Need a USB AUDIO INTERFACE Recommendation.
Jun 14, 2019 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

reddistic

New Head-Fier
Just bought a pair of Mackie mr524 studio monitors. Connected them through RCA input to my PC's 3.5mm jack output. My Asus hero 8 mainboard's onboard soundcard has ESS ES9023p DAC chip.

Is it going to perform better with budget external usb soundcard if I connect through XLR input? Thinking of Focusrite Scarlett Solo mk2, Mackie onyx artist 1.2 or m-audio m-track II or something else:)

I need suggestions:)

Jun 16, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 4
Probably, but your question is pretty unique. You would have to try it to be certain. Maybe purchase the Focusrite or M-Audio through Amazon so that you can easily return it if not?

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 4
You may want to consider the NuPrime Micro Dac. Takes usb from pc. Decodes hi-rez and dsd. Outputs for headphones and rca. $179 on Amazon. Then use your existing rca cables.

If you get an external usb dac, please think about your usb and rca cables. My favorites are from moon-audio.com. They have a few options based on your budget and listening preferences. Your speakers can only sound as good as what you feed them.

Moon Audio makes a great 3.5mm to rca Silver Dragon cable that I use between my TV and Kef LS50w’s so my wife can still change the volume with the TV remote. If you are intetested in that, you can eliminate the need for a usb cable by using an Audioquest Black or Red usb dac, or my preferred Geek Out v2 dac from lhlabs.com. They all plug straight into a usb port and provide a 3.5mm stereo out for headphones and powered speakers.

One other gizmo to consider. I use the Audioquest USB Jitterbug in my PC and car systems. It cleans up the digital grunge that creeps into the signal from other PC or car electronics. About $50 from Amazon. You can always send it back if you do not like it.

Hope this helps.

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 4
Just bought a pair of Mackie mr524 studio monitors. Connected them through RCA input to my PC's 3.5mm jack output. My Asus hero 8 mainboard's onboard soundcard has ESS ES9023p DAC chip.
Is it going to perform better with budget external usb soundcard if I connect through XLR input? Thinking of Focusrite Scarlett Solo mk2, Mackie onyx artist 1.2 or m-audio m-track II or something else:)
I need suggestions:)
I'm going to guess the ESS ES9023p DAC chip (Asus Hero) is easily going to match the audio quality, of a lower costing Audio Interface.
I would suggest that you get a simple USB DAC, that costs over $100, to $150 (or more) and just use a DAC's un-balanced line-output, for the connection, to the Mackie's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back