Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 24, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #2,701 of 8,576
So u chose the HD800S I assume?

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #2,702 of 8,576
No, this was +/- couple of years ago when the Grado PS1Ke came out, which is the headphone I used my accumulated credit to buy, which I eventually sold. I purchased the 800S BNIB a couple of months ago from another H-F member.

After borrowing the HD800/S +/- a couple ago as well I knew that I would eventually own on or the other, so when the opportunity for the 800S came along I bought them.

Nov 24, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #2,703 of 8,576
Hey guys, would anyone mind speaking to the bass response of the HD800S?

I'm looking to retire my aging Denon D7000s and am used to an ample amount of bass for my music genres of choice (jazz, pop, hip-hop, electronic, primarily). I know these would be a solid upgrade in sound stage, mid and treble presentation over my V-shaped D7000 sound signature, but I know I ultimately won't be happy with them if bass thump is missing. I just won't be. I need to not just *hear* that the bass is there; I need to feel the bass too, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm between these, some ZMFs, and a pair of probably-too-expensive Audeze's. I've heard great things about all of the cans I'm considering and in regard to the 800S's I've read reviews that said (1) the bass was great in the 800S, (2) that the bass was fairly light, and (3) that the bass is better than the original HD800...which is a pretty low bar to clear and a minimum sort of expectation given the HD800 was well-known to lack bass. Needless to say, that sort of variance in reviews leads to some confusion. Without a way to demo them, I have to rely on you guys. Hoping for honest feedback here, and ideally from someone with similar music genre preferences, as the perspective of someone who generally prefers *just enough* bass probably won't be a terribly useful impression for me (with great respect).

Example tracks of bass that I enjoy feeling (if it helps):

Any insight would be appreciated. Looking to make my final decision today. Also, if anyone else is here in south Florida (Boca Raton area) and knows where I could demo them, please let me know. Hearing them for myself would be greatly preferable, but it doesn't appear to be an option right now. Thank you in advance.

Well, as a matter of fact I also own the D7000s, together with the HD800S and the LCD-X 2017 model. If I were to retire my Denons I would not definitely go for the Senns, I find the Audezes more on the sound the Denons are capable of come up with, being the LCD-Xs far superior to the sound the Denons offer. Both Senns and Audezes make a good complementary pair (IMHO), since they sound signature is that lovely but at the same time different.
My recommendation would be to try these Audezes and see if you like they sound signature and are capable of withstand their weight... Another closed alternative for the AH-D7000s would also be the Sonys Z1Rs.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #2,705 of 8,576
True, the bass is not "fun" or deep on the 800S, but more accurate than most any other 'phone IMO.

For critical listening, I'd go 800S all day.
When I want to party with subtereanean bass, I'd look elsewhere.....ie, Audeze.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #2,706 of 8,576
Audeze bass and the entire signature...cloying. Hifiman bass is more tasteful.

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #2,707 of 8,576
I was wondering why no one suggested Hifiman. I have the HD800 and had the D7000. If you want to 'feel' bass the HD800 (which is oriented towards precision) will not fulfill you. I think Hifiman headphones split the difference between Audeze headphones (somewhat dark) and HD800s (somewhat lean) offering full bodied bass while sounding natural, organic, cohesive and grain-free.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #2,708 of 8,576
Mmmmm...... I would not compare the bass and subbass slam the Denons can give you with that my HEXs V2 offer, for example. The HE400i for me, were "too dull" and the HE500 I could put them more on the "bright side".

If I talk about Audeze, I'm only referring myself to the LCD-Xs, being these the most neutral cans this trademark's got on the market today. (Let's see how the MX4s really do...).

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,710 of 8,576
DSC_1864.JPG

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #2,711 of 8,576
That's a WyWires Platinum balanced headphone cable. It needs about 100 hours of break in to sound its best. Computer is playing House, EDM and Dubstep 24/7 on Jango internet station.

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #2,712 of 8,576
@claud W...Nice setup.
I listen to a lot of drum and bass. I used to own the 800. I plan on going to the "S" for classical and jazz but feel it would be way too lean for EDM. For that I use my LCD-2 Fazor. How do u like the 800S for electronic music?

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,713 of 8,576
I like it just fine.

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #2,714 of 8,576
That's a WyWires Platinum balanced headphone cable. It needs about 100 hours of break in to sound its best. Computer is playing House, EDM and Dubstep 24/7 on Jango internet station.

@claud W...Nice setup.
I listen to a lot of drum and bass. I used to own the 800. I plan on going to the "S" for classical and jazz but feel it would be way too lean for EDM. For that I use my LCD-2 Fazor. How do u like the 800S for electronic music?
Since thats mostly what EDM is, So far so good. Its no Fostex TH 900, but what is?? I think it does bass as well as my Ethers. Not Basshead bass, but its there and it is very realistic and linear

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #2,715 of 8,576
Agree, HD800S have enough bass to be not lacking. In my case with Violectric V280 it have plenty of rumble. Especially when eqed, then it can became hardest hitting open back by a large margin! Seriously HD800S have amazingly capable bass capable Driver and it especially shows when you eq it.
I Dont think that EDM is that genre where eq can do any damage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back