Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
Jan 8, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #32 of 498
Nice! Haven't really cared too much about any new high-end headphones/flagships lately. That all changed today...

This ^

Tried all of the latest and past flagships, and currently settled on the Abyss Phi.

This interests me A LOT though. HD 800 was my first flagship ever and I always liked it. Curious if I'll end up as an owner of an 820 within the next year or so.

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #33 of 498
That would be music to my ears!.

Bass extension is the only major issue I have as a HD 800 S owner - if they keep most of the soundstage/resolution while delivering on the closed headphone bass potential they have a huge hit on their hands. Bass extension* is the weak point of all open headphones, it´s just physics.

One of the (if not the) main selling points of the entire Focal high end lineup is that they managed to extend the bass by quite a lot in an (semi?) open design which was until then more or less unheard of. It was done by designing a speaker like driver with more excursion than usual. This is another approach at the same goal, but doing deep bass in a closed design is going to be a lot easier than in any open one. It´s the same as with in ear monitors: if you break the seal the sub bass is the first to go. An open headphone is basically like an IEM without a good seal.

* And bass distortion too as the drivers have to be driven really hard to provide any decent amount of low bass.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #34 of 498
Too expensive. More greed at work from headphone companies. But who cares, right?

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #38 of 498
Can't wait to see the measurements (that don't reflect flaws found in every measurement on every other site)!

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #42 of 498
I was hoping for a baby Orpheus.... Too soon I guess. Oh well, still something to watch

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #43 of 498
Kudos Senny. Looks great !!

Ether C Flow Vs Z1R Vs HD820 . I wonder who will win this :L3000:

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #44 of 498
or better bass extension

Yea well I love bass :frowning2: though I was able to make hd800s rumble on my head with a jds c5d with the bass boost on 6 db

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #45 of 498
They certainly look the part. I think it’s a shame that they’re so expensive as I really thought they would be pitched around the same price as the 800S. I just have the feeling that they could earn their keep around €1400, and not taking the big leap towards 2400, joining the rapidly expanding roster of other totl ‘phones.
I haven’t heard the AKG 872, but I’d be interested how these two compare.
Back to my HD800S!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back