ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
Nov 6, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #4,711 of 5,126
1699308344424.jpeg

Neo 5 has arrived and 3 songs in, this was the correct purchase. Insane build quality on this as well.

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #4,712 of 5,126
Top: Penon Orb, Penon Globe and Penon Volt
Bottom: Penon 10th Anniversary and Penon Dome
DSC_0195.jpegsw.jpeg

DSC_0199.jpegAA.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #4,713 of 5,126
DSC_0198.jpegW.jpeg

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #4,714 of 5,126
DSC08048.JPG

Penon PAC480 cable on the ISN H40. These cables enhance just about everything that is good about the H40. As musical and engaging as the ISN H40 stock sound is the cables here accentuates the goodness. More expansive, notes have greater weight. Treble seems cleaner sounding. This cable is more copper based so it introduces more dynamic qualities of an earphone sound. Right now for the price I can't recommend a better cable at this price range especially for H40 owners.
Hi Dsnuts,

I'm thinking about getting PAC480 or Penon Vocal for my H40. Since you've tested both the cables, would you please give me some advices on these cable.
Thanks a lot.

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #4,717 of 5,126
The only real issue with the PAC480 is that it is a chonky cable as you can see from the picture. Its not going to be an ergonomic experience. PAC480 smooths out upper frequencies a touch and brings more weight to sound. Its a great cable for taming treble glare and or too much upper mid focused IEMs which the H40 has no issue with.

I have yet to test the H40 with the vocal cable but our buddy @Redcarmoose seem to like the match up and I trust his take on that. Truth is H40 didn't come with the best matching cable and so just about anything you read about cable wise will be a clear upgrade for the H40. It will come down more to esthetics and what the cable does to help enhance the H40.

If you want a more detailed take on the H40 I do like some silver element to the cable on the H40 and while I haven't tested it out yet. I am willing to bet you the new ISN CSO2 will be an excellent match up as it is a technical enhancing cable. Will test a few out and get back to you.

1699458014519.png

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #4,718 of 5,126
The only real issue with the PAC480 is that it is a chonky cable as you can see from the picture. Its not going to be an ergonomic experience. PAC480 smooths out upper frequencies a touch and brings more weight to sound. Its a great cable for taming treble glare and or too much upper mid focused IEMs which the H40 has no issue with.

I have yet to test the H40 with the vocal cable but our buddy @Redcarmoose seem to like the match up and I trust his take on that. Truth is H40 didn't come with the best cable and so just about anything you read about cable wise will be a clear upgrade for the H40. It will come down more to esthetics and what the cable does to help enhance the H40.

If you want a more detailed take on the H40 I do like some silver element to the cable and while I haven't tested it out yet. I am willing to bet you the new ISN CSO2 will be an excellent match up as it is a technical enhancing cable. Will test a few out and get back to you.

1699458014519.png
Thank you Dsnuts. It sounds like both the cables improve mid and sound weight. PAC480 would smooth out the treble while Vocal keep it intact.
Eager to hear your review of the new CSO2 also.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #4,719 of 5,126
What would you like to enhance about the H40 may I ask. More detailed? Greater note weight? More expansive stage?

The reason I say the ISN CSO2 might be a good match up is due to how it enhances clarity, stage, details with better sound separation and imaging for IEMs. I would imagine it will do the same for the H40. H40 being a smoother warmish sound experience a more technical enhancing ability of the ISN CSO2 and it will just enhance the heck out of that sound is my thought. My favorite cable on the H40 was the ISN SC4 which is a half pure silver and half copper type cable. It adds a bit of brightness to the warmth of the H40 and enhances its detail ability with better balancing for my own taste in sound. But the new ISN CSO2 is just as good in what it does as the ISN SC4 imo. Not to mention the all black with gold accents would match up nicely with the H40 shells.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #4,720 of 5,126
What would you like to enhance about the H40 may I ask. More detailed? Greater note weight? More expansive stage?

The reason I say the ISN CSO2 might be a good match up is due to how it enhances clarity, stage, details with better sound separation and imaging for IEMs. I would imagine it will do the same for the H40. H40 being a smoother warmish sound experience a more technical enhancing ability of the ISN CSO2 and it will just enhance the heck out of that sound is my thought. My favorite cable on the H40 was the ISN SC4 which is a half pure silver and half copper type cable. It adds a bit of brightness to the warmth of the H40 and enhances its detail ability with better balancing for my own taste in sound. But the new ISN CSO2 is just as good in what it does as the ISN SC4 imo. Not to mention the all black with gold accents would match up nicely with the H40 shells.
Actually I would like to add note weight and keep the H40 balance without making it sound harsh in the upper frequencies.
Sometimes the original H40 sounds a bit harsh to me in high notes when listening to female vocal such as Emi Fujita or Sara K. However it's perfect for jazz and classical.
That's why I'm looking for the upgrade cable.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #4,723 of 5,126
The H40 got a more forward position in the Vocal area from the Vocal Cable. It to me is magic as well as the Vocal cable was a solution in that it did many of those same features with the ISN EST50. IMO

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #4,725 of 5,126

Users who are viewing this thread

Back