Headphone Measurements: Positioning The Headphone For Measurement
Jan 20, 2018 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

If you can't see the embedded video above, please click here.

We've been talking about headphone measurements a lot on the forums lately, so I wanted to share some of the video PowerPoint slides from a talk I gave at ALMA's annual conference a couple of weeks ago. ALMA International is the International Association of Loudspeaker Manufacturing & Acoustics.

In these video slides, we show you Head-Fi's measurement systems, and walk you through how we position headphones on the measurement fixtures.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 14
Brilliant. Points out to me how / why subjective listening by different people can result in such a wide variety of opinions on how a given headphone sounds. Throw in the wide variety of head and jaw, and inner outer ear shapes and sizes, and hearing acuity, it's no wonder.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 14

Something that should be covered in headphone measurements is how a headphone changes when the seal is broken. A headphone will seal differently and by different amounts when worn by different people and the bass response of some headphones will change significantly when a seal is broken slightly. The Master Dynamic MH40 is an example of this.

Frequency response consistency is another measurement that should be done. A headphone whose frequency response changes significantly with position is something to be aware of. An ideal headphone would have a perfectly consistent frequency response regardless of position and that would make it better suited towards HRTF compensation with products like the Smyth Realiser A16 for greater accuracy as nobody puts a headphone back on at the exact same spot each time.

RTings measures frequency response consistency and so does the gray raw plots of Innerfidelity but they don't show what frequency response was with what position. If the headphone isn't moved very much in testing it will show a better frequency response consistency than if the person doing the testing had moved it more. Look at the Clear and Elear Innerfidelity measurements and you can see how one shows more variance at high frequencies but the design is almost identical. The variance is likely due to differing placements for one than the other. On top of that the swivel mechanism of the headphone will also change the angle of the driver to the ear slightly and as a result alter frequency response. So you can see how extreme amounts of precision is required in headphone placement of not only the cups on the head but also the angle of the headband one the head.

Planar headphones tend to have less variance with position than dynamic headphones. The less room to move in the cup will also improve frequency response consistency. The electrostatic Sennheiser HE 60 has very good frequency response consistency.

he-60-12.jpeg

You can experiment with this by using a tone generator or pink noise in the left or right channel and moving the position of the headphone. You will hear the loudness of the tone change and the tonal balance of the pink noise.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 14

We've been talking about headphone measurements a lot on the forums lately, so I wanted to share some of the video PowerPoint slides from a talk I gave at ALMA's annual conference a couple of weeks ago. ALMA International is the International Association of Loudspeaker Manufacturing & Acoustics.

In these video slides, we show you Head-Fi's measurement systems, and walk you through how we position headphones on the measurement fixtures.

Hi

First let me say wonderfully presented and educational. I do have some concerns or maybe suggestions to engineers of phantoms. I am a dosimetrist in radiophysics and I work with a lot of different phantoms and measuring equipment (mostly anthropomorphic phantoms and water phantoms for QA and QC in radiotherapy where body equivalent materials are crucial for dose measurements) and one thought that occurred to me looking at the lifelike head phantom was the use of silicone ears. While the silicone ears are in my opinion the correct way for measuring (cause they reflect or absorb sound more naturally than hard plastics) I think the entire head/skin should be made from the same material, especially considering the huge 800's that contact a huge surface of the side of the head and I think some of the reflections of sound on hard surfaces are different compared to reflections on a human head and thus should be considered. Now I don't know if it makes much measurable difference in the end, ...but would be more similar to a real head also compressions on a real head/cheek/jaw is also a factor!?

Cheers

Z.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 14
We're very fortunate to have Jude explaining these details. It offsets future controversies, and establishes that while there are better or worse measurements, none are perfect, and differences between the actual listeners physically will always play a role. I will say, a very well measured headphone by a few reputable sources, will get me 90% toward what I end up hearing. It saves us money and time.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 14
It is a bit off topic, but what i really would love to see are some measurements with a tube amp (doesn't matter from what brand). Does the frequency response change over time from "brand new and just powered on" over "running 5,10,30,60 Minutes" to "running 2 weeks straight"?
(The headphones should just get some music while measuring, to ignore the influence of potential changement if the headphones would get a "burn in".)

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 14

Do you check for optimal bass response when moving the earcups around the artificial head? From 6 minutes in, it seems like you only look at the treble frequencies, and just for channel matching, not quantity of bass response (which would indicate a proper seal). Your measurement of the Hifiman HE4XX (https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/produ...netic-headphones/frequency_20170801140351.jpg) shows a much reduced bass response in comparison to Innerfidelity’s (https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MassdropHiFiMANHE4XX.pdf), which suggests you did not achieve a proper fit with these headphones.

