Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Aug 13, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #91 of 1,441
Well, let me pop the question into my HF translator.

Convert "This Vs the Grace M9XX?" to English =

"I'm too lazy to look up reviews on each for myself, and to apply my tastes and personal preference to what I've learned, so someone please do the work for me".

My answer would be... No.

Come on dude be cool. some would love to do the research to help others, isn't that why we're here for, to help each other.

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #92 of 1,441
I was definitely going to get this until I saw the details. Deal Killers for me:
1. It is not designed to also be a preamp for (e.g. powered) speakers.
2. For me that means the chassis takes up too much space--it takes up too much room for my headphone only applications.
3. A switching power supply sends noise back down you electricity source wires to whatever other components you have on, certainly on that circuit and even throughout the house. This will impact the sound quality of any other equipment you are using. Hence one would need to keep that power supply turned off when not using it! If you add the price of a good linear power supply, the price on this no longer looks attractive. (Some other people that know more than I have noted that 28 volts is an unusual level, finding something would be difficult.)

"The devil is in the details" and for me in this case they don't pan out. YMMV
NF

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #93 of 1,441
Good advice - thanks!
So, what do you think about the MCTH with my headphones? What about OTL like Felisk Elise or Little Dot Mk3? I believe they're supposed to support headphones 32 ohms to 300 ohms (from memory)...

I haven't heard it yet, but I've had extended listens with all of Alex's other amps and owned a couple of them too, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them with that gear. So my best guess is this will pair very well with your gear, with the caveat that I don't have direct impressions.

FWIW, I know with 100% hands-on direct certainty that the Liquid Carbon pairs outstandingly with all of your headphones (and probably better so than just about anything (with a couple exceptions) until you get into the $1,500 range where there are a lot of options). And those are quite readily available used.

Still, I think this MCTH will be quite good, and I'm totally grabbing one to try, even if I don't need it.

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #94 of 1,441
This Vs the Grace M9XX?

You do realize one is a Dac/Amp and one is just Amp... If you compare Amp sections I am pretty sure Cavalli will have an edge... But realistically two different beast. If you just want simplicity and good unit I would go for Grace... Interested in playing with different Dac units? Rolling tubes? Cavalli unit... These are not really direct competitors... Both probably very good devices. But apples and oranges.

Aug 14, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #96 of 1,441
I haven't heard it yet, but I've had extended listens with all of Alex's other amps and owned a couple of them too, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them with that gear. So my best guess is this will pair very well with your gear, with the caveat that I don't have direct impressions.

FWIW, I know with 100% hands-on direct certainty that the Liquid Carbon pairs outstandingly with all of your headphones (and probably better so than just about anything (with a couple exceptions) until you get into the $1,500 range where there are a lot of options). And those are quite readily available used.

Still, I think this MCTH will be quite good, and I'm totally grabbing one to try, even if I don't need it.

I currently own the Schiit Jot. No idea how it compares to the LC, but I am happy with it. Just looking to complement it with a tube or hybrid amp...

Aug 14, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #99 of 1,441
lol I was rushing just to get in the drop that I didn't bother seeing the shipping date until I saw the comments...
but i'm not in a rush for an amp, so I don't mind "that" much. Hopefully during this long waiting period they realized there are other potential upgrades that they could implement in... and hopefully an option for a built in LPS for an extra $$$ to avoid more stacks...

Aug 14, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #100 of 1,441
That would be nice! 6 months is a long time. I am itching to get a tube hybrid, the way I see it, I have 16 days to change my mind, maybe I'll trial the Lyr 2 in the mean time :)

Aug 14, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #101 of 1,441
That estimated ship time is brutal. Feb of 2018? Ouch :frowning2:

Yep. I was hoping they had already built up some inventory, since this is obviously going to be a popular seller, but apparently not. I am probably going to buy it anyway, but it does solve one quandary. I have the HD 6XX coming from Massdrop around Xmas time and was planning to order a cable for it in early Fall (from a one man shop that made me a beautiful braided cable for my HD 700 for around $100, but he takes 1-2 months to complete orders). After learning of this drop, I was debating whether to get an XLR cable or not to pair with this amp (yes, I know the CTH is completely single ended, but some think the XLR connector is superior to a 1/4 inch jack even in a non-balanced amp). Since the CTH is not scheduled to ship for more than two months after I (hopefully) have received the 6XX, I'll just go with a 1/4 inch plug. LOL, I'll probably end up getting yet another set (or two) of tubes to roll in my Little Dot MK III before I get my hands on this.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #103 of 1,441
Joined the drop. Shipping Feb 27th 2018.

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #104 of 1,441
That estimated ship time is brutal. Feb of 2018? Ouch :frowning2:
Yeah, I saw than upon completion of my order...and promptly cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back