Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 26, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #8,221 of 8,224
Hello, mate! I'm using WM1A right now and using WM1Z sig with higher gain "1" option.

I've read a bit in the forum that I should NOT turn the high gain mode on the PLAYER so I can use the higher gain "1" in the settings file, is that correct?
Even if I have to use higher volume step?

Also, did someone make a measurement about how high is the "higher" gain?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #8,222 of 8,224
So, I have done some measurements on my WM1A.
All measurements were done with Walkman One firmware (Walkman_One_J123_(07_03).zip) with Bright signature.
The player was in DAC mode, the signal from its balanced output was routed through a 47 Ohm load to the input of the PreSonus Audiobox 22VSL audio interface.

I checked the effect of DC Phase Linearizer settings on the player's output frequency response, and compared the output frequency response for a few regions.

The results of my measurements are on the attached pictures.
Nice work!

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #8,223 of 8,224
So, I have done some measurements on my WM1A.
All measurements were done with Walkman One firmware (Walkman_One_J123_(07_03).zip) with Bright signature.
The player was in DAC mode, the signal from its balanced output was routed through a 47 Ohm load to the input of the PreSonus Audiobox 22VSL audio interface.

I checked the effect of DC Phase Linearizer settings on the player's output frequency response, and compared the output frequency response for a few regions.

The results of my measurements are on the attached pictures.

Looking at the "regions" - it's all the same :D

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #8,224 of 8,224
There are even MQA files packed in 16 bit FLAC files. MQA seems to be for more than just having high frequency data packed, but also about analysing the file, and then processing it in a way so it will be used with a certain filter (out of many possible with MQA) when "unfolding".
Yes, you can get these 16-bit files from MQA-CD (mqa cd|Search|HMV&BOOKS online [English Site])

That's strange because the same SD Card with MQA files was recognized by the Sony ZX-507.

How do I confirm if it has the correct tags?
If you have Foobar, you can check the files' properties

Screenshot 2024-05-01 011922.png

I'm not sure if the "ORIGINAL SAMPLERATE" is actually used.

It was because I tried to manually change the "ORIGINAL SAMPLERATE" to some weird number, e.g. 99999999. The walkman can still play the file w/o any issues (and it displays the weird number as its sampling rate).

Sounds wise, seems no difference to me.

I kind of remember that it still works fine even the rate was set to zero.

Probably someone can try negative value too. Ha ha...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back