Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 24, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #39,378 of 48,560
Hi everyone!

First off much appreciation to MLE and everyone who contributes here, I have learned much, but at the same time I am having a harder time picking which headphones to buy LoL.

I have a dedicated AT2020 usbi mic so I really just want to get headphones that I can use for gaming, general music and the occasional movie. Oh and it would be a plus if I could use them on my phone. My sound preference is slightly on the warm side. I have settled on the K7xx from massdrop, let me know if this is a good choice though or should I reconsider with the HDxx, DT770s, etc??

Finally, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good wireless headset for the same reasons above but usage with a mobile phone is a must. I just want an un-tethered alternative since I also have a PC hooked up to my LG OLED and I want to maximize that experience late at night without waking my kids. I realize the soundstage will take a hit among other things but I just want to find the best choice for wireless. So far I am liking the Sony MDR 1000xm2s. Any thoughts? Should I also consider the B&W PX, V moda crossfade wireless 2 (they say they have no lag) or something else entirely? What would your top choices be for a wireless alternative???

TIA and again much appreciation to everyone, I am a bit new to the headphone audiophile scene so bear with me.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #39,379 of 48,560
I got a surprise by mail yesterday. Something a little different, and probably very new to most of you.

10d9hxj.jpg

https://usa.1more.com/products/spearheadvr

If you wanna know more.

Please look forward to the review, which will be posted at Headphone.guru in the same manner as some of my recent reviews (recent= the last ones a few years ago, lol), though I will of course add the headset to this guide, as well as add the gaming impressions directly to the guide.

I don't know anything about these but I told @Frank I I'm intrigued by them, so I'd do the review for him. I figure it'd keep my reviewing juices flowing, so to speak. Perhaps after these I'll review something more in line with what you guys normally expect.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #39,380 of 48,560
Hi everyone!

First off much appreciation to MLE and everyone who contributes here, I have learned much, but at the same time I am having a harder time picking which headphones to buy LoL.

I have a dedicated AT2020 usbi mic so I really just want to get headphones that I can use for gaming, general music and the occasional movie. Oh and it would be a plus if I could use them on my phone. My sound preference is slightly on the warm side. I have settled on the K7xx from massdrop, let me know if this is a good choice though or should I reconsider with the HDxx, DT770s, etc??

Finally, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good wireless headset for the same reasons above but usage with a mobile phone is a must. I just want an un-tethered alternative since I also have a PC hooked up to my LG OLED and I want to maximize that experience late at night without waking my kids. I realize the soundstage will take a hit among other things but I just want to find the best choice for wireless. So far I am liking the Sony MDR 1000xm2s. Any thoughts? Should I also consider the B&W PX, V moda crossfade wireless 2 (they say they have no lag) or something else entirely? What would your top choices be for a wireless alternative???

TIA and again much appreciation to everyone, I am a bit new to the headphone audiophile scene so bear with me.

For the first question, I'd say you did perfect with the K7XX. Nothing more I could recommend over those for your needs. Not sure they're the BEST thing for your phone as they may be on the quiet side however.

I wish I had a long list of wireless headsets to recommend, but those are few and far between.

Nov 25, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #39,381 of 48,560
Nov 25, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #39,382 of 48,560
Anyone heard about or tried these...http://www.lucidsound.com/headsets/ls40.html

I am very curious...7.1, DTS:X for consoles, and wireless! If they were open back I might have already bought them. Anyhow, since topic of wireless came up I figured i’d ask.
It's very hard for me to trust anybody who has reviewed those because so many people got sent free pairs to review and you never know whether or not they're trying to cater to the company or give an honest review.

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #39,383 of 48,560
I got a surprise by mail yesterday. Something a little different, and probably very new to most of you.

10d9hxj.jpg

https://usa.1more.com/products/spearheadvr
Great, like we needed more LEDs...
I wonder if they next put those lights also to inside the cup "to improve the sound"...

Wire Material: Enameled Copper Wire
Anyone ever found something else?
Maybe they think buyer of those might be confused and think that you could use cotton thread as electric conductor...

It's very hard for me to trust anybody who has reviewed those because so many people got sent free pairs to review and you never know whether or not they're trying to cater to the company or give an honest review.
And why do they keep always using from very challenging to extremely bad for soundstage -closed design for these surround headsets?
For that boom boom goes the bass sound?

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #39,384 of 48,560
I just got a PS4 and I want to use it on my TV with headphones.

