ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
Sep 11, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #1,892 of 5,131
Oh man, up the scale I go :)
I'd be hesitant to drop ~$200 to audition new headphones that I can't return easily on Amazon or something. I suppose what is more likely is I get the D02s, fall in love, and then someday in the future get the H40, fall in love again, and then sell my FH3.

And to think I got back into headphones just 2 months ago in a quest to find a good bluetooth adapter that could use the inline mic on my Xiaomi Mi Triple HD Pros for work calls (hint, all bluetooth adapters that claim to utilize a headphone's existing inline mic have horrible mic pickup quality). Instead of settling for some sort of Jabra headset, I found the LC-BT2 bluetooth neckband with a good built-in mic, and then tried pairing it with the Blon BL-03s, Etymotic ER2XR, Jade Audio EA1, iBasso IT00, and finally the Fiio FH3 and here I am on this thread 😂 ... when will it stop?

simply.. NEVER

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #1,893 of 5,131
Sorry my friend I have a stock H40. I like the tuning the way it is. I have other higher end earphones if I want to hear speedier bass and all the effects of the modded H40. I like to leave earphones alone for what they are and enjoy what the tuner had in mind. Plus I love how my cables affect the H40 tuning which will throw off the cable effects if I mod them so I like to keep it stock. Not to mention it is a great tester earphone for my cables.

H40 has a wider more grander stage vs the Orbs. Orb on the other hand has better more organic fuller bodied tone and imaging with a higher quality bass end. Both have excellent dimensional qualities to the sonics. H40 has better treble extension but the quality of the Orb treble is more natural and cleaner. Both are very musical tunings but do it in a different manner. The H40 has that stage element. Orbs have a spacious sound too but that organic tone and high quality bass separates the Orb from the H40. H40 is more mid bass oriented while the Orbs bass is more even keeled from mid to sub bass. Orbs definitely has the better extension and speed. Both are versatile tuned but due to the slight treble elevation on the H40 it is a bit better on some genres than others. I like rock and metal and pop a bit better on the H40. Bass genres, EDM, hiphop, jazz and vocals on the Orbs. I think both earphones are priced correct for what they throw out sonically. Both are excellent in their price ranges.
What kind of cable you recommend for the H40 ?

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #1,894 of 5,131
You basically describe the same situation I am in. I was captivated by the character of the IT00 sound and was willing to forgive its minor flaws until I got the Fiio FH3. Once I heard the FH3, something seemed lacking in the IT00 treble. I don't know if it was treble extension, sparkle, clarity or what (I'm not analytical about sound), but the IT00 didn't have it. And wherever the IT00 had a little treble peak, it came off as slightly tinny. But the mids and vocals on the IT00, oh my, I was in love with that. The FH3 lacks that character, but is just so solid I made it my desk set.
You may have already ordered the D02, and It is currently my favorite single DD IEM, both for its overall tuning, and it’s wonderful imaging. I like the treble, there is just enough sparkle to be ideal for me, without being harsh, but I don’t think it has a lot of treble overall. The upper treble in particular is not that well extended. It is not dark or veiled at all, but if the treble on the IT00 was inadequate, the D02 might also be. I think there is more overall treble on the IT00. The balance however is different. Due to the huge bass boost on the IT00, it makes the treble seem less. The D02 is a much more balanced sounding IEM, so the treble may not seem overwhelmed in comparison. You may consider performing a mod to decrease the bass on the IT00, but unfortunately, it is irreversible IIRC.

If you really love treble, and want a single DD IEM, of the ones I‘ve heard, I would recommend the Tin T2+. It has VERY clear, crisp, sparkly treble, with a lot of upper treble air/extension.

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #1,895 of 5,131
You may have already ordered the D02, and It is currently my favorite single DD IEM, both for its overall tuning, and it’s wonderful imaging. I like the treble, there is just enough sparkle to be ideal for me, without being harsh, but I don’t think it has a lot of treble overall. The upper treble in particular is not that well extended. It is not dark or veiled at all, but if the treble on the IT00 was inadequate, the D02 might also be. I think there is more overall treble on the IT00. The balance however is different. Due to the huge bass boost on the IT00, it makes the treble seem less. The D02 is a much more balanced sounding IEM, so the treble may not seem overwhelmed in comparison. You may consider performing a mod to decrease the bass on the IT00, but unfortunately, it is irreversible IIRC.

If you really love treble, and want a single DD IEM, of the ones I‘ve heard, I would recommend the Tin T2+. It has VERY clear, crisp, sparkly treble, with a lot of upper treble air/extension.

I think I have to agree with you on the D02's treble. I have heard far brighter sounding IEMs. Despite the upper mids elevation, the rest beyond that doesn't seem to be so. I have never seen a graph of these but I feel like there's a slight drop on the farther end of the treble. Not that it sound dark, more like it's smoothened down a bit. Maybe that's why the upper mids stand out a bit on high pitched vocals. I may be wrong, just my observation.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #1,896 of 5,131

I think I have to agree with you on the D02's treble. I have heard far brighter sounding IEMs. Despite the upper mids elevation, the rest beyond the upper treble doesn't seem to be so. I have never seen a graph of these but I feel like there's a slight drop on the farther end of the treble. Not that it sound dark, more like it's smoothened down a bit. Maybe that's why the upper mids stand out a bit on high pitched vocals. I may be wrong, just my observation.

