Personal BEST DAC-AMP & DONGLES discoveries thread (Best finds Reference List)
Nov 11, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #32 of 328
Just got a diy tda1305t similar to this one that @Nymphonomaniac has for 9$! Will try to have fun making a case of wood, and to see If that chip brings up a sound quality on par with my cheap but decent FiiO e70k

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #33 of 328
Just got a diy tda1305t similar to this one that @Nymphonomaniac has for 9$! Will try to have fun making a case of wood, and to see If that chip brings up a sound quality on par with my cheap but decent FiiO e70k
Bro, please share some impressions once you try it, because the one I have is the DUAL TDA1305T one, at about double the price (logical!)....its call DOUK Audio CM108.

Once I will receive my other ''experiment'', will share my toughs here, hope to find a real deal for the little budget with golden ears!

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #35 of 328
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #36 of 328
Just a quick bit of info about a Douk Audio CM108 + dual TDA1305:

I picked up an enclosed version a while back off eBay - works fine OTG with my Tab S2, but doesn't work over an optical connection, haven't tried it with many other things because... one of the caps following the voltage pot was unlabelled (knock off maybe?) and blown. Seller was awesome in helping deal with this - sent replacement caps and issued a refund too - but the caps got caught up in customs or something and took forever to arrive (just showed up a few days ago, haven't had time to mess with it yet).

Don't think impressions would be appropriate since I didn't really get a chance to use it, but I did give it a quick measurement, ~4.8 ohms output impedance @ 1 kHz.

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #38 of 328
Copy paste an interesting dude that I hope will share impressions here:

Its a topic quite close to heart as I have been searching for a similar thing for a while. Bought a Breeze Audio E19 DAC Amp during the 11.11 sale. Its based on the latest ES9028Q2M DAC chip and has changeable op-amp chips.
Its a pure digital DAC / Amp as in it doesn't support line-in. Only input via USB.

It was like US$55/- excluding shipping, you see them now for like US$95~120/- .

The post tracking suggests that I might be receiving them within the next 24 hours. Shall update on my impressions when I get it.

As for choice of format, its really down to your perceived usage. Is it purely desk bound ? If so, there is a few ES9018K2M such as these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/new...-af24-4479-90de-62ba546b1dff&rmStoreLevelAB=0

Or if you want something even more budget friendly:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bre...-2c7d-4d12-b06d-c5dc9802015a&rmStoreLevelAB=0

or AK4490 based ones that are around the US$60/- mark.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bre...-2c7d-4d12-b06d-c5dc9802015a&rmStoreLevelAB=0

Caveat here is that I have not used any of them but if implemented right, these chips will sound plenty good and the prices seem to suggest very good value IMO. Shall update on mine when it comes in over the next day or so.

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #39 of 328
Just a quick bit of info about a Douk Audio CM108 + dual TDA1305:

I picked up an enclosed version a while back off eBay - works fine OTG with my Tab S2, but doesn't work over an optical connection, haven't tried it with many other things because... one of the caps following the voltage pot was unlabelled (knock off maybe?) and blown. Seller was awesome in helping deal with this - sent replacement caps and issued a refund too - but the caps got caught up in customs or something and took forever to arrive (just showed up a few days ago, haven't had time to mess with it yet).

Don't think impressions would be appropriate since I didn't really get a chance to use it, but I did give it a quick measurement, ~4.8 ohms output impedance @ 1 kHz.

Oh, so,you receive it ''defect''? Well, please share impression here....how did it sound trough OTG???

Yeah, it was from douk audio...they are very reliable and consumer support is quite nice....for me...euh, they forgot to include OTG cable....but give me 5$ back cause I was REALLY satistfy with the sound.

I really want someone else to share feedback of this, i'm not god, my ears are subjective surely!

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #40 of 328
A little random addition I've been wondering about recently: Breeze Audio E18 appears to be a push-pull discrete class A amp @ $72 :thinking:
:):):wink::wink:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/E47...ifier-Double-effect-Finished/32815573292.html

Class A....is using a MUSE 01-02 OPamp.....welll....its like 25$...but do the math, so it will be 60$. Intercheangable OPamp permit you to Class A the thing I think!!

read this sentence: MUS02 plus BUF amp effect.

But I'm not an expert about this....just, personally, will try the E17 before spending 2X more for E18. What compenent intrigue you and justify 72$ in the E18???

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #41 of 328
What compenent intrigue you and justify 72$ in the E18???
Discrete design intrigues me - no opamps, just a few transistors - less components in the signal path appeals to me on a basic "well that should be better, right?" sort of level, though obviously implementation is everything in such a design, and I don't really have the know-how to even try to evaluate that sort of thing from some pictures. :shrug:

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #42 of 328
It will be dependent on what you're thinking of using it for. Class A using discrete components has the potential to have a very low output impedance. Very good for low impedance IEMs.
It may also have a very good slew rate and S/N ratios. Measurable characteristics that affect sound output quality. Which is why they are often the more desirable design in full-sized amplifiers, where power delivery is important. And in this case would probably translate well for power hungry headphones.

BUT that is if its done right. They can be utter crap too if not done right.

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #43 of 328
It will be dependent on what you're thinking of using it for. Class A using discrete components has the potential to have a very low output impedance. Very good for low impedance IEMs.
It may also have a very good slew rate and S/N ratios. Measurable characteristics that affect sound output quality. Which is why they are often the more desirable design in full-sized amplifiers, where power delivery is important. And in this case would probably translate well for power hungry headphones.

BUT that is if its done right. They can be utter crap too if not done right.

Wow, I learn some stuffs here, thanks! So this is why I wasnt able to find any opamp lol Was very intrigue by the promise of A amp too, like the cayin....its abut 110$ I think and know it get praised for real. This one, can't say, but Breezeaudio look like to push value bundaries for real. Hum. Perhaps you can try to ask seller for a discount .... Anyway, asking for discount on Ali can work sometime, especially when a product is very obscure and risky. Or searching more will perhaps make you find the same thing without casing hehe :wink:

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #44 of 328
It may also have a very good slew rate and S/N ratios. Measurable characteristics that affect sound output quality.
I thought slew rate in modern equipment was rather like super high-res audio - going beyond "good enough" can be potentially very important specs for some professional production environments for some well studied reasons, but well beyond the capacity of most people to actually hear?

I love me an inky black noise floor though :D

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #45 of 328
Hi all,
I'm using Bravo Audio Ocean for office setup and xDuoo TA-01 for home setup.
Pleased with both of them and no issues whatsoever, Windows 10 drivers for xDuoo came included on CD in the box (was a bit worried about these as I've read they can be problematic).
Got a used Mullard tube for the first and a NOS Tesla for the second.
Good build quality and great sound, very very low noise floor (close to missing), tube harmonics are discrete and pleasant (do not color sound excessively), above decent SNR and THD - I recommend them both.

I picked those based on previously read reviews and until recently never wondered what is the output impedance of them. I would like to know that to anticipate how will they play with future sets.
Can one tell just by looking at the linked specs what would the output impedance be @1 KHz (how most manufacturers are reporting it)?
For instance, I would think that for Bravo where it says "Output Impedance" one in fact should read "Supported headphone impedance" and seeing a minimum of 20 Ohm I would think that output impedance ~1 KHz would be ~2.5 ohm (x8 rule)?
Similarly for xDuoo TA-01 that would be ~1 Ohm?

Are these assumptions correct or I've got it all wrong?
Maybe the more knowledgeable of you would have a clue.

Take care.

Edit: adjusted xduoo interpreted output value.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back