Also, do you do multiple trials and average the results by removing the headphones and re-seating them? An averaged measurement would be more accurate and indicative of real-world usage. Both Tyll at Innerfidelity and reddit user oratory1990 (a professional acoustic engineer at an audio research company) do this.

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Do you check for optimal bass response when moving the earcups around the artificial head? From 6 minutes in, it seems like you only look at the treble frequencies, and just for channel matching, not quantity of bass response (which would indicate a proper seal). Your measurement of the Hifiman HE4XX (https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/produ...netic-headphones/frequency_20170801140351.jpg) shows a much reduced bass response in comparison to Innerfidelity’s (https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MassdropHiFiMANHE4XX.pdf), which suggests you did not achieve a proper fit with these headphones....

@bobbooo, our measurement you're referencing above was taken on the GRAS KEMAR (the manikin fixture next to me in the video thumbnail). As I show in the video, KEMAR has some features (cheekbones, jawline, nape of the neck, etc.) that can affect seal (versus a flatter interface like the GRAS 45CA). This is one of the reasons we have made the 45CA our primary fixture (especially for over-ears and on-ears), as it's easier to get a more consistent fit and seal on it. (Again, I do discuss this a bit in the video.) In terms of measurement result (specifically bass output), which is more human-like? I think the answer is somewhere in between the KEMAR and the 45CA.

Long story short, we likely did have a good fit on the KEMAR when we ran that measurement. We monitor the measurements (scope, RMS level, and frequency response) in real time as we position the headphone. Here's a screen shot of a typical positioning screen:

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 11.56.35 AM.png

Fig.1

Like many do when positioning the headphones for measurement, we use a 30 Hz square wave and monitor the waveform in scope view. We can also concurrently observe the RMS level (just below the waveform above). So we are monitoring the bass level while positioning, via scope and RMS level meter. Audio Precision's APx gives us another tool to use when positioning, though -- FFT spectrum view.

As shown in Fig.1 (above), what we've come up with here that we've seen nobody else use is the use of the harmonics of the square wave in FFT spectrum view to give an approximation of the frequency response while positioning, in real time. (I've discussed this technique with many engineers now, the feedback for which has been positive.) Perhaps it is this part of the video that suggests to you we're only looking at treble frequencies.

Typically, the FFT spectrum view window during positioning would look more like this (Fig.2 below):

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 12.13.33 PM.png

Fig.2

The difference between the Fig.1 and Fig.2 screenshots is that the FFT spectrum view in the Fig.2 is set to the standard settings, with the length being 32,000 points (with a 48 kHz SR bandwidth) and no averaging. The other key difference is that in Fig.1 the X-axis on the FFT spectrum view was reduced from 20Hz-to-20kHz to 500Hz-to-20kHz to focus on mids and treble (since bass level monitoring is largely covered by the scope view and RMS level).

What led to this particular use of the FFT spectrum view in Fig.1 was thinking about what a square wave is. Here's a definition from ProSoundWeb:

"A square wave consists of a fundamental sine wave (of the same frequency as the square wave) and odd harmonics of the fundamental. The amplitude of the harmonics is equal to 1/N where N is the harmonic (1, 3, 5, 7…)."

I figured I could use those harmonic spurs to approximate the frequency response in real time to help with positioning -- if we just looked at the tops of those spurs. Even though the amplitude of the harmonics falls as you go higher, there's still enough energy to work with through the audioband -- and all I want is an approximation of the frequency response while positioning. So even the harmonics way up at the top of the audioband from a 30 Hz square wave provide enough usable energy for this purpose.

To do this, we simply reduce the length of the FFT -- reduce its resolution -- so that there's not enough resolution to suss out each spur (especially in the higher frequencies). I used to reduce the length to 4000 points (with 48 kHz SR bandwidth) and then switch to noise (like in the video). However, since that video was posted, I've now reduced the resolution further, to only 2,000 points. (I'm also averaging, which stabilizes the real-time spectrum view.) Typically, I'm looking at a range from 500 Hz to 20 kHz while positioning. With this simple change, I no longer need to switch to noise. We can keep it on the 30 Hz square wave until we're ready to set the level for the sweep and run the sweep.

Long story short, we do use Audio Precision APx to monitor quantity of bass as well as treble response, both in real time, while positioning the headphones.

...Also, do you do multiple trials and average the results by removing the headphones and re-seating them? An averaged measurement would be more accurate and indicative of real-world usage. Both Tyll at Innerfidelity and reddit user oratory1990 (a professional acoustic engineer at an audio research company) do this.

