Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 19, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #13,321 of 23,493
Waiting patiently for the 5670 explosion on this thread. I'm eagerly waiting for the impressions. I wish that boat with them damn adapters , for those who are waiting, would hurry tf up already. LOL

I'm in the process of hoarding these tubes.
Can't stress it enough folks. Get them adapters and roll!

Just in today.
Tesla 6cc42 PW
Raytheon 5670
Bendix 2c51 (eclipse pioneer) on the way.

Wtff where did you find the bendix 2c51?? :D They are like nonexistent!

Edit: 2c51 is rolling heaven for you U.S. folks, for us europeans it can be much more expensive :D (best pair of WE396A in europe is 150$ lol, maybe we can get the tesla and lm ericsson 2c51). I have a batch of 25 6N3PE that I just didn't get around to test and listen to too much haha. I remember @rnros recommending them over any tubes he likes.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #13,322 of 23,493
I've had "Bendix 2c51" saved in my eBay follow and they popped up yesterday. Lol.
I snagged a single, and Billy grabbed a pair. I believe the guy has one pair left.
Here's the seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272811105490
His prices are awesome! Especially when these are pretty hard to come by. I'm waiting for a response from him on a Bendix 6385 triple mica(red bank). They're practically extinct lol.
Wtff where did you find the bendix 2c51?? :D They are like nonexistent!

Edit: 2c51 is rolling heaven for you U.S. folks, for us europeans it can be much more expensive :D (best pair of WE396A in europe is 150$ lol, maybe we can get the tesla and lm ericsson 2c51). I have a batch of 25 6N3PE that I just didn't get around to test and listen to too much haha. I remember @rnros recommending them over any tubes he likes.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #13,324 of 23,493
Well...... After spending the last 2 weeks rolling these tubes. Here's my breakdown so far Billy.

WE396a:
This tube is all about seduction! It's presentation just sucks you in the center of the music. It's a very juicy, rich, weighted sound, but retains this clear and calculated detail retrieval. The sheer size of the notes is what is most impressive. Every note extends out into the soundstage equally with a black 3D holographic background. Very holographic!
Treble is full bloom, never ever hard and absolutely no glare. More liquid than air.
Midrange is robust, and emotional. Music sounds natural, and believable.
Bass is deep accurate and well extended, with excellent impact/slam.

Tung-sol 2c51:

This tube here imo, would be the midrange master. It's not as rich as the 396a, and not as airy as the 5 star, but it carries both of their traits equally. Another Soundstage and holographic marvel! It lacks a smidgen of depth of the 396a, but makes up for it in height, and width. It's still a very deep tube, but a step behind. It's a little wider and taller than the 396a. This tube leaves me speechless with female vocals, metal, and percussion. This tube is a perfect balance between the 5star and 396.
Trebel:
Well extended, with a nice balance between weight and air.
Midrange:
Simply gorgeous! Very lifelike presentation.
Bass:
Less full than the 396a, but with a little more impact and slam. Sounds a little more accurate and extends well. Blends perfect with the rest of the spectrum.

At the end of the day. I can see a lot of you possibly preferring this tube.

GE 5 star triple mica:

This tube is where the air is at. It's focus is upper mids, into the treble. But don't let that scare you.
It still carries a nice balance with the rest of the spectrum. This tube just breathes music into your soul! Best treble of the bunch!
Same trait as the others with sounstage, and holography. Massive! This tube is a little wider and taller than the tung-sol, with the same depth.
This tube has more of a V shaped sound but it's not extremely V shaped. Just more than the other.

Trebel :
Very airy, and extended! Best treble thus far!
Midrange:
Less focus than the others but definitely not lost or recessed. Just recessed in comparison. It's still breathy, and emotional.
Bass:
Very impactful and extended. A little more slam than the tung-sol, with a smidge less weight. Very accurate!

Best I could do Billy. One thing about it. These differences in these tubes aren't as dramatic as the 6922 variants. Like a mullard is the polar opposite of a Siemens CCa.
There's more similarities than differences imo. I think it's because of the soundstage, and imaging trait they all carry. They're all very 3d, and very engaging tubes. Just flavored different.

It's so hard to rank one better than the other. For me, I keep popping the tung-sol back in. Lol. Must be that midrange hoor in me. LOL.

Now that you've had time with quite a few of them Sammy, can you rank them and give a mini-review of each...and Winders as well. I have the JK WE396a's, GE 5 Star 3 mica D Getters, Tung Sol D Getters...and just ordered a pair of 1951 Bendix Square Getters. I would guess I'll prefer the Western Electrics from what I've read. I tend toward a heavier, smoother timbre (the WE's) vs the more detailed but brighter (Bendix) with the other two (GE 5 Star amd Tung Sol) supposedly somewhere in between.
EDIT: Still no adapters...but did just order a spare pair of those too. I blame Sammy for all of this. I was more than happy just a few weeks ago before he went insane.

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #13,325 of 23,493
GREAT rundown Samuel !!!!! I feel like I've already heard all the little rascals. And guess what...my adapters hit US Customs about midnight last night....sooooo, they'll be here soon
and I'll be able to finally check these monster tubes out mybadself.

