Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Aug 14, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #121 of 1,441
I opted in as well, although waiting 6 months is kind of a nightmare. It is a total want to have, not a need to have. So, when it comes it comes. I will get to try the legendary Cavalli sound when it arrives. In the meantime, I will continue to hate waiting. I will try to forget I even ordered it...

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #123 of 1,441
Aug 14, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #124 of 1,441
How about a year minus 6 months?

It is actually longer than 26 weeks / 6 months / half year... :frowning2:
Estimated delivery is Feb. 27 - that makes it 6 months + 13 days. almost 28 weeks.
Sigh. I am not good at waiting...

Aug 14, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #125 of 1,441
I joined. I am very curious to hear this new CTH versus my existing Schiit Saga + Schiit Jotunheim setup. The Saga is already giving my Jot some tube euphonics and a wider (although still very up front) stage so it will be very, very interesting to hear how close the $249 CTH can get to it. No, I don't need it but at $249 it isn't a large investment for what seems to be a very nice entry level hyrbid amp.

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #126 of 1,441
I really dont know about that 27weeks wait + delivery.... It truely shock me, when i saw the waiting time, as i though i can have good chrismas present

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #127 of 1,441
I am really interested in the CTH hybrid tube amp - itching to bite the bullet. Until I saw this drop, I was considering Linear Tube Audio MZ2, costing $1000 more. I understand that the latter is a pure tube amplifier, versus the hybrid tube amplifier in the CTH. Anyone have any insights or personal experiences with either of these two and how they should perform comparatively sound-wise? I only do about 25% of my listening on headphones, mostly with Grado sr325e and Oppo PM-3, with also an old VModa and a few low-priced IEMs. I currently have a Dragonfly Red that I use for both DAC and headphone amplifier at this time, but looking to try out some tube taste and the performance with a stronger discrete headphone amplifier. How would the Dragonfly Red DAC with line out pair to any of these two amplifiers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #128 of 1,441
I currently own the Schiit Jot. No idea how it compares to the LC, but I am happy with it. Just looking to complement it with a tube or hybrid amp...
In the same boat as well. Currently using the Schiit Jotunheim as my main amp, and am looking for a complementary amp (tube or hybrid) like this one. Like yourself, I'm slowly building a collection of headphones. Ever since I first heard the MrSpeakers Aeon, I love the planar type of sound. And pairing with a few planars and some great dynamics (Fostex TH-X00 and HD 6XX on the way)...I'm definitely picking up this amp...

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #129 of 1,441
In the same boat as well. Currently using the Schiit Jotunheim as my main amp, and am looking for a complementary amp (tube or hybrid) like this one. Like yourself, I'm slowly building a collection of headphones. Ever since I first heard the MrSpeakers Aeon, I love the planar type of sound. And pairing with a few planars and some great dynamics (Fostex TH-X00 and HD 6XX on the way)...I'm definitely picking up this amp...

Josh - I did end up joining the drop. My main concern, after reading all of the early impressions:
One or more mentioned that this amp does not really sound very "tubey". That kinda defeats my purpose for it, as I already got a decent SS amp (the Jot)...
I was initially looking at Little Dot Mk3 (same $250 price) or the Feliks Elise (approx $600-700 used on Head-Fi) for a "tube experience". Figured I will join the drop to avoid remorse of missing out on it.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #130 of 1,441
Don't rush! This will pop on Massdrop every few weeks for the next three years... No need to rush. I would wait for a review or two after the first drop and initial buzz...

"This drop is limited to 1,000 units. The first 500 purchasers are guaranteed a serial number under 550."

The drop opened at 6:00am. I set my alarm for 5:45am. Opened up a couple different browsers and hit refresh until the drop open.
I most definitely wanted to be within the first 500 purchasers. Oh that serial number......

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #131 of 1,441
"This drop is limited to 1,000 units. The first 500 purchasers are guaranteed a serial number under 550."

The drop opened at 6:00am. I set my alarm for 5:45am. Opened up a couple different browsers and hit refresh until the drop open.
I most definitely wanted to be within the first 500 purchasers. Oh that serial number......

If the serial number is laser engraved then sure, but if it is just a crappy sticker pasted on like the HD6XX then it's pretty much worthless IMO.

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #132 of 1,441
Josh - I did end up joining the drop. My main concern, after reading all of the early impressions:
One or more mentioned that this amp does not really sound very "tubey". That kinda defeats my purpose for it, as I already got a decent SS amp (the Jot)...
I was initially looking at Little Dot Mk3 (same $250 price) or the Feliks Elise (approx $600-700 used on Head-Fi) for a "tube experience". Figured I will join the drop to avoid remorse of missing out on it.
Only problem is that full OTL tube amps (Little Dot MKIII) don't play nice with Planars, and are only useful if you have a collection of Sennheisers, or other 250, 300, 600 ohm headphones. Hybrid designs (Little Dot MarkIII SE) do, then you run into the problem which one sounds better.The only full tube amp (OTL design) that I know of which has been designed from the ground up to work a wide selection of head phones including planars is the Schiit Vallhalla 2... I was looking at it myself, still might consider down the line. The Feliks Elise is a solid option, though that's up to you.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #133 of 1,441
Only problem is that full OTL tube amps (Little Dot MKIII) don't play nice with Planars, and are only useful if you have a collection of Sennheisers, or other 300 and 600 ohm headphones. Hybrids like (Little Dot MarkIII SE is fine) do, then you run into the problem which one sounds better... Don't know much about the Feliks Elise (have to look it up), but the only full tube amp that I know of which has been designed from the ground up to work a wide selection of head phones including planars is the Schiit Vallhalla 2...and bonus it's also an OTL design. I was looking at it myself, still might consider down the line.

All good points. Since I already committed to the CTH - I will leave it (and wait for 6+ months...)
I do own the HD600, but everything else I got is in the 30-60 ohms range or so. Will do some research on the Valhalla 2 :)

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #134 of 1,441
I have 3 Cavalli amps (Gold, Carbon V1 & Crimson), I waited for 5+ months for 2 of them and those 2 are the most special to me. There's a uniqueness to the Cavalli experience and patience is part of it. The protection circuit on the Gold takes 2min on startup and all the Cavalli amps need 30+min to sound their best. If you're not up for that, it's fine. Just know that convenience is overrated, just ask vinyl aficionados :)

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #135 of 1,441

I did the same thing. Dot at 6.00am PST i made the drop. For the price 6 months is worth the wait

Users who are viewing this thread

Back