Yes, we do multiple seatings and average those seatings (which the Audio Precision APx software makes quite easy to do). Also, in the past couple of years, we've also made sure to note (for every measurement run we make) the way the headband was positioned and sized (if there are headband detents we note how many clicks out of each side we went with, etc.), which eartips were used, and any other noteworthy things about the positioning and/or environment.

As for multiple seatings, the only exceptions to this are when we're just doing a quick check of something, and also some in-ears we'll do fewer seatings than we'd do with over-ears. In particular, some IEMs that are more anatomically shaped fit into our anthropometric pinnae essentially only one way. If we do two or three re-seats and get identical results, we'll stop there. There's not a lot of latitude to move them at that point, the insertion depth and position defined by the anthropometric pinnae.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 14
@bobbooo, our measurement you're referencing above was taken on the GRAS KEMAR (the manikin fixture next to me in the video thumbnail). As I show in the video, KEMAR has some features (cheekbones, jawline, nape of the neck, etc.) that can affect seal (versus a flatter interface like the GRAS 45CA). This is one of the reasons we have made the 45CA our primary fixture (especially for over-ears and on-ears), as it's easier to get a more consistent fit and seal on it. (Again, I do discuss this a bit in the video.) In terms of measurement result (specifically bass output), which is more human-like? I think the answer is somewhere in between the KEMAR and the 45CA.

Long story short, we likely did have a good fit on the KEMAR when we ran that measurement. We monitor the measurements (scope, RMS level, and frequency response) in real time as we position the headphone. Here's a screen shot of a typical positioning screen:

Fig.1

Like many do when positioning the headphones for measurement, we use a 30 Hz square wave and monitor the waveform in scope view. We can also concurrently observe the RMS level (just below the waveform above). So we are monitoring the bass level while positioning, via scope and RMS level meter. Audio Precision's APx gives us another tool to use when positioning, though -- FFT spectrum view.

As shown in Fig.1 (above), what we've come up with here that we've seen nobody else use is the use of the harmonics of the square wave in FFT spectrum view to give an approximation of the frequency response while positioning, in real time. (I've discussed this technique with many engineers now, the feedback for which has been positive.) Perhaps it is this part of the video that suggests to you we're only looking at treble frequencies.

Typically, the FFT spectrum view window during positioning would look more like this (Fig.2 below):

Fig.2

The difference between the Fig.1 and Fig.2 screenshots is that the FFT spectrum view in the Fig.2 is set to the standard settings, with the length being 32,000 points (with a 48 kHz SR bandwidth) and no averaging. The other key difference is that in Fig.1 the X-axis on the FFT spectrum view was reduced from 20Hz-to-20kHz to 500Hz-to-20kHz to focus on mids and treble (since bass level monitoring is largely covered by the scope view and RMS level).

What led to this particular use of the FFT spectrum view in Fig.1 was thinking about what a square wave is. Here's a definition from ProSoundWeb:

"A square wave consists of a fundamental sine wave (of the same frequency as the square wave) and odd harmonics of the fundamental. The amplitude of the harmonics is equal to 1/N where N is the harmonic (1, 3, 5, 7…)."

I figured I could use those harmonic spurs to approximate the frequency response in real time to help with positioning -- if we just looked at the tops of those spurs. Even though the amplitude of the harmonics falls as you go higher, there's still enough energy to work with through the audioband -- and all I want is an approximation of the frequency response while positioning. So even the harmonics way up at the top of the audioband from a 30 Hz square wave provide enough usable energy for this purpose.

To do this, we simply reduce the length of the FFT -- reduce its resolution -- so that there's not enough resolution to suss out each spur (especially in the higher frequencies). I used to reduce the length to 4000 points (with 48 kHz SR bandwidth) and then switch to noise (like in the video). However, since that video was posted, I've now reduced the resolution further, to only 2,000 points. (I'm also averaging, which stabilizes the real-time spectrum view.) Typically, I'm looking at a range from 500 Hz to 20 kHz while positioning. With this simple change, I no longer need to switch to noise. We can keep it on the 30 Hz square wave until we're ready to set the level for the sweep and run the sweep.

Long story short, we do use Audio Precision APx to monitor quantity of bass as well as treble response, both in real time, while positioning the headphones.

Yes, we do multiple seatings and average those seatings (which the Audio Precision APx software makes quite easy to do). Also, in the past couple of years, we've also made sure to note (for every measurement run we make) the way the headband was positioned and sized (if there are headband detents we note how many clicks out of each side we went with, etc.), which eartips were used, and any other noteworthy things about the positioning and/or environment.

