Noble EDC Velvet
Nov 16, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 28
Here, let's provide some graphical illustrations so people can actually see what it is all about. :wink:

monospace_noble_audio_edc_velvet_pic_1-jpg.9289

monospace_noble_audio_edc_velvet_pic_4-side-jpg.9287

NOBLE_EDC_Velvet_slice.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 28
Anyone read any reviews or impressions on the sound yet?

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 28
They really need to sort international distribution. 20% off is wiped out by £30 delivery to UK. I often get stuff from China & Hong Kong with free delivery or ~£3.50. At £72 with discount would have tried a pair blind but goes to £102 with delivery.

Just got a pair of much bigger/more expensive Sen HD660S headphones from Germany to UK, again with free delivery.

I Sony ZX300 DAP from Amazon Japan only charge £8 for shipping.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 28
I just placed my order for the EDC Velvet. My first pair of IEMs. I'll be using them with my LGv30. :)

Nov 19, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 28
They really need to sort international distribution. 20% off is wiped out by £30 delivery to UK. I often get stuff from China & Hong Kong with free delivery or ~£3.50. At £72 with discount would have tried a pair blind but goes to £102 with delivery.

Just got a pair of much bigger/more expensive Sen HD660S headphones from Germany to UK, again with free delivery.

Guessing audiosanctuary uk may get them in in time.

Nov 19, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 28

Agree that they should look into something cheaper for overseas shipping of the more "cost-effective" range to places the UK, but I guess it depends on demand.

I'm thinking of picking up a pair for review purposes, as I need an everyday set for places like the gym where I'm loathe to take my more expensive universals or CIEMs - never been either blown away or particularly unhappy with any of the Noble gear I've heard to date, so looking forward to hearing where they are going with this range, as I am a fan of a warmer and bassier signature.

If they don't tick my boxes as a "keeper" after the review is done I'll probably be popping them on the classifieds so there might be at least one pair available in the UK at some point soon.

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 28
Mine arrived today! I had no idea they were on their way. I was expecting the LCD-2C instead, but this was a welcome development!
headphones%20noble%20velvet_DSC5825_1164.jpg

Apparently, packaging specific to the EDC Velvet is expected, so don't judge your shipping expectations on this early delivery. I'm certainly happy to have it earlier. :D

I'm really happy they came with the case. I was worried, for the price, I'd have to get my own. I was thrilled with the screw-top case that came with my Noble X and this was the exact same.
headphones%20noble%20velvet_DSC5828_1166.jpg

It came with a simple variety of tips, but my ears must be odd, as very few silicon tips end up getting a good seal with me. Luckily, these work with comply 500's which I had lying around. I snapped them and started listening...

As was mentioned in the sponsored thread, the bass extension on these IS incredible. If you need an entry level IEM for some extra bass-y goodness. I can't think of a reason not to go with these.

I had two specific models I wanted to compare these too: The RE600s v2 and Dunu Titan 1's. The RE600s v2 goes on sale for close to 100 dollars, and the Dunu's were my first iem for around anything north of 50$.

Granted, my listening time with these are limited to but a few hours, but I'm not much of a believer in burn-in.

The testing rigs for this little comparison are:
PC->Bifrost Multibit->Violectric v200->IEM
PC->Bifrost Multibit->MAC 1900->IEM
Aune M2s->IEM

The following impressions are ENTIRELY UNSCIENTIFIC. JUST GOING BY MY EAR!
Across the board, I'm getting a listening experience that to my ears follow the same general pattern:
Velvet%20impressions%20edc.jpg

velvet%20impressions%20re.jpg

Velvet%20impressions.jpg

Velvet%20impressions%20all.jpg

A few things popped out to me during these comparisons:
The bass on the Velvet is surprisingly strong. I don't think it's the most controlled, but it blew me away how hard the bass was striking me, in a good way... usually.
The RE600s v2 is still the king of vocals.
The Dunu Titans don't have much great about them, but they're still pretty competitive. Normally it's the soundstage on the Dunu's that shine, but the RE600 and Velvet aren't that far behind, if at all, and the imaging, imo, are better on the other 2. (Used briefly for gaming to come to this conclusion)

The details and clarity of the RE600s v2 are also tops. It seems the bass might be bleeding into the mids, or the mids are recessed, or some combination, such that the upper bass and low mid range seems off. It cleans up towards the low treble, which is why I mention the graphs above being my impressions. It just felt like the mids were left behind a bit. Though these are pretty warm across the board, the EDC's general balance might be decided by the VERY (if not overly) present bass.

Switching between Ninja Sex Party's take on "Heat of the Moment", Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off", and Hayley Williams in Zed's "Stay the Night", I just felt like the vocals were the weakest in the EDC Velvet.

I moved on to Gym Class Heroes' "Stereo Hearts", Flogging Molly's "There's Nothing Left Pt. 1", and realized it was track dependent, as I felt the Velvet's pull ahead of the Titan's for vocals here.