I wouldn't say I am a treble head, in fact I prefer warm forward mids/vocals with clean but present bass + sub bass. I just want 'enough' clarity/sparkle. The Fiio FH3 has just enough for me treble/sparkle so if the D02 moves closer to that maybe it could work - or maybe I won't be able to find that in this price range. I found the treble on the IT00 to peak slightly oddly and then scoop details I wanted. Just looked up its graph (crinacle) so maybe I just have to keep an eye out for the D02 graph.

Haven't purchased anything yet to replace the IT00, just enjoying the FH3 for now. Keeping an eye on this thread for the D02, the Smabat NCO (this review describes it as airy, warm, L shaped), and the Shozy Form 1.1 as my top contenders right now. Maybe even the Urbanfun YBF.

Sep 11, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,897 of 5,131
I wouldn't say I am a treble head, in fact I prefer warm forward mids/vocals with clean but present bass + sub bass. I just want 'enough' clarity/sparkle. The Fiio FH3 has just enough for me treble/sparkle so if the D02 moves closer to that maybe it could work - or maybe I won't be able to find that in this price range. I found the treble on the IT00 to peak slightly oddly and then scoop details I wanted. Just looked up its graph (crinacle) so maybe I just have to keep an eye out for the D02 graph.

Haven't purchased anything yet to replace the IT00, just enjoying the FH3 for now. Keeping an eye on this thread for the D02, the Smabat NCO (this review describes it as airy, warm, L shaped), and the Shozy Form 1.1 as my top contenders right now. Maybe even the Urbanfun YBF.
You can forget about the Urbanfun due to QC and the FH3 does everything the Urbanfun but better. (at least on my urbanfun lol.)
Shozy form 1.1 might have a hard time with recent releases and it might be sibilant for you if you are sensitive to the 8k peak.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,898 of 5,131

Seriously, look into the T2+.

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,899 of 5,131
This D02 is one smooth operator without compromising treble, lots of sparkle, upfront mids but not overdone and mid-bass is restrained but sufficient while sub-bass is satisfying. Wide soundstage with good separation, with enough detail to enjoy the smooth delivery. I could easily fall asleep listening to these. All this for how much?.......ISN has certainly set the bar high.

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #1,900 of 5,131
You can forget about the Urbanfun due to QC and the FH3 does everything the Urbanfun but better. (at least on my urbanfun lol.)
Shozy form 1.1 might have a hard time with recent releases and it might be sibilant for you if you are sensitive to the 8k peak.
Seriously, look into the T2+.

Thanks! Super helpful from both of you.

Yeah that is a good point - everything I hear about the Urbanfun YBF sounds like at its best it will sound FH3 like, which is a gamble and maybe not as fun having a different sound in my second IEM.

And Tin T2+ - does it have some mids+vocals character to it? Definitely convinced its treble would probably suit me

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,901 of 5,131
Hey all,
First time poster, long-time lurker.

I'm looking for an upgrade from my current daily driver IEM (the infamous BLON BL-03) and am greatly considering the ISN H40. Don't get me wrong, I like my BLONs, but I'd like to treat myself to something new.

However, I just want to make sure that I'm making the right choice before jumping to hitting "submit order" on anything. Particularly since it seems like Penon is the only place I'd be able to order them from.
Some background:
  • My library largely consists of hip-hop, r&b, jazz, and rock/metal.
  • While I don't consider myself a basshead, I do like some power in my lows, just not too the point where it overpowers everything else. To me, the bass helps in keeping things fun/engaging for some genres.
  • I don't have a dedicated DAP or Amp. I listen to my music on my phone when I'm on the go (using the Apple lightning adapter) and my laptop if I'm home.
  • I do like to have long(ish) listening sessions from time to time (2-3 hours), so I need something comfortable.
  • I generally use the Final Type E and JVC spiral dot tips.

Would the ISN H40 be a good fit for me or would I be better served elsewhere? Have there been any QC issues I should be aware of? I understand that Chifi can be a gamble, but I'd like to be conservative. Trying to keep things below $200 or so here.
Happy to provide additional details as needed.

Cheers!
-

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,902 of 5,131
If you have medium/ average sized ears or larger.The H40 will suit your needs. It will do your genres just fine. They are easy to drive as well. Penon is a solid seller and will help you if you have any problems at all. Looks like your looking for a definitive upgrade. H40 should be a nice upgrade for you.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #1,903 of 5,131
And Tin T2+ - does it have some mids+vocals character to it? Definitely convinced its treble would probably suit me
I think the mids are full, to slightly warm sounding. Both male and female vocals sound great. There is good resolution and detail retrieval, IMHO similar to the IT00. There is a good amount of mid bass, but I don’t find that it muddies the midrange. I think it is a well balanced, “neutral-ish with boosted bass“ signature. For more info, look at the Tin HiFi thread.

Again, I REALLY like the D02, and if I though it would satisfy your treble needs, I would definitely recommend it.

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #1,904 of 5,131
Anyone who likes Indian classical music will find the ISN D02 made to measure for it. The spacious nature of the D02 is perfect for such greats like Ustad Bismillah Khan, Ustad Sultan Khan and Ravi Shankar. Also great African artists like Rokia Traore. They are still opening up more.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #1,905 of 5,131
Anyone who likes Indian classical music will find the ISN D02 made to measure for it. The spacious nature of the D02 is perfect for such greats like Ustad Bismillah Khan, Ustad Sultan Khan and Ravi Shankar. Also great African artists like Rokia Traore. They are still opening up more.
Whoa buddy, you're Indian?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back