I currently own the Schiit mini stack with I use with the ZMF Eikon, but I don't really want to move the Schiit stack from my desk. What's the best way to get my ZMF Eikon working with good quality sound and surround sound with the PS4?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #39,385 of 48,560
You can be sure whether I get sent a pair of headphones for free or not to get the nitty gritty. I give the companies a chance to refuse the review if I outright tell them it's gonna be a critical review. So at the very least you'll get an honest review of a less than stellar product or I'll let you know a headphone wasn't up to my relatively lax standards.

For instance, the Nuforce HP800 was a free item, and I still reviewed it critically. I dunno if they liked that either. The scores were ok, but the review tells you everything you need to know.

Thankfully, most headphones I reviewed have been at the very least decent, where SOMEONE out there will like what they bring.

I may have burned my bridges with Turtle Beach though after the Z2 review. Hahahaha. Astro also had some bad scores with some other free products I received as well. In fact, the A50 was mine to keep, and I told them it was ok, for them to take it back.

A shame as I have heard things I really liked from these companies. I dunno, maybe I'll contact them to try out some of their better stuff.

The 1more headset will be interesting because I'll have to talk to the boss at Guru if I outright don't like them, to see if he can just dismiss a review. I'm hopeful they'll be decent though. I'll know Monday when I get all day to mess with them.

I wish I had a TRRS female into chat/audio 3.5mm splitter so I could test the headset with my X7. Right now, I can only test it via USB, or phone.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #39,386 of 48,560
Just fired up Civ 4 for the first time in a while and wow, this game has some real soundstage-testing worthy audio. Never noticed it before as I the last time I played this game was before my headphone addiction set in.

The sounds when you are zoomed into the city screen have a lot of very far out staging if you have phones that can hack it. 4000BC era works fine for this so no timesuck necessary.

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #39,387 of 48,560
You can be sure whether I get sent a pair of headphones for free or not to get the nitty gritty. I give the companies a chance to refuse the review if I outright tell them it's gonna be a critical review. So at the very least you'll get an honest review of a less than stellar product or I'll let you know a headphone wasn't up to my relatively lax standards.

For instance, the Nuforce HP800 was a free item, and I still reviewed it critically. I dunno if they liked that either. The scores were ok, but the review tells you everything you need to know.

Thankfully, most headphones I reviewed have been at the very least decent, where SOMEONE out there will like what they bring.

I may have burned my bridges with Turtle Beach though after the Z2 review. Hahahaha. Astro also had some bad scores with some other free products I received as well. In fact, the A50 was mine to keep, and I told them it was ok, for them to take it back.

A shame as I have heard things I really liked from these companies. I dunno, maybe I'll contact them to try out some of their better stuff.

The 1more headset will be interesting because I'll have to talk to the boss at Guru if I outright don't like them, to see if he can just dismiss a review. I'm hopeful they'll be decent though. I'll know Monday when I get all day to mess with them.

I wish I had a TRRS female into chat/audio 3.5mm splitter so I could test the headset with my X7. Right now, I can only test it via USB, or phone.
Oh I trust your reviews and have bought at least 5 headphones you reviewed. It's when you see youtubers all getting the same headphones at the same time from companies like turttle beach. I mean I dont blame them really. They have to make a living too. That's why I like coming to a place like this where people can be honest about the products.

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #39,388 of 48,560
Oh I trust your reviews and have bought at least 5 headphones you reviewed. It's when you see youtubers all getting the same headphones at the same time from companies like turttle beach. I mean I dont blame them really. They have to make a living too. That's why I like coming to a place like this where people can be honest about the products.

To be fair, it's probably because the companies have just released that product and have sent them out to all media for impressions/reviews. They can't always cherry pick what they want.

It makes sense to review what's current and upcoming. Filling a niche as to review only what's well known and tested isn't sustainable if you're making s living off reviewing. You gotta have SOME rapport with companies. Some make it easier than others by always releasing good products however.

Like, I'm positive everything Sennheiser sends me is gonna be good in some way. They don't seem to make a bad product. At least nothing I've personally used.

The gaming companies MAY however have some hits and misses. Those are trickier.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #39,389 of 48,560
To be fair, it's probably because the companies have just released that product and have sent them out to all media for impressions/reviews. They can't always cherry pick what they want.

It makes sense to review what's current and upcoming. Filling a niche as to review only what's well known and tested isn't sustainable if you're making s living off reviewing. You gotta have SOME rapport with companies. Some make it easier than others by always releasing good products however.
Thats totally fair. I did make a rather broad statement earlier. I think I have just gotten less trusting now days with how much money some of these headphones cost. I guess that's really on me. I certainly shouldn't discourage anyone from looking into reviews for headphones considering how many you have reviewed and have gotten me to buy (I haven't been let down so far). So yea, that was an ignorant statement I made before. I guess from now on I'll just suggest people check multiple reviews to help them make the best decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back