Edit: Just heard from JC (OldSkool) in a PM and he is officially hooked on these 396a's. He is echoing all of Sammy's thoughts as well. AND he and I have the same amp. Can't wait to hear these things !!!!!

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #13,326 of 23,493
I can't wait Billy! You're in for a treat bro!
I'm losing so much sleep over this adventure bro! Lol. I was dragging a@#, big time at work yesterday. So worth it though. Lol
GREAT rundown Samuel !!!!! I feel like I've already heard all the little rascals. And guess what...my adapters hit US Customs about midnight last night....sooooo, they'll be here soon

Edit: Just heard from JC (OldSkool) in a PM and he is officially hooked on these 396a's. He is echoing all of Sammy's thoughts as well. Can't wait to hear these things !!!!!

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #13,327 of 23,493
... I'm waiting for a response from him on a Bendix 6385 triple mica(red bank). They're practically extinct lol.

Beautiful tube, serious construction, must have had a much higher cost due to construction. But note that it does have a higher heater current at 500mA rather than the 2C51 at 300mA.
Current eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bendix-6385...909113?hash=item4d602af279:g:6hsAAOSwcB5ZJxLW

Check out the construction details on the last page of the spec sheets:
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/131/6/6385.pdf

True. REFL 6N3P-E are still my favorite in the small 9 pin group. I had posted a comparison with the 396A about a year ago, both are great tubes. If you are comparing, be sure to SPL match. Differences are subtle and will surely play differently for different folks and equipment. (I do prefer some of the 6SN7s over these, but they have limited compatibility with the Schiit amps.)

If you are into the construction details and appreciate the design of the 6385, note that the construction of the 6385 and the 6N3P-E have more in common with each other than with the other 2C51/396A group.
Both use mounting rods for the anode assembly, 2 for the 6385, 4 for the 6N3P-E. Both use a three stage mica structure, with the top mica serving as a getter shield, 6N3P-E actually has 4 micas with the bottom stage being a 2 mica stack. Both have cathode vibration damper tabs at the second mica stage. The 6N3P-E also has nickel plated pins. This all refers to the Reflector 6N3P-E, not familiar with other brands.
(Note: The 6N3P (no E suffix) is similar to the 2C51/396A construction.)
(Note2: 6N3P-E and 6385 are 2" bottles vs the 1 1/2" 2C51)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #13,328 of 23,493
Thanks for the info bro! Much appreciated!
Beautiful tube, serious construction, must have had a much higher cost due to construction. But note that it does have a higher heater current at 500mA rather than the 2C51 at 300mA.
Current eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bendix-6385...909113?hash=item4d602af279:g:6hsAAOSwcB5ZJxLW

True. REFL 6N3P-E are still my favorite in the small 9 pin group. I had posted a comparison with the 396A about a year ago, both are great tubes. If you are comparing, be sure to SPL match. Differences are subtle and will surely play differently for different folks and equipment. (I do prefer some of the 6SN7s over these, but they have limited compatibility with the Schiit amps.)

If you are into the construction details and appreciate the design of the 6385, note that the construction of the 6385 and the 6N3P-E have more in common with each other than with the other 2C51/396A group.
Both use mounting rods for the anode assembly, 2 for the 6385, 4 for the 6N3P-E. Both use a three stage mica structure, with the top mica serving as a getter shield, 6N3P-E actually has 4 micas with the bottom stage being a 2 mica stack. Both have cathode vibration damper tabs at the second mica stage. The 6N3P-E also has nickel plated pins. This all refers to the Reflector 6N3P-E, not familiar with other brands.

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #13,329 of 23,493
There's more similarities than differences imo. I think it's because of the soundstage, and imaging trait they all carry. They're all very 3d, and very engaging tubes. Just flavored different.

It's so hard to rank one better than the other. For me, I keep popping the tung-sol back in. Lol. Must be that midrange hoor in me. LOL.

Nice notes! Thanks. Jeez, now I have to try the GE 5 Star and the Tung Sol.

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #13,330 of 23,493
Does the 6n3p-e also have the higher heater current?

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #13,332 of 23,493

Edit: Just heard from JC (OldSkool) in a PM and he is officially hooked on these 396a's. He is echoing all of Sammy's thoughts as well. Can't wait to hear these things !!!!!

These adapters, first I bought 2, then I bought 4 more, then I bought 8 more... LOL, now I just buy another handful whenever before I can't find one easily.
Seriously though, I like to leave them on the tubes rather than switching them from tube to tube, that way they stay tight to the tube and very easy to remove from the amps.

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #13,333 of 23,493
Decided to sell some tubes and jump on the bandwagon. Think I am going to give the JW WE 396a d or square getters a shot first. What are the searches should I be looking up on ebay, can you guys give me a link to the adapters again?

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #13,334 of 23,493
This is all very fascinating ... I do recall one or two people mentioning some of these before, incl @winders and Mike Moffat of Schiit raved about them earlier this year. Seems the only source may be EBay (which I personally dislike) and importing to Europe.None that I can find on dealers lists in stock over here, other than high priced variants.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #13,335 of 23,493
This is what I bought bro.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191636111735

Decided to sell some tubes and jump on the bandwagon. Think I am going to give the JW WE 396a d or square getters a shot first. What are the searches should I be looking up on ebay, can you guys give me a link to the adapters again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back