iMods out of stock?
Jan 3, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luminette: "can't?? won't?" I would think Vinnie or Ken would not be sharp business people if they found they "could" but "wouldn't". And I believe they are both very good business people. Maybe they truly "can't" but if they could, believe they would.

Actually Vinnie has stated it is likely possibly, but possibly not worth it. I believe that in his opinion, the sound quality out of the headphone jack has noticeably improved to the point that it makes him doubt the worth of the new DAC and iPod in the 6gen when modded. The 5th gen seems likely to have better results and the $200 for the modification on the 6th gen seems overly expensive for only a slight improvement. You may do better waiting for more efficient zip connecting hard drives in the future to increase space and battery life.

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually Vinnie has stated it is likely possibly, but possibly not worth it. I believe that in his opinion, the sound quality out of the headphone jack has noticeably improved to the point that it makes him doubt the worth of the new DAC and iPod in the 6gen when modded. The 5th gen seems likely to have better results and the $200 for the modification on the 6th gen seems overly expensive for only a slight improvement. You may do better waiting for more efficient zip connecting hard drives in the future to increase space and battery life.

sorry I missed that information. So are you--or Vinnie--telling me that the 6gen Ipod is real close in sonic qualities to an Imod??? and if that's the case, then why do I continue to use a 5.5g Imod with all the ancillary expensive cabling when I coulda bought a 6gen Ipod and got the same sound??

Am I missing something???
confused.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

sorry I missed that information. So are you--or Vinnie--telling me that the 6gen Ipod is real close in sonic qualities to an Imod??? and if that's the case, then why do I continue to use a 5.5g Imod with all the ancillary expensive cabling when I coulda bought a 6gen Ipod and got the same sound??

Am I missing something???
confused.gif

I have spent a lot of time switching back and fourth between the 6G and the iMod using the BG caps, Vcaps and Auricap docks. To me there is no contest, the 6G sounds thinner, somewhat steely and grainy compared to the iMod. The iMod having superior body with tightness about the bottom end and way better imaging. Now with that said I think the 6G is a wonderful step in the right direction for a stock ipod sound wise. I love the battery life, cover flow and gee, the 160 GB is pretty good too. Just the fact that people are comparing the 6G to the iMod says a lot about the 6G. However, you will find my 6G quite lonely in my shop. Too bad the 5.5g iMod entering the golden years off into the sunset of audio history. I can only hope the 7G is mod-able.

I would like to preface the above statements; for the iMod, to really shine it needs a file that uses the least compression, MP3s do not agree well with the iMod gear and large caps. When I compare the 6G and the iMod using a MP3 256kbps file the gap closes between the two. However, when I use a lossless file the gap is much wider. If anyone is a ripping buff please dispense.

kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jan 3, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #34 of 39
tnmike1: I believe you're slightly misunderstanding the meaning behind Vinnie and ALO not modifying the new iPod Classics. The new iPods do not contain the same high quality Wolfson DAC as previous gens had so bypassing the amplifier stage is somewhat moot because the potential upgrade in fidelity, when compared to previous iMod's, really isn't there anymore. At least that was my take on the subject.

That said, I believe I read somewhere that of all previous and current generation iPods, when comparing stock models, the Classic's line-out is subjectively best.

Edit: Just noticed this. Ken, you share your birthday with Abraham Lincoln! No wonder... You were born to do great things.
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tnmike1: I believe you're slightly misunderstanding the meaning behind Vinnie and ALO not modifying the new iPod Classics. The new iPods do not contain the same high quality Wolfson DAC as previous gens had so bypassing the amplifier stage is somewhat moot because the potential upgrade in fidelity, when compared to previous iMod's, really isn't there anymore. At least that was my take on the subject.

That said, I believe I read somewhere that of all previous and current generation iPods, when comparing stock models, the Classic's line-out is subjectively best.

Edit: Just noticed this. Ken, you share your birthday with Abraham Lincoln! No wonder... You were born to do great things.
wink.gif

thanks for clearing it up for me. I was HOPING I hadn't spent all that money for naught--looks like I didn't.

Love my Imod, both my current 5.5g and my previously-owned 4g. done by these Imod masters

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Love my Imod, both my current 5.5g and my previously-owned 4g. done by these Imod masters

- and between the two, how would you characterize the difference? did you own them at the same time to compare, or not? anyone else? thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- and between the two, how would you characterize the difference? did you own them at the same time to compare, or not? anyone else? thanks in advance.

While I didn't own them at EXACTLY the same time, I did sell the 4 g and buy the 5.5g within a few days. It seems the difference was better than I expected, but that could've been because of the Imod cable that's needed with the 5.5g. Soundstage is wider and much deeper and my Supermacro sounded less "tubey", or more open, with the 5.5g. Bought the 5.5g after much thread-searching where others said the sound was superior to the 4g. too.

Bottom line: if you got the bux, I'd go with the 5.5g. Then spend more on the v-cap for it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back