Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
Jan 8, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #62 of 498
Shall be keeping a close eye on this one. Had an interesting conversation on discord just now - Could @Sennheiser shed some light on the resonant frequency of the glass being employed? The material property of the glass has a natural frequency well within human hearing FR range, so I'm assuming that the spherical curvature has helped to mitigate this, in addition to deflecting/dispersing resonances etc.

Further context: natural frequency is affected by material, structural, liquid immersion, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #67 of 498
Sennheiser is jammed up. The cash-cow 800 series is facing serious competition from Mr. Speakers and Focal. The 'bread and butter' part of the line has been chewed up by massdrop sales.

Solution? I know, we'll put twenty dollars worth of gorilla glass on our flagship can and bump the price up seven hundred dollars.

For less than the price of these you can get a pair of Stax L700 (best Lambda can they ever made) AND a very nice 353X amp to run them.
True, and we seem to forget what is available for that amount of money and what has been proven to be outstanding, like Stax.

This whole flagship headphone thing has become a game of one-upmanship between the major players as far as pricing goes. Seems they will affix whatever price they can get away with just to make it appear that they have a better product than the last guy.

Jan 8, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #68 of 498
Love it

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #70 of 498
Beautiful!

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #71 of 498
Interesting entry. For now, extreme happy with the HD800S {after owning the HD800 for 4 years}. For those complaints about bass, try Sonarworks.. love it.
I have no need for a closed headphone but will be watching this one. Love the Gorilla Glass.. Innovative!

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #74 of 498
Yup. And the law of diminishing returns, which is now is synonymous with flagship headphones.

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #75 of 498
Notably absent was mention of 'bass' betterment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back