Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Aug 12, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #34 of 1,441
I'm buying it because it's a Cavalli for the price of a few pizza's and beer...
You're buying some darn expensive pizza and beers... :wink:

But seriously, I have been thinking of venturing into the world of tubes, and was seriously considering the Little Dot Mk3...
I might choose this instead (practically, the same price).
The LD Mk3 is OTL (with 4 tubes) and this is a hybrid (single tube).
Any comparison (or guess) on difference between them?

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #35 of 1,441
Is it worth getting? Not considering the price? I see multiple comments that it is a name license and not product produced by Cavalli... So apple and oranges, but this or the real thing for way more money at some point...

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #37 of 1,441
I'd love to see the innards before deciding to get in on the drop or not. It's only a good deal if the internals aren't compromised for cost.

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #39 of 1,441
Those comments are not correct. This is totally my design (or, more accurately, redesign of the DIY CTH), licensed to Massdrop.

Alex - how would YOU describe its sound, compared to OTL and to solid state?
I have a solid state (non-Cavali) amp, and would like to venture to tube sound, but to be honest not even sure if the right way to go is OTL or Hybrid for some tube sound for noobs (coming from solid state)...
ANY opinion / feedback would be useful :)

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #40 of 1,441
Those comments are not correct. This is totally my design (or, more accurately, redesign of the DIY CTH), licensed to Massdrop.

Any word on the number of watts it outputs into, say, 300 ohms?

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #42 of 1,441
Amazing how far we've come along. Remember the days when Cavalli built amps meant spending over $1k and the days when mentioning Massdrop was a nono?!!?!
Now we've got a sub $300 Cavalli amp and Massdrop appearing front and center.

I wonder how this stacks up against the Garage 1217 Project Sunrise/Horizon and Solstice/Ember. Those amps are amazing for the price and they even double as a preamp... when paired with an LPS they are TOTL traits.

I've always thought Cavalli amps to be overpriced.. but that was before I was able to afford them without even blinking. Unfortunately now that I can collect all of their amps, I still think they're overpriced. I suppose the Chinese and value based amp makers out there really made diminishing returns a stretch for true high end amps. However I do know plenty of users very happy with their Fire and Gold, along with their other products. The LC imo is wonderful for the price, albeit maybe needing just a hair more in power dept. Can't wait to hear this Massdrop piece!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #43 of 1,441
Maybe I will jump on this drop. It doesn't cost that much. We shall see.

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #45 of 1,441
I think I might jump on this too depending on what the timing of the drop is like and how big the window of opportunity is. Never had a tube amp before.

Same for me. I am curious if it can improve the HD 650 and HD 800 as most people say you need tubes with these headphones.

But if I have to wait till december for shipping, then i am not sure if I will do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back