Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 5, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #7,697 of 7,700
Hello everyone,
After many months of browsing forums and reviews, I finally bought a Meze 99 Classics and the sound suits me perfectly. However, I'd like to improve its comfort with compatible velvet/velour earpads without altering the sound profile. Could someone could recommend me compatible models with their purchase links (Aliexpress or Amazon)? Many thanks in advance to the community!

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #7,698 of 7,700
Hello everyone,
After many months of browsing forums and reviews, I finally bought a Meze 99 Classics and the sound suits me perfectly. However, I'd like to improve its comfort with compatible velvet/velour earpads without altering the sound profile. Could someone could recommend me compatible models with their purchase links (Aliexpress or Amazon)? Many thanks in advance to the community!
I think once you introduce a material such as velvet or velour you're automatically going to change their sound profile as well as lessen their sound isolation. That said, I've been using Wicked Cushions' Hybrid ATH M50X earpads (velour/leather mix) for a while now with very good results. They come both with and without cooling gel (I got the version with cooling gel). They can be purchased either directly from Wicked or Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZS1D1QT/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/WC-PadZ-Velour-Compatible-SteelSeries/dp/B07CYRHZNR?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

https://wickedcushions.com/products...-as-well-hybrid-velour?variant=39299364520015

Here's a previous post of mine showing how they fit and look on my 99 Noirs (page 511):
BTW, here are my Noirs with the Wicked pads.
Like I said, as long as they fit into the slots all the way around, I'm happy.
Dave

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #7,699 of 7,700
Yeah, unfortunately removing leather earpads and replacing them with velour earpads will unavoidably alter the sound. You could maybe try hybrid pads which have velour only where it actually touches your body, and while such pads will still alter the sound, hybrids might alter it less so than entirely velour pads.

This all said, while such drastic pad changes will alter the sound, there's always the possibility that the alteration is one you end up enjoying. "Altered sound" doesn't necessarily mean "ruined sound"

May 5, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #7,700 of 7,700
Yeah, unfortunately removing leather earpads and replacing them with velour earpads will unavoidably alter the sound. You could maybe try hybrid pads which have velour only where it actually touches your body, and while such pads will still alter the sound, hybrids might alter it less so than entirely velour pads.
Exactly the type I referenced above & have been happily using for a while now. And, no, they don't seem to alter the sound too much, if at all (to my ears).
This all said, while such drastic pad changes will alter the sound, there's always the possibility that the alteration is one you end up enjoying. "Altered sound" doesn't necessarily mean "ruined sound"
Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back