Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Aug 12, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #64 of 1,441
I normally would, but this unit is a pre-production version. Not sure it's really fair to show it off given it isn't quite the final form yet. I'll ask about it though.
And that's how one becomes trusted enough to be sent a pre-production version of anything. Judgment is a good thing!!!

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #66 of 1,441
Maybe Alex could provide sound description against the Liquid Carbon. Is it within a striking distance or quite a noticeably drop from that. I would not just buy something based on price any more. Remember that you can easily buy a second hand $500 desktop amp for around $200 less. Also, this is a tube hybrid amp not a pure tube amp; hence, tube-rolling will be less pronounced. Also, the better the PSU....the better tuberolloing results will be. Also, tube hybrid will be less lush sounding than a pure tube amplifier. YMMY.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #67 of 1,441
This product looks great, and I think I might be interested. I've never used Massdrop before (it looks amazing though), will be there be a return policy for this product?

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #68 of 1,441
This product looks great, and I think I might be interested. I've never used Massdrop before (it looks amazing though), will be there be a return policy for this product?

The return policy is you keep it. If you don't like it I'm sure after the drop is over there will be people thinking, 'gee, I wish I'd bought one of those'.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #73 of 1,441
Even vaguer answer...
Well, let me pop the question into my HF translator.

Convert "This Vs the Grace M9XX?" to English =

"I'm too lazy to look up reviews on each for myself, and to apply my tastes and personal preference to what I've learned, so someone please do the work for me".

My answer would be... No.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #74 of 1,441
Also, tube hybrid will be less lush sounding than a pure tube amplifier. YMMY.

That's not true at all. It's completely dependent on the design. Compare a Liquid Crimson or Glass to a Glenn OTL or an Ampsandsound Kenzie and tell me a hybrid isn't as lush.

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #75 of 1,441
Time is running out, need to make a decision VERY soon, and I am not getting answers to my newbie questions... :frowning2:

I only have experience with SS amps (currently using Schiit Jot), and would like to buy a tube amp in addition - I want to experience that tube sound people like so much.
Is this one a good amp to experience tube sound? Some early reviewers mentioned it was not very "tubey"... or should I get an OTL tube amp like Feliks Elise or Little Dot Mk3 to get a better "tube sound experience"?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back