MOONDROP X CRINACLE DUSK NOW AVAILABLE
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #196 of 206
Ahhhh these can't handle bass boost instant turn off :laughing: Will be posting to classifieds soon-ish. Wanna compare to Aurora when they come in. Otherwise, they sound pretty good. You'd think 2x 10mm drivers can move some air when boosted, but not in this configuration. It sounds like they're choking up due to the little tube they are forced to push through - limited headroom especially when adding a hefty lowshelf lol. As long as you stay within the design boundaries of the 2xDDs, they sound very good, just not enough slam for me.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #197 of 206
Ahhhh these can't handle bass boost instant turn off :laughing: Will be posting to classifieds soon-ish. Wanna compare to Aurora when they come in. Otherwise, they sound pretty good. You'd think 2x 10mm drivers can move some air when boosted, but not in this configuration. It sounds like they're choking up due to the little tube they are forced to push through - limited flow capacity especially when adding a hefty lowshelf lol.

Was this Analog or DSP?

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #198 of 206
Analog out of Topping G5 4.4mm

Quick notes- pretty detailed, the BA mids sound pretty good to me very accurate. Very good imaging, airy but confined sound. Sounds a little thin to me, but I'm also a basshead, so keep that in mind. The Bass+ eq sounds the best to me, really puts the warmth in, but the dynamic drivers start to distort too early for my tastes due to the boost. These are best enjoyed with the default eq or bass+ if you crave more warmth. Not basshead material, but still a solid pair if you want a resolving, accurate pair of IEMs.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #199 of 206
Analog out of Topping G5 4.4mm

Quick notes- pretty detailed, the BA mids sound pretty good to me very accurate. Very good imaging, airy but confined sound. Sounds a little thin to me, but I'm also a basshead, so keep that in mind. The Bass+ eq sounds the best to me, really puts the warmth in, but the dynamic drivers start to distort too early for my tastes due to the boost. These are best enjoyed with the default eq or bass+ if you crave more warmth. Not basshead material, but still a solid pair if you want a resolving, accurate pair of IEMs.
How much bass boost are you EQ'ing? I get great results with the blessing 3 with a 6.7dB-10.1dB boost around 45Hz with some smaller changes around 20, 46, 81Hz. Most people seemed to have had good results with EQing the B3 - I'm assuming it uses the same HODDUS drivers in the blessing dusk.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #200 of 206
I ordered the Dusk via SZA on AE on 2 April - the day after it went on sale.

Ive been extending the delivery since, at their request and have just received another message this morning advising me that its going to be delayed again FOR A MONTH?!

Really don’t know whether to just cancel the order, another month is a joke tbh.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #201 of 206
I ordered the Dusk via SZA on AE on 2 April - the day after it went on sale.

Ive been extending the delivery since, at their request and have just received another message this morning advising me that its going to be delayed again FOR A MONTH?!

Really don’t know whether to just cancel the order, another month is a joke tbh.
You could have had mine, instead I sent it back to Shenzhenaudio, having to pay for it and now it is stuck in a warehouse in Shenzhen and I have no idea when or if I will get my money back.

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #202 of 206
Apparently they are waiting for a response from Shenzhenaudio because customs have a problem with the package. I did everything to to Shenzhenaudios wishes as far as I know though. I hope it will be resolved soon.

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #203 of 206
Mine was a April 11 order from SZA, and it seems April 2nd people are still waiting. So whenever that new batch goes out, I highly doubt I will be included. I wish I just ordered and did not wait for reviews first.

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #204 of 206
Well even the wavelet Bass eq sounds really distorted with medium-high volume, and the low shelf is a 6-7dB peak tapering down to +0dB at 200Hz. I thought it was clipping, so I lowered the gain -10dB and tried again. Same thing. Not sure what the problem is, but these definitely can't handle much bass boost at all without distortion at higher volume levels.

The Aurora came in, and it can take much more bass eq without issue. Currently have +26dB 45Hz 0.35Q, -15.5dB 15Hz 1Q. That puts me at a +17.5dB bump at 25Hz with a gentle taper into the lower mids. The rest is autoeq to IEF Neutral/Crin 2020 target. This has to be the same 12mm unit in Legato but tuned to give less output. Note that this bass boost ramp is roughly the same as the Scarlet Mini, and it handles it very well. Looking forward to comparing them next week.

Quick notes on Aurora if someone is on the fence. Well before that, a foreword on how I set up the comparison:

Windows PC with EqualizerAPO+PEACE, Topping G5 USB both on the same SPC 4.4mm cable, used squig.link measurements.

Both Auto eq'd to Crin 2020/IEF Neutral 300Hz-15KHz. I added a couple more filters on top of Aurora's autoeq to line it up a little better. I started at 300Hz to keep the warmth on both which are about equal up to that point by default anyway. It's better to bring out the DDs on both. I left the 16KHz bump on the Dusk and replicated on the Aurora because I liked the extra crispness it gave. I also matched the preamp on both so that they're the same volume. Note that the Dusk measurement I used was measured on the newer B&K 5128, and the Aurora wasn't, so there may be some minor differences in the treble on the Aurora if it were measured with the 5128. Ideally, you want both measured on the same exact equipment, but I'll have to work with what's out there until someone does both on a 5128.

The Aurora has a fuller and larger soundstage, more natural sounding. The Dusk is a little more delicate sounding, more pinpoint imaging, narrower stage. Whenever I swap back to the Auroras, I'm like yeahhh these sound fuller and more natural like it's all there. Detail retrieval on both are about the same. Because these were measured on different equipment, I don't really feel confident about talking too deeply about treble performance - arguably the focal point with 2x mini planar vs 1x 6mm planar. They're both close, and the minor differences I'm hearing could be attributed to how the different measuring equpment are measuring the treble which affects the autoeq curve. You'd be surprised how a little 2-3dB peak somewhere in the treble can make you think there's more detail, or create sibilance or resonance. With that said, they both churn out pretty good detail - pretty close to me. When someone measures both on the same equipment, I'll update this. One thing that remains consistent is that the Aurora has a wider, fuller soundstage for sure.

The Auroras are noticeably lighter and smaller, but I like the way the Dusks fit in my ear a little more. I think the default Aurora tuning is garbage, too bright, but once you eq it, they transform into something much more pleasant. The Auroras feel and honestly look a little cheap, but they sound great after eq. At least a cable I have laying around matches the design.

I put both of them through a sinewave generator with their respective equalizers active, and I'm noticing an odd sound with the Dusks in the 200-1000Hz range. It sounds like there's another harmonic in there adding to the sinewave, and it isn't there on the Aurora. On one hand, it sounds more detailed and sharp, but it also doesn't sound natural like there's a byproduct sound in there. Hmmm not too sure what it is, but it's definitely there. I don't dislike it, just different. I'd have to put these things on a 5128/whatever + oscilloscope and see what type of waves these things are making to see what's going on.

Without EQ, I'd grab the Dusks because they sound better to me out of the box. Just don't boost the bass too much. If you don't mind using EQ, then I think the Aurora is the better ticket, and they are bass monsters that can handle a Scarlet Mini-sized lowshelf.
dusk autoeq.png
aurora autoeq.png

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #205 of 206
If anyone in the States has a pair they don’t want and are looking to offload please DM me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back