Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Apr 27, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #1,861 of 1,873
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #1,862 of 1,873
Assuming maybe you didn't, but you didn't try any of your Raal headphones to compare between the AIC and the VM-1a did you? I'm been mulling over an AIC purchase and with the Immanis eventually on the way, I'm wondering if it's the smart way to go.

The Immanis through the VM-1a compared to the transformer box/Felix Envy at Axpona was quite noticeably better. Thinking about tracking a VM-1a down, but would really prefer an all in one unit I can replace my two amp system with.

If not, what mainly have you been listening to with it?

dude, check your WhatsApp! I posted a link to a vm1a yesterday!

friend brought an immanis to the house for a short while. but it was brand new and far from the 100 hr recommended running in time (according to the dealer). that immanis sounded a bit off to me; didn't seem like what I heard at canjam. so I didn't have the urge to play around with it much.

anyways i did test between AIC rear speaker out and vm1a with the sr1b. though it is very nice out of the AIC, I still prefer the vm1a; midrange is similar, but top end is sweeter and lush, and low end is more dynamic. also like the fact u can change between UL, T and P modes on the vm1a depending on mood.

and when using via AIC speaker taps, my speaker cables go to a zynsonix adaptor box, and finally to the ti1b box out to the sr1b.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #1,863 of 1,873
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #1,864 of 1,873
and when using via AIC speaker taps, my speaker cables go to monoblocks, then to a zynsonix adaptor box, and finally to the ti1b box out to the sr1b.
That’s a long and winding road 😁

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #1,865 of 1,873
I would say the market speaks for itself.

There are plenty of dcs and msb used dacs on the market but not much playback design dacs. There is also a multiple month wait for the PBD dacs, last I heard was if ordering now, you get it in august.

It gives a smooth/analog but yet detailed presentation that makes you easily lost in the music.

It is either my fave or 2nd fave piece of gear in my chain with the rowland 555 amp being fave or 2nd fave.

I am totally in honey moon phase with the rowland 555s.... absolutely stunning.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #1,866 of 1,873
dude, check your WhatsApp! I posted a link to a vm1a yesterday!

I told you I was bad at keeping up on that thing! lol. But thank you!

friend brought an immanis to the house for a short while. but it was brand new and far from the 100 hr recommended running in time (according to the dealer). that immanis sounded a bit off to me; didn't seem like what I heard at canjam. so I didn't have the urge to play around with it much.

anyways i did test between AIC rear speaker out and vm1a with the sr1b. though it is very nice out of the AIC, I still prefer the vm1a; midrange is similar, but top end is sweeter and lush, and low end is more dynamic. also like the fact u can change between UL, T and P modes on the vm1a depending on mood.

and when using via AIC speaker taps, my speaker cables go to monoblocks, then to a zynsonix adaptor box, and finally to the ti1b box out to the sr1b.

Very helpful. I figured that may be the case. Good to know. I'm sure broken in, it's probably pretty good out of the AIC as well.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #1,867 of 1,873
I made a mistake. Sorry, because I was not there that day. Susvara through speaker taps, RAAL connected to transformer through front XLR. You can listen to both on AIC simultaneously.
If the Sus was connected to the speaker taps, I imagine another cable was used to connect to the Susvara cable? If this occurred, it could make a difference at this level. Still, I already know the Immanus is great.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #1,868 of 1,873
Has anyone compared the Brimar 12AU7 with the G73r? I’m really interested in any sound differences you've noticed. I currently have a Telefunken G73-r Red Label and a Mullard M8136 Shark teeth. The G73-r is excellent overall—very transparent and quick—but the vocals/midrange feel a bit dry. My Mullard isn't as bright, which seems odd since others describe their Mullard's sound as thick and sweet. This makes me wonder if there's significant variability in sound even among tubes of the same model from Mullard. Thanks for any insights!

Additionally, using my 1266, I’ve noticed that both high and low gains have their pros and cons, and I'm thinking of moving to speaker outputs next.

S__7118860.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #1,869 of 1,873
Has anyone compared the Brimar 12AU7 with the G73r? I’m really interested in any sound differences you've noticed. I currently have a Telefunken G73-r Red Label and a Mullard M8136 Shark teeth. The G73-r is excellent overall—very transparent and quick—but the vocals/midrange feel a bit dry. My Mullard isn't as bright, which seems odd since others describe their Mullard's sound as thick and sweet. This makes me wonder if there's significant variability in sound even among tubes of the same model from Mullard. Thanks for any insights!

Additionally, using my 1266, I’ve noticed that both high and low gains have their pros and cons, and I'm thinking of moving to speaker outputs next.
Speaker taps is the way

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #1,870 of 1,873

There are definitely changes in sound with the different plate designs etc over the years. IMO the best Mullards are 1950s and 60s, esp the long plates. 70s are are very good too. The easiest to find an cheapest are 80s short/box plate military manufacture, and they are are not as good, but they still sound like Mullards.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #1,872 of 1,873
There are definitely changes in sound with the different plate designs etc over the years. IMO the best Mullards are 1950s and 60s, esp the long plates. 70s are are very good too. The easiest to find an cheapest are 80s short/box plate military manufacture, and they are are not as good, but they still sound like Mullards.

I also used 1960s M8136 from Mitcham factory (KB/D) and got a few of more of those for back up. For me, it’s just the perfect blend of texture/body/weight and musicality while still offering all the technicalities I need for enjoyment.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #1,873 of 1,873
I'm trying to figure out if the Riviera AIC-10 amplifier has any specific input level limitations, as I can't find detailed specifications on this. Does anyone know the maximum input levels for the AIC-10 to avoid clipping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back