Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii and beyerdynamic DT 1350 - Head-Fi TV, Episode 004
Apr 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #121 of 128
Quote:
Well, i probably should have responded to this thread ages ago.. this video inspired me to purchase a pair of DT1350s when I went to Japan a couple months back. was happy with the purchase. Just rewatched the video and I noticed that Jude wears the HD25s around the wrong way at 6:20 (the cable being on the left, when they should be on the right). If I had picked that up before, I may have been less likely to follow the guidance of someone who wears his headphones around the wrong way! heh. Anyway, I listened to the P5, the HD25 and the DT1350 over there (love Japan) and I have to say that with a bit of wiggling, the DT1350s do sound better to me than the other two, but the HD25s sound great just putting them on. No adjustments needed.

Even if Jude did have the cable on the wrong side, he might have chosen the most convenient cord placement over imaging (as crucial as the latter might be).  Sometimes cable flex on the fly is even more important than correct stereo imaging.  You can listen correctly once you're home, but destroying a cable or dragging your headphones off your head with an ill-considered tilt is a Brad more hazardous ultimately.

I still think placing the cable on the right for the Amperior/HD25 was the least explainable thing Sennheiser did with that model. How many people own a shirt with one right pocket, and how many DJs and portable listening rigs involve adjusting a source on the right?

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #122 of 128
Great review.  I bought the Beyerdynamics based on Jude's review.  I agree with most of what he had to say.  I would add that they don't sound great right out of the box... very hollow sounding, as if music was being played in a tunnel.  Lacked bass as well.  After about 30 hours of listening I'd say they improved significantly but not entirely.  I'm very spoiled by my Sennheiser HD650s and Woo Audio WA6-SE Tube amp... so it's hard to go from those to the 1350s.  But I am impressed that they sound so good from my iPhone.  No matter what my source, I can say the sound stage and details are HUGE.  

Definitely experiment with adjusting the headphones on your head.

Not the best headphones for rap/hip hop or rock.  Amazing headphones for all other music.  

I found my pair on Amazon for $199 + free shipping and no tax.  The price fluctuates quite a bit so I'd check periodically for best price.  

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #123 of 128
The HD-25 doesn't sit properly on the ears if they are worn back-to-front (wire on the left). The tilt of the cups feels awkward that way. Anyone reviewing them and talking of fit and comfort, with them positioned back-to-front, can't be relied upon as a reviewer.

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #126 of 128
  The HD-25 doesn't sit properly on the ears if they are worn back-to-front (wire on the left). The tilt of the cups feels awkward that way. Anyone reviewing them and talking of fit and comfort, with them positioned back-to-front, can't be relied upon as a reviewer.

Not to put too fine a point on it (though I enjoy do parting the hair around said point), but aren't you attributing a wee Hank too much normative import to the shape of your own skull? 

In fact, the Amperior(s) feel quite comfortable atop this grotesquely fluted bean, but that only means I'm an unreliable reviewer of headphones insofar as said phones are designed specifically for your head.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #127 of 128

If you're referring to me, I wasn't listening to the headphones while we were shooting the video--I was just wearing them in the video, for the video.

That was shot a long time ago, but I believe the reason for the inadvertent wrong-side wear is that (a) we were shooting a video, and there's a lot going on (in my head and in terms of process) while we're doing that; and (b) I was wearing the DT1350, too, which has a left-side cable.

In other words, when I listen to my HD 25-1 II, I do so with the cable on the right.

All that said, if that bit in the video is enough to make me unreliable to you as a reviewer, okay then.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #128 of 128
  Do the "adidas" use the steel or copper cable? Amusingly enough stock HD 25-1 retail at circa £120-£125, whereas the "adidas" retail at £200 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Also on the question of female vocals where would head-fiers rank the two? Bearing in mind my only comparator is the nice forward mids of the ESW9. Thanks

If you're referring to me, I wasn't listening to the headphones while we were shooting the video--I was just wearing them in the video, for the video.

That was shot a long time ago, but I believe the reason for the inadvertent wrong-side wear is that (a) we were shooting a video, and there's a lot going on (in my head and in terms of process) while we're doing that; and (b) I was wearing the DT1350, too, which has a left-side cable.

In other words, when I listen to my HD 25-1 II, I do so with the cable on the right.

All that said, if that bit in the video is enough to make me unreliable to you as a reviewer, okay then.

Don't worry about his silly comment - an excellent video and I thank you. My DT1350s should be arriving from Amazon shortly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back