes, and the tuners they are German. Schaller, yes?"
"That's right," I replied. "Schaller locking tuners." He then showed me a website where a '58 Les Paul was just sold. I said, "Is that a '61 Les Paul? Oh, a '58. Nice."
Then his eyes lit up.
I meant to just pick up my guitars, then head back to work. Instead, the guy said "Let me show you this..." And he takes me to a window display guitar. It was an ebony Les Paul I noticed in the window as I walked in. He said, "This is now sold, but it is a 1985 vintage Les Paul. With special pickups."I was like "wow, this is nice. Really good condition for its age!"
He said "Yes."
Then, he says "Have you ever seen a 'schaffel guitar'?"
I was like, "Schaffel? What's that?"He then pulls out a shovel guitar, a three string electric slide guitar. I went, "oh, a SHOVEL guitar. yes, I saw one like this on YouTube!"....
I plucked the stings. "It's in tune, too!" He says, "Yes."Then he goes, "This shop has been here for 105 years. But look, there is this guitar. It is the oldest one I have in the store."
He opens a case, and shows me a hand-made Les Paul style guitar. Looks like an iced tea finish. From 1978. It was about one inch thinner than a stock Les Paul. The top of the body had a more pronounced 'arch' then usual, obviously hand-shaved to personal specifications. A pure mahogany body. The pickup selector switch was a three-way selector switch like you'd find on a Fender Jaguar. I said "wow, it is lighter than a real Les Paul. Thinner, too." He says "Yes it is. Now, look at this."
He takes me over to the other side of the store. He shows me an old black box. I said, "Is that a vintage EchoPlex?"He says, "Yes."
I go, "1972?"
"Something like that, yes."
I then said, "You could play Pink Floyd on that! 'Careful with that Axe, Eugene!'"
He says, "This is new. It is new old stock. You can play 'Dark Side of the Moon'!" Then he shows me a Vox overdrive pedal with "four tubes inside". Then, he sends me to his rack of Ibanez TS9 pedals... which I saw the moment I walked in the first time. He has three gold-plated TS9 pedals. Another four or five vintage TS9s.
I mentioned that I have a TS-808 vintage, that I use as a "clean tone" and then stack another pedal after that as a boost for more grit. I think he got the gist of what I was saying.
I think this dude gets customers that doesn't know a lot about guitar stuff. So, once he found out that I made my own guitar, and my own decal, and talked about its construction, he was overjoyed to share the things the shop had in ways the he couldn't do with other regular customers. It was charming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back