Schiitcago 2017 - 9/17/17

Will you be making it to Schiitcago 2017

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #46 of 80
Wow glad I stumbled into here. I recently got back into audio gear since I got a new workspace at home. In the last few months I've purchased HD650s, Jot w/Dac and have a Valhalla 2 coming tomorrow... or today I suppose. I might have to make the drive out from the burbs for this.
You should definitely try to make it!

Argh found out there is not Fall Michigan meet this year. I'm contemplating doing a 9 hour round trip bus ride over to this meet. I really really want to hear the ZMF Atticus/Eikon. If I come I'll bring my HD800 (SDR modded) to test on different amps. I might be able to throw some other stuff in a duffel bag as well. I'm guessing my DT1990 might be one of the more interesting cans since it is rather new and fewer people have experience with it. But I also have a vegan modded M1060, 2016 Aluminum LCD-2, Fostex TH-X00, and EMU Teak as potential options. If anyone really wants to hear one of those in particular let me know and I'll consider bringing it.
Would love to hear the TH-X00. Your whole collection is intriguing. Really hope you can make it, brotha. :)

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #47 of 80
That's kinda good to hear .. what's the sound signature like?

So the DT1990 comes with 2 pads, analytical (A pads) and balanced (B pads). The A pads I would say compete directly against HD600. The DT1990 is pretty neutral in this regard but definitely has better sub-bass extension compared to HD600, but also a brighter treble that sounds like typical Beyer house sound. It is more sharp and crisp up top with that airiness feel. Fortunately, Beyer tamed down the treble emphasis on this can so while it is hotter than HD600, it doesn't get piercing and sort of pushes right at the boundary of sibilance but not overstepping. I would say about the same level as DT880. Soundstage is much bigger than HD600. So I consider HD600 to be more smooth and laid back neutral, while the DT1990 is more exciting, punchy neutral. With the B pads it increases the mid-bass a bit and the treble somewhat, becoming a very very slightly V-shaped sound. I actually prefer these pads more since I like the added warmth and am not sensitive to treble. It is just a really dynamic headphone. Soundstage isn't at HD800 level and it isn't as detailed, but it is arguably more musical and easier to listen to if you are the type that considers HD800 to be too analytical. I've come across a number of people that are trading their HD800 for the DT1990. I wouldn't go that far myself, but I can see the reasoning. Also, this is the best built and most premium Beyer out there. I already loved the DT770/880/990 build and feel, but this takes everything up a few notches. It also comes with 2 cables, straight and coiled in a perfectly sized soft shell carrying case that fits everything just right. You can tell Beyer spent a lot of time thinking this headphone through inside and out.

And now that DT1990 can be had at $450, it is an easy recommendation. I can see this headphone being the new mainstay in the Beyer line, basically replacing the DT880/990.

@Hyjacked - The Fostex TH-X00 is just the standard mahogany version unmodded, but it is one of my favorite cans. Depending on which bag I would bring, I'll try to squeeze this guy in there. Haha I might even just use it for listening while on this long bus ride.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #49 of 80
Hi Allen - just a reminder to invite your friends and bring whoever you like! Just finalized catering with schiit and we're gonna have a heck of schmorgasboard (you could honestly skip lunch if you wanted to!)

Been testing all the schiit (and other manufacturer) gear this week. I'm especially excited about the two channel setup we'll have, I think it's going to sound really great.

See you soon!

Sep 15, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #54 of 80
Alright booked my bus tickets, I'll be coming in from Ann Arbor. For sure bringing my HD800 (SDR), DT1990, and most likely Fostex TH-X00. Maybe the Audio-gd NFB-11 as well. I'm going to have to leave by 5pm or a little earlier to catch my return bus so if you want to hear my gear make sure to not show up too late. For the DT1990 I am thinking of having them on B pads for the first 1.5 hours and then switching them to A pads the next 1.5 hours since changing them over takes a little bit of time and not super easy to just flip flop back and forth.

Looking forward to meeting you all, and it sounds like there is going to be a lot of gear coming that I have been dying to try out.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #58 of 80
I plan on bringing my HE-6 with the Beta 22 w/ onboard Curryman DAC and Amanero USB interface that I built.

Here's a picture of the amp chassis with the DAC inside a copper sub-enclosure for shielding the analog circuitry from the digital RF of the USB interface and the DAC.

Curryman DAC is from the MiniDSP community; it uses a well-regarded ES9023 DAC with a discrete FET output stage.

This Beta 22 also has a switchable line input.

milosz-B22-shield.jpg

imgres

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #59 of 80
Alright booked my bus tickets, I'll be coming in from Ann Arbor. For sure bringing my HD800 (SDR), DT1990, and most likely Fostex TH-X00. Maybe the Audio-gd NFB-11 as well. I'm going to have to leave by 5pm or a little earlier to catch my return bus so if you want to hear my gear make sure to not show up too late. For the DT1990 I am thinking of having them on B pads for the first 1.5 hours and then switching them to A pads the next 1.5 hours since changing them over takes a little bit of time and not super easy to just flip flop back and forth.

Looking forward to meeting you all, and it sounds like there is going to be a lot of gear coming that I have been dying to try out.
Awesome! See you there, brotha.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #60 of 80
Looks like I was able to take an earlier flight and I'll make it afterall, bringing the Utopia's and the HD800S. Hoping to test out a Modi multibit and compare it to a Bifrost Multibit. Really looking forward to this meetup, see you all there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back