Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #91 of 498
Price seems to compete again'st the Sony MDR Z1R, so I imagine they are targeting the same audience. But with a different sound of course

I too agree that the 4.4mm is a goofy choice. At this price point I hope they'd at least include a 4pin XLR as well but I doubt it.

Because 6.5mm is an at home standard. But if 4.4 can replace 6.5mm and 3.5/2.5mm balanced I'm all for it... it really is a nice happy medium

Sound wise here's to hoping they impressive. I've been curious as to what could serve as a "closed back hd 800" and I guess this would be it!
The Sony MDR Z1R costs USD1774.53 in my country..doesnt come close to the HD820's price tag...

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #94 of 498
to me a closed back, full size headphone that really isn’t portable is useful and honestly is my preference as far as presentation goes but it needs to meet certain criteria. Just how good is the noise isolation on these Sennheiser?

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #95 of 498
Still very few home ones, BUT if it's as you say and as I hope and they're sensitive enough to drive from a powerful DAP (DX200 with Amp 4 in my case), then that would be sweet.

Completely agree that there's not enough home use amps with 4.4mm connectors and wish more makers would come out with them, which is why full size headphones being boxed with a 4.4mm cable is much needed to drive adaptation. It is good that besides Sony Sennheiser is also taking the initiative because with their brand name it really helps to get the message out there.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #96 of 498
The HD 820 establishes a new reference standard for its class, with an incredibly realistic and natural sound field. This breakthrough performance has been achieved through a special innovation: Over each of the legendary Sennheiser Ring Radiator transducers are unique glass covers. Revealing the acoustics within, the patent-pending curved Gorilla glass serves to reflect the sound waves from the rear of the transducer to two absorber chambers, which results in minimal resonance.​
Looks like 820 is a better kept secret than iPhone X
Not really. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheisers-new-dynamic-flagship.845643/

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #98 of 498
Well not saying anything specifically. But Denon/ Foster/ Fostex have semi-closed cans in stock form. Barely isolate and also leak (I've got the 900). AKG 872 sounded worse than an m50x...so really not many filling that role of actually isolating, not leaking, and also sounding good.

which begs the question, how does the 820 isolate.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #103 of 498
True, and we seem to forget what is available for that amount of money and what has been proven to be outstanding, like Stax.

This whole flagship headphone thing has become a game of one-upmanship between the major players as far as pricing goes. Seems they will affix whatever price they can get away with just to make it appear that they have a better product than the last guy.

I've never seen a pair of Stax that look this good -- they're usually extraordinarily hideous and look like they belong in a garage. :beerchug:

Yes, I know, only the sound matters.... but if I were going to pay on the order of $2,500 for headphones, I really would want them to look gorgeous, too, and I strongly suspect these will also sound pretty darn good to boot.

I guess we'll find out when people get a chance to listen to them.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #104 of 498
For those worried about drive ability from 4.4mm portable sources the hd820 specs are 300 Ohms and 103dB SPL/V. This means they need 2.24Vrms (Voltage) / 7.47mA (Current) / 16.73mW (Power) to reach 110dB of loudness (which is fairly loud), just going by the math for power. Choose an amp/portable gear that synergizes well with the hd820 tuning as almost all modern DAPs have enough Voltage and Current (power).

Headphone power requirement resource:

http://www.digizoid.com/power.php

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #105 of 498

Users who are viewing this thread

Back