As for multiple seatings, the only exceptions to this are when we're just doing a quick check of something, and also some in-ears we'll do fewer seatings than we'd do with over-ears. In particular, some IEMs that are more anatomically shaped fit into our anthropometric pinnae essentially only one way. If we do two or three re-seats and get identical results, we'll stop there. There's not a lot of latitude to move them at that point, the insertion depth and position defined by the anthropometric pinnae.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually sent my Hifiman HE4XX's to Oratory1990 for professional measurement, and from the results it does look like you didn't get a proper seal to produce accurate bass measurements. Here are his results:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/654wxtmhlq0dhqa/AAAKT-RIbEKpsl-JW7mOnu_9a?lst=&preview=Hifiman+HE4XX.pdf

That's a a 4dB drop-off in the bass down to 20Hz, compared to the almost 11dB drop-off you measured. The drop-off also starts earlier on your measurements at 80Hz, whereas Oratory1990's starts dropping off lower, at around 60Hz. Oratory1990's measurements are also consistent with the bass response measured by Tyll at Innerfidelity, and both agree with my (and others') subjective impressions. Could you re-measure these headphones using the GRAS 45CA?

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually sent my Hifiman HE4XX's to Oratory1990 for professional measurement, and from the results it does look like you didn't get a proper seal to produce accurate bass measurements. Here are his results:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/654wxtmhlq0dhqa/AAAKT-RIbEKpsl-JW7mOnu_9a?lst=&preview=Hifiman+HE4XX.pdf

That's a a 4dB drop-off in the bass down to 20Hz, compared to the almost 11dB drop-off you measured. The drop-off also starts earlier on your measurements at 80Hz, whereas Oratory1990's starts dropping off lower, at around 60Hz. Oratory1990's measurements are also consistent with the bass response measured by Tyll at Innerfidelity, and both agree with my (and others') subjective impressions. Could you re-measure these headphones using the GRAS 45CA?

Yes, we're definitely showing more bass drop down low than his measurement is showing (and a bit of a swell between 50 Hz and 200 Hz his measurement is not showing). Here's the uncompensated measurement on the KEMAR (I don't remember if Massdrop posted this one, too, or if they just showed the DF-compensated one):

HE4XX_FR_uncompensated.jpg

Again, I'm confident we had as good a seating with that HE4XX as we were going to get on the KEMAR, as we do multiple seatings, and we don't usually see measurer-caused seating errors affect both ears the same way at the same time across multiple seatings. Measurement on the GRAS 45CA (as you're requesting) might give us a different result, and perhaps closer to the GRAS 43AC/AG used in the attached measurement, as both have flat metal "cheeks."

We're behind schedule on the CanJam Shanghai Preview Video right now, so there's no time to do it now. If we still have that headphone here (and I think we do), I'll re-measure it on the 45CA when I can find the time, which would definitely be after CanJam Shanghai.

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 14
Yes, we're definitely showing more bass drop down low than his measurement is showing (and a bit of a swell between 50 Hz and 200 Hz his measurement is not showing). Here's the uncompensated measurement on the KEMAR (I don't remember if Massdrop posted this one, too, or if they just showed the DF-compensated one):

Again, I'm confident we had as good a seating with that HE4XX as we were going to get on the KEMAR, as we do multiple seatings, and we don't usually see measurer-caused seating errors affect both ears the same way at the same time across multiple seatings. Measurement on the GRAS 45CA (as you're requesting) might give us a different result, and perhaps closer to the GRAS 43AC/AG used in the attached measurement, as both have flat metal "cheeks."

We're behind schedule on the CanJam Shanghai Preview Video right now, so there's no time to do it now. If we still have that headphone here (and I think we do), I'll re-measure it on the 45CA when I can find the time, which would definitely be after CanJam Shanghai.

Great, I'd really appreciate if you could, thanks. It would be good to get further corroboration of the bass response.

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #12 of 14
Great, I'd really appreciate if you could, thanks. It would be good to get further corroboration of the bass response.

If you like the bass and it definitely doesn't sound to you like my KEMAR measurement looks, then disregard my measurement and enjoy the bass.

Again, sometime after I'm back from Shanghai I'll look for that HE4XX and re-measure on the 45CA. In the meantime, enjoy the headphone. It's a good one. :)

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 14
If you like the bass and it definitely doesn't sound to you like my KEMAR measurement looks, then disregard my measurement and enjoy the bass.

Again, sometime after I'm back from Shanghai I'll look for that HE4XX and re-measure on the 45CA. In the meantime, enjoy the headphone. It's a good one. :)

Thanks, yeah it is a great headphone, especially for the price. I just would like to accurately EQ it to the Harman target frequency response, which would first require a reasonably accurate measurement of the headphones. I think It would also be interesting to see how the 45CA measurements compare to the 43AG.

Aug 22, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 14
Hey @jude

I don’t know if this is the right forum to ask this, but in regards to the new measurement system, are you planning on releasing graphs of all the usual suspects once you’re fully set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back