Meze Audio 109 Pro
Apr 24, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #3,451 of 3,465
Recently I noticed that one of the wooden cups of my Meze 109 Pro had a slightly different color from the other. It seems to have a lighter color.

This is something most people would not even notice. And an ordinary costumer support would probably ignore me.

But I e-mailed Meze support and to my surprised they acknoledged the "problem" (which is really more of a whim from myself) and immediatey offered a solution.

Not only they sent me two new wooden cups but also made a personalized video showing how to replace them! And there is more: I live in Brazil which is known for bad mail service and customs problems. But Meze managem to deliver the cups in only FIVE days!

This is absolutely brilliant! A huge KUDOS for Meze's Support!

By the way, they were so fast that the cups were already delivered (from Romania to Brazil!) before I could manage to go out to buy a torx 5 screwdriver to replace the cups...

Again, this is prime customer service!
wow that is some customer service, Bowers & Wilkins please take note!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #3,452 of 3,465
I recently acquired the 109 Pro after relying on my HD800S as my daily driver for the past 5 years. Although I took a break from the hobby, I’m now back with the 109s, and I’m thoroughly enjoying them. After 15 hours, they’ve revealed impressive clarity and an expansive soundstage. The future burn-in trajectory looks promising.

Regarding Meze cables, opinions vary. Some prefer silver-plated cables, which can sound bright and shiny, while others lean toward copper, which imparts warmth, That is why I use a copper Black Dragon on the 800s, is this the same finding with the 109 using there upgraded cables?

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #3,453 of 3,465
Unfortunately, I’ve decided to return my 109 Pro after only having briefly. There’s clearly some irritating and grading texture in the high frequencies, to my ears, that I personally do not enjoy. I can understand this being a non-issue or even beneficial to others but for me it’s a dealbreaker. I have too many headphones anyway so it’s no real loss.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #3,454 of 3,465
Unfortunately, I’ve decided to return my 109 Pro after only having briefly. There’s clearly some irritating and grading texture in the high frequencies, to my ears, that I personally do not enjoy. I can understand this being a non-issue or even beneficial to others but for me it’s a dealbreaker. I have too many headphones anyway so it’s no real loss.
I’m sorry to hear that. Were you using the stock cable when you made this decision? My Meze silver cable arrived this morning, but it’s unfortunately going back for the same reasons you outlined. It was an instant realization that I had purchased the wrong cable.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #3,455 of 3,465
I’m sorry to hear that. Were you using the stock cable when you made this decision? My Meze silver cable arrived this morning, but it’s unfortunately going back for the same reasons you outlined. It was an instant realization that I had purchased the wrong cable.
No. I was using another 3rd party cable that has no issues. I think the problem is too much definition and clarity within the treble region quickly causing me fatigue. It's like too much of a good thing for me as I generally enjoy more detail and clarity but this seems to be overwhelming.

For example listening to my AKG K712 right now, it has acceptable treble definition but it's also relaxing at the same time as it does not have a super quick, clear, clean, and sharp quality like the 109. I've also been on the treble sensitive side even though I'm older so perhaps that's playing into my discontent.

After owning many headphones I don't believe further burn-in would be of significant use in my case.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #3,456 of 3,465
No. I was using another 3rd party cable that has no issues. I think the problem is too much definition and clarity within the treble region quickly causing me fatigue. It's like too much of a good thing for me as I generally enjoy more detail and clarity but this seems to be overwhelming.

For example listening to my AKG K712 right now, it has acceptable treble definition but it's also relaxing at the same time as it does not have a super quick, clear, clean, and sharp quality like the 109. I've also been on the treble sensitive side even though I'm older so perhaps that's playing into my discontent.

After owning many headphones I don't believe further burn-in would be of significant use in my case.
Have you tried to EQ them ? I am using the Oratory 1990 for them however sometimes I turn it off, depending on the mood.
I think you need to try and tame the treble one way or another, mine are being used with a Hiby dap which has plenty of different options where I can fine tune the treble but before I did so I also found the treble a bit overwhelming especially as I was coming from bass orientated and not so much detail headphones.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #3,457 of 3,465

are you on the stock cable? i heard it can actually cause that "bad" treble for some users.
either the upgrade cable or the hart audio cable can indeed fix that. but i am not 100% sure if that is legit or true, but for me the 109 is beautiful with the hart cable and i don't need to eq them

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #3,458 of 3,465
Too much microphonic sound with the $70 black Hart cable for me. Plus, part of the cable became twisted and caused me worry about it's durability. Communication with them regarding these issues was disappointingly not great. The cable did sound great though. Now, I have a braided ChiFi copper cable which I got on Ebay, with no microphonics, that works wonderfully with the 109s.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #3,459 of 3,465
Too much microphonic sound with the $70 black Hart cable for me. Plus, part of the cable became twisted and caused me worry about it's durability. Communication with them regarding these issues was disappointingly not great. The cable did sound great though. Now, I have a braided ChiFi copper cable which I got on Ebay, with no microphonics, that works wonderfully with the 109s.
After the post regarding the cable and of curiosity I went online looking at that cable and instantly microphonics came to mind as bought a custom made cable in the UK with similar looking material, sounded good but I could not move, unbearable when it rubbed against my clothing.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #3,460 of 3,465
After the post regarding the cable and of curiosity I went online looking at that cable and instantly microphonics came to mind as bought a custom made cable in the UK with similar looking material, sounded good but I could not move, unbearable when it rubbed against my clothing.
Yep. You have to be careful about those nasty microphonics. Braided copper is quiet.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #3,461 of 3,465
I am older, which may explain why I do not hear any treble issues with my 109Pro with the Meze "silver" cable. No microphonics.

I am driving it with a FiiO K7 and no EQ whatsoever. These phones get more listening time than all my other phones.

The other point I need to make is that breaking in the transducers really does mellow out the sound. I believe it took at least 75 hours for the diaphragms to reach optimum flexibility.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #3,462 of 3,465
I am older, which may explain why I do not hear any treble issues with my 109Pro with the Meze "silver" cable. No microphonics.

I am driving it with a FiiO K7 and no EQ whatsoever. These phones get more listening time than all my other phones.

The other point I need to make is that breaking in the transducers really does mellow out the sound. I believe it took at least 75 hours for the diaphragms to reach optimum flexibility.

Hi Peter
Juust spotted what you use in your footer. I also have the Eligia and am considering the Meze 109 Pro as my "open back" option. How would you describe the differences between them in practice?
Thanks
J

May 1, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #3,463 of 3,465
Sup people, recently my dad got a pair of 109s and got to play with them for a while, this are really excellent pair of cans and they're pretty much trading blows with my two top cans, my Focal Clears with dekoni velour pads and my Audeze LCD2Cs heavily EQ so that it doesn't sound very wonky(also doing some EQ on the Clears to bring them to their max), so far the only thing that I felt was missing from these cans was a little bit of bass impact, it's surprisingly extended(specially for a DD) but it lacks the punch and viscerality of my Clears, anyways, what I did add was a low shelf at 85hz by 3db to bring the bass impact a little more, wondering if you could recommend other adjustments that you generally find that it helps to bring to their maximum potential this cans. As an aside, I don't find the treble too hot on this pair of cans, of course that compare to my DT 880s which I find them pleasant generally but a little bit dry in some areas, I'm just looking like a couple of adjustments and what are your recommendations.

Thanks!!!!
Heh, I'm always a bit surprised when people mention how the 109 Pro has less punch/slam compared to the Focal Clear OG.

Sure, I guess objectively...the Clear OG has a bit more impact because of the bass but what I love about the Meze is that when called for...it absolutely punches hard lol. I know this and compared them cause I own both headphones.

I'm not sure if it's cause of the gear that I'm using but quite often the 109 Pro appeared more impactful overall compared to the Clear, due in part to the extended treble extension combined with the solid thumps of the low end. On certain songs...it can really knock you out hahaaaa!

Erick, you adding a little 85hz shelf is a good starting point. Looking at your sig, it seems you clearly have solid gear to drive them. Before anyone says "the 109 Pros are so easy to drive, even off my old iPhone 4s"...yes...they don't require much power at all...but if you want to drive them with absolute authority....especially in the bass/sub-bass regions...you'll probably want to start with a half decent desktop solution. Nothing extravagant lol but also not rat droppings too. These cans scale very well.

For 3 years I've had a Gustard stack. Their H16 amp that I've been using all this time up until recently cost around $350...which is hardly breaking the bank considering every 2 months a new "flagship" headphone or amp gets announced starting with a price for at least $3k lol. This little Gustard H16 amp is fairly powerful considering it's size and can drive the Meze 109 Pro beautifully.

Just recently(ish), I took delivery of Gustard's new "high end" H26 amp. I only weakened and caved in with this purchase cause there was a spring sale. This new H26 is doing things to my Meze cans that I didn't think was possible lol. Took a hell of a long time to get this performance cause it required a long a$$ burn-in process but now I'm up to around 500+ hours on it...these 109 Pros just sound like something else now hahaaa!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back