BUT... If you have a taste for the wub-wubs, listening through the entire album of Magnatron by New Retro Wave was incredibly enjoyable on the Velvet's, and the bass experience was very unexpected from such small drivers.

I also found the Velvet's weren't bad for gaming. I played a few hours in Destiny 2 using them, and it was a surprisingly visceral audio experience.

All-in-all, the EDC's have something to offer if you're looking for a bass-heavy offering, or a pair of iems that aren't fatiguing to wear or listen to. I found hip-hop and electronic play best with these so far, but it's a process. I'm gonna keep tinkering with these until I get a better bead on how to make them shine the brightest, but so far, they're pretty good fun :)

EDIT TO ADD:
Pair the EDC Velvet with a neutral or bright source. Out of a warm source, they just sound muddy.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 28
With the silicon it's actually not bad. With Comply's I need to pause whatever I'm listening to, if I want any hope of hearing what's going on around me.

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 28
received mine today as well. been a while since I wrote audio impressions and this is just a quick drive by first impression of the noble edc velvet so take w a few grains of salt as always.

its been a while since i've played with this type of price range, so my scale may be a bit biased. initially impressions is that sound signature is bassier and tonally darker than what I am personally used to, though I imagine it retains a Noble-esque sound for an enjoyable lush smooth rich sound is the goal rather than tryin to blast out best in class with soundstage or microdetail or speediness at the cost of internal self-contained consistency within the sound signature. however, the majority of my noble experience is back when I've demoed the nobles universal versions of customs in the days when they were named after the number of drivers they had, so not sure how true or relevant this is anymore.

I would imagine fans of an darker richer leaning Audeze-ish sound signature would be interested in these like the old school LCD-2, or the LCD-X without as shiny/sharp of a treble. The treble on the Noble is smoothed out without any extra bite or crunch. doesnt seem like there is any peakiness or emphasis in the 4k-10k region which gives off that smooth vibe without edgeness or piercingness, but also missing that same edgeness that gives a bit of 'sharpened' sense of definition to the attack and decay of notes. I would have to admit that I've been using my HD800S and Andromeda a lot recently and those two headphones tilt towards the brighter end of the neutral-esque spectrum with a bit more bite to their sound. these noble IEMs sound a bit thicker with more bloom to the notes for a rich and lush presentation sense. The nobles has a bit more of an intimate style, so different kind of emphasis in the presence range. also upper bass and lower mids emphasis also give impression of that thickness and lushness.

from audio memory rather than direct comparison: these nobles were def darker than hifimans re400 with silicone or spin fit eartips. is cleaner sounding than smtg like the 1more triple drivers with silicone eartips (i needed to use foam eartips to prevent the triple drivers from sounding muddy to me).

keep in mind IEM impression are a lot iffier than full-sized impressions because so much depends on individual fit of the IEM in someone's ears. also I didn't run side-by-side comparisons or frequency sweeps, so this really very imprecise first vague impression with a lot of subjective feeling rather than objective testing and comparing. for its price point, it shld be fine. has a cohesive internal balance with its sound signature, so nothing glaringly feel disjointed after you get used to its sound signature. whether the sound signature will suit you though would be very personal.

Midrange and bass focused sound signature, lush full notes, more intimate presentation. definitely not an IEM for trebleheads or soundstage freaks. treble is smooth and never sharp, so good for those sensitive to sibilance or dislike too much treble energy/peakiness. forgiving treble so shldn't offend or fatigue anyone, but will not impress those who are looking for high treble energy and/or a bit of "bite" to their sound.

I would characterize these are a mildly tonally darker, good sense of lushness and fullness to notes but also will have a bit thicker sound and lingering sense to its decay, bass is cleaner and tighter than many other headphones I've heard with this type of sound signature, but definitely a midbass and lowermidrange tilt. Bass I would describe as a boomy punchy sound (rather than a rumbling lower sub-bass extension type lower frequency presentation or extremely lean and snappy popping bass).

with my personal lean towards having much more experience with the over-ear headphone world than IEMs (I feel more confidant in my over-ear reference points), I would say these would be more akin to the old school Audeze 'house' type of sound presentation than anything else. of course, this does depend on your own personal reference point, takeaways, emphasis, and preferences, and also there is quite a bit of difference between Audeze models. not like the brighter remixed version of the Audeze sound which still managed to keep that underlying rich darkness that was introduced with the LCD-X and LCD-4, but more like the older LCD-2 or mid-focused LCD-3 where the richness was the goal. I can see the EDC velvet having similarities with the LCD-X's bass if you remove the treble energy from the X.

The noble EDC velvet sound to be tuned by ear with the goal to leave a lingering sense of richness and lushness in the ear of the listener.

hope this brain dump is relatable and useful.

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 28
Having used the Velvets for a few weeks, I echo Money’s findings. The Velvets are probably one of the most refined and mature IEMs in its price range for what I assume would be Noble’s primary focus for their target buyer. Summing up the Velvets in a marketing buzz phrase, “The IEM for the on-the-move pop/rock/r&b/hip hop/EDM fan with demanding and discerning ears”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back