The discovery thread!
May 2, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #100,366 of 100,377
This is because it's making way for VADER. dundundeedundun
Vader bursting onto the scene ready to be KZ's flavor of the week

1000020904.gif

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #100,367 of 100,377
In 2024, I have really forced myself not to spend anything on chifi anymore and keep saving for 'better' gear instead, but you guys are so full of praise for Delci that I might have to make one tiiiiny little exception to that rule.
I am also tempted, but since I already have the EA500LM, which is said to be superior in all facets to the Delci, and i'm already loving the LM, I'm passing, along with the Hydro. Again, folks saying the LM is just as good if not better than the Hydro, I'll save it.

May 2, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #100,370 of 100,377
May 2, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #100,371 of 100,377
Recommend the Delci if you want something warm with a sub-bass emphasis or the Artti R1 for warmth with mid-bass emphasis that's has slightly tighter bass overall than Delci. Stage a bit wider with Delci, but R1 has a smidge more treble air and detail. Delci has more note weight, but R1 isn't reedy. Vocals a bit more recessed on R1, but slightly compared to Delci. No question Delci is more comfortable for me due to smaller size, but I can still wear R1 for a long time.

Both are dynamite at $60.
Ah interesting. Based on that artti R1 for me. I love the trio's mid bass focus which goes so well with my library. Sub-bass based detail-extraction lush beast I have in aful P8.

Also, trio isn't just about that bass of course. It's the staging - the transparency, the separation and the overall way in it presents a certain genre like doom metal or bass-electronica or even classical that attracts. Trio isn't instant attraction, but as @FreeWheelinAudioLuv2 says you come back to it.

Also, I think very important to understand what kind of iem will go well with the music you hear. What's ideal for one isn't same for the other (ears).

So, thanks for that post. Will ignore Delci and if I get, it will be Artti R1 to see what it does. But first will await that kz pro2.

May 2, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #100,372 of 100,377
I am also tempted, but since I already have the EA500LM, which is said to be superior in all facets to the Delci
Not in cohesion and timbre.

EA500 LM whips Delci for detail and technicalities. But I'll take the Delci's tuning and timbre seven days per week. Absolutely zero listening fatigue, while the EA500 LM made me wince at least once nearly every track.

My take on the EA500 LM is that Simgot's sound engineers got into three isolated rooms. One made the best bass possible for the budget range. The next made the best midrange possible for the budget range. The last made the best treble possible for the budget range. Then all three groups presented their creations individually, and they were stuffed into a beautiful chrome shell without a stop for final tuning.

I never got the sense of very good cohesion or transitions between bass and mids, and mids and treble when I tested the EA500 LM. Phenomenal detail retrieval and technical chops for the price in each of the three zones of the frequency response. But they never sounded like they meshed as you sense almost immediately in a richly euphonic, musical set.

But, hey, it's all in the context, right? My favorite headphones are the ZMF Aeolus, Sennheiser HD 6XX and Aful MagicOne. All have the same DNA strands of warm neutral with rolled-off treble and very cohesive, musical tuning. Squeezing the last bit of detail from the treble or the last rumble of boom from the sub-bass aren't bright beacons atop my radio tower.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #100,373 of 100,377
I like EA1000

That’s all opinions I have to contribute 😂

May 3, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #100,374 of 100,377
I did, and you made the right call with the Delci.

The Trio is an excellent set at $40, but the Delci is better in nearly every area. Only edge I can give the Trio is treble clarity, but that came at the expense of slight glare to me. The Delci has zippo top-end glare or sizzle.
Warm set with no top end sizzle. NOPE. Not my gig.

If I wanted that, I can pick any one of my Kiwi Ears sets.

May 3, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #100,375 of 100,377
How does the Hype 4 fare against the Doscinco?

Hype 4 versus Doscinco.jpg

Both are sub-bass heavy IEMs, but the Hype 4 has a more extended upper treble, whereas the Doscinco has more upper midrange and lower treble.

In technicalities, the Hype 4 is ahead for soundstage and imaging and layering.

So I’m dipping into a new realm, with the Geek Wold GK100

GK100 is probably the most analytical and technical IEM I've tried under $200 USD. You can hear