HD598 vs. HD650
Aug 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

hardtrance

New Head-Fier
I'm planning to upgrade my Sennheiser HD598 to HD650.

So my question is: Would Senn HD650 be a big upgrade from HD598 and what are the most notable differences between these cans?

What I'm especially looking for is wider soundstage and more airy sound.

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 34
I've owned both the HD595 and the HD650. If you're looking for any airier sound the HD650s would be a downgrade.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 34
I don't own either of the two headphones listed, but from everything that I have read, the HD598s have one of the largest soundstages of all the Sennheiser phones.

While the HD650 are a technical upgrade, they have a very different sound compared to the HD598. The HD650 will be warmer (more focus on the lower end) while the HD598 will be brighter (more focus on the upper end). Depending on your preferences, you might not like the one, but love the other, or you might enjoy both for the different sounds, so it really depends. As stated, from pure a specifications and technology standpoint, the HD650 is an upgrade, but I do not think it is worth the price since I personally prefer phones with a brighter signature (though the HD650 are still, undoubtedly, a fantastic pair of headphones). Also, the HD598 is no where near as amp dependent as the HD650, but that might be moot depending on what your current set up is.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 34

Quote:
I don't own either of the two headphones listed, but from everything that I have read, the HD598s have one of the largest soundstages of all the Sennheiser phones.

While the HD650 are a technical upgrade, they have a very different sound compared to the HD598. The HD650 will be warmer (more focus on the lower end) while the HD598 will be brighter (more focus on the upper end). Depending on your preferences, you might not like the one, but love the other, or you might enjoy both for the different sounds, so it really depends. As stated, from pure a specifications and technology standpoint, the HD650 is an upgrade, but I do not think it is worth the price since I personally prefer phones with a brighter signature (though the HD650 are still, undoubtedly, a fantastic pair of headphones). Also, the HD598 is no where near as amp dependent as the HD650, but that might be moot depending on what your current set up is.

I suggest you try the HD800s.
smile.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 34
Well he said one of so hes right :)

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 34
I was so impressed with the 598 I thought I'd try the HD-650. Bought a new amp for it and made myself some new cables to get it to sound the way I wanted. Once I recabled my HD-598 with Mogami I sold the HD-650 immediately. It was just that good. Got rid of the HD-650, but at least I found an amp that works great with both the HD-650 and K702.

The HD-650 is a good headphone, but not really an upgrade for me. The HD-598 just does so many things better. None of that bass I hate on the HD-650, more treble, more detail (don't say it!) and a larger soundstage. However the soundstage on the HD-650 may be better, just not as large. The mids of the HD-598 are just too addicting to go back to the HD-650. For me the HD-650 is a downgrade from a recabled HD-598. Sure, with stock cables the HD-650 is technically better...or so they say.

Basically it comes down to the signature you prefer. Me I just prefer the HD-598, that's all. People who want more bass can go with the HD-600 or HD-650.

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 34
Okay so I decided to buy an amp for 598. I currently listen them unamped from M-Audio fast Track USB.

Which would be the best choice in price range 0-300€? Or do I need amplification at all? (only 50 ohms)

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #12 of 34
I got to hear the HD598 for the first time a while ago, and I can safely say that the HD650 is still a better headphone (for me). I believe the HD650 has more detail actually, but the HD 598's more prominent treble will make you think otherwise at first.

Also consider that the HD650 scales incredibly well, perhaps the best out of the sub $900 headphones. Once you get to the higher end amps and sources, it will leave most of its peers in the dust.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 34
I have recently tried both and I personally enjoy the HD 598s ALOT more than the HD 650's. The HD 598's actually have a larger soundstage than the HD 650's - the soundstage of the HD 598's is incredible! It really brings my favorite music to life, and it sounds incredible in my opinion. In terms of sound signature - I didn't enjoy the veiled and dark sound of the HD 650's, but that's just my opinion.I listen to a variety of music including mostly rock and techno and they just didn't do it for me. Also, my amp (Ibasso D4 mamba) probably isn't enough to power the HD 650's correctly, but honestly i just didn't like the veiled sound (highs were rolled off too much). The sound signature of the HD 598's is great - sounds very warm and natural without being overly dark. The mids are a little more forward sounding on these than the HD  600's and HD 650's, which makes rock (and everything IMO) sound better.  Like i said, I am running these through my Ibasso D4 Mamba, and I'm very happy with them. Like I said though, I'm sure my amp wasn't enough to power the HD 650's correctly and I have been told on here that it isnt,  but I didn't want to shell out money for a new amp AND new headphones.  If you're curious you could always order the HD 650's from amazon and return them. They will even refund your original shipping charge. I think to ship my HD 650's back to amazon was about 14 dollars at the post office.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 34
Not really necessary, but if you want these to shine you'll need an amp.  I'm running a HiFiMAN EF2A, and that's worked rather nicely for me.  

Quote:
Okay so I decided to buy an amp for 598. I currently listen them unamped from M-Audio fast Track USB.

Which would be the best choice in price range 0-300€? Or do I need amplification at all? (only 50 ohms)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back