Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Aug 13, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #76 of 1,441
Time is running out, need to make a decision VERY soon, and I am not getting answers to my newbie questions... :frowning2:

I only have experience with SS amps (currently using Schiit Jot), and would like to buy a tube amp in addition - I want to experience that tube sound people like so much.
Is this one a good amp to experience tube sound? Some early reviewers mentioned it was not very "tubey"... or should I get an OTL tube amp like Feliks Elise or Little Dot Mk3 to get a better "tube sound experience"?

Thanks.

I'd suggest pumping the breaks, doing research, and making a confident and informed decision. Right now it looks like you'd end up unhappy with any purchase due to the uncertainties you have.

Not sure why the rush.

So, if I had to pick one you listed, I'd say... Neither, go w/ Bottlehead Crack+SB. (Easier & cheaper to tube roll which is a plus.)

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #77 of 1,441
I was looking for a tube-amp, and here one is. :)

Right now I'm using the Audio-GD NFB-28 for my HD6XX, LCD-2.2F, and HD800. I love the sound. But I'm interested in playing around with Tubes. Think this might be too good not to jump on.

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #78 of 1,441
I agree. You should go for it. I, however, find it difficult to justify the purchase given my extant MJ2 and Vali 1...if I get another amp it'll be a DNA stratus or else a BHSE lol

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #79 of 1,441
Time is running out, need to make a decision VERY soon, and I am not getting answers to my newbie questions... :frowning2:

I only have experience with SS amps (currently using Schiit Jot), and would like to buy a tube amp in addition - I want to experience that tube sound people like so much.
Is this one a good amp to experience tube sound? Some early reviewers mentioned it was not very "tubey"... or should I get an OTL tube amp like Feliks Elise or Little Dot Mk3 to get a better "tube sound experience"?

Thanks.

I would prefer the BH Crack to my first real tube experience tbh. Although the Elise has a ton of good (mostly over-hypped) reviews i don't think i will ever sell the Crack, my 600 simply loved it. Although it wasn't as good with the HD800 (i have the Cavalli Crimson for that) it really gives me a good tube sound for a good price and i just like it overall.

It's obviously, imo,important to have experience with SS, hybrids and Tube amps but i wouldn't, at all, say that a hybrid "replaces" a tube and vice-versa.

I am now very satisfied with what i have and the Crimson, imo again, is the best Cavalli amp and that's the reason i still have it. From another website with users that helped "tune" this new massdrop hybrid the impressions were really good so i think it will be a "safe bet" but don't keep this potential buy from preventing you to experience a proper good tube amp, whichever it may be.

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #80 of 1,441

Thanks.

That headphones are you planning on using?

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #83 of 1,441
I'd suggest pumping the breaks, doing research, and making a confident and informed decision. Right now it looks like you'd end up unhappy with any purchase due to the uncertainties you have.

Not sure why the rush.

So, if I had to pick one you listed, I'd say... Neither, go w/ Bottlehead Crack+SB. (Easier & cheaper to tube roll which is a plus.)

The rush is due to the drop that opens in less than 24 hours, and depending on quantity - might end VERY fast...
Will do some reading tonight on Bottlehead Crack. Thanks for the recommendation!

I would prefer the BH Crack to my first real tube experience tbh. Although the Elise has a ton of good (mostly over-hypped) reviews i don't think i will ever sell the Crack, my 600 simply loved it. Although it wasn't as good with the HD800 (i have the Cavalli Crimson for that) it really gives me a good tube sound for a good price and i just like it overall.

It's obviously, imo,important to have experience with SS, hybrids and Tube amps but i wouldn't, at all, say that a hybrid "replaces" a tube and vice-versa.

I am now very satisfied with what i have and the Crimson, imo again, is the best Cavalli amp and that's the reason i still have it. From another website with users that helped "tune" this new massdrop hybrid the impressions were really good so i think it will be a "safe bet" but don't keep this potential buy from preventing you to experience a proper good tube amp, whichever it may be.

Thanks! The Crimson is a little (read: a lot...) outside my budget. Will read about the crack tonight.

That headphones are you planning on using?

My (insanely ever growing collection) includes:
Mr. Speakers Ether Flow open and AEONs, HD600, HiFiMan 400i (to list a few).

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #84 of 1,441
The rush is due to the drop that opens in less than 24 hours, and depending on quantity - might end VERY fast...
Will do some reading tonight on Bottlehead Crack. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks! The Crimson is a little (read: a lot...) outside my budget. Will read about the crack tonight.

I would wager you're gonna have better luck with this amp over an OTL using that selection of headphones.

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #85 of 1,441
I would wager you're gonna have better luck with this amp over an OTL using that selection of headphones.

Forgot to mention:
I am currently using (and love) the Schiit Jot.
I am looking for an amp to complement (not replace) it, and experience some "tube magic".

I was worried the new MD hybrid might sound too much like a SS (read: my Jot).

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #87 of 1,441
Don't rush! This will pop on Massdrop every few weeks for the next three years... No need to rush. I would wait for a review or two after the first drop and initial buzz...

You're probably right.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #88 of 1,441
Don't rush! This will pop on Massdrop every few weeks for the next three years... No need to rush. I would wait for a review or two after the first drop and initial buzz...

The reason to rush is because I bet this has a late December delivery date.

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #89 of 1,441

If those are your headphones, you should skip the Crack. It's really only meant to drive 300 ohm and 600 ohm headphones. It will sound like hot garbage with all your planars.

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #90 of 1,441
If those are your headphones, you should skip the Crack. It's really only meant to drive 300 ohm and 600 ohm headphones. It will sound like hot garbage with all your planars.

Good advice - thanks!
So, what do you think about the MCTH with my headphones? What about OTL like Felisk Elise or Little Dot Mk3? I believe they're supposed to support headphones 32 ohms to 300 ohms (from memory)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back