Stax Headphones
Feb 1, 2010 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

silverlake

New Head-Fier
I have a question about set up and performance of an old set of Stax SR-5N earspeakers I have. Up until now I've been hooking my speakers up to my receiver's main set of speaker inputs and then hooking up the SRD-6 adaptor that goes with the Stax headset to my receiver's second set of speaker inputs. However, now I can no longer use the second set of speaker inputs. So I was planning to connect the SRD-6 adaptor directly to the primary speaker inputs and then connect my main speakers into the adaptor itself and then use the speaker/loudspeaker selector switch on the adaptor to switch back and forth between speakers and headphones. But I've noticed that the wiring from the Stax adaptor to the reciever is far inferior to the monster cables I use for my speakers. Will I be compromising the sound quality of my speakers if I use them like this by way of the Stax adaptor or won't it matter? Thanks for the advice.

May 17, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 6
I had exactly the same problem with my SR5N's - or to be more exact, the SRD-6 energiser unit. I suspect that using the energiser as a swich will not really degrade the sound, as the leads to the amplifier are quite short.
However, there are a couple of mods which I did to my SRD-6 which you may like to do. Firstly, I replace the silly spring loaded connectors on the rear of the unit with 4mm binding posts. You have to mount these on an insulated board to cover the hole left by the removal of the spring connectors. Using the binding posts means you can use 4mm banana plugs or solder some 4mm connectors to your chosen (hefty) loudspeaker cable.

The other thing you can do (although not strictly a neccessity) is take the energiser apart and replace the (fairly lightweight) internal wiring from the loudspeaker connections to the multi pole switch on the front of the unit with something a bit more hefty. You will notice that the switch has a spare set of unused contacts, which can be parrelled up with the used contacts, and effectively reduces contact resistance.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, none of this is rocket science, and is pretty straight forward. Hope you find this helpful.

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 6
I have a basic Stax rig for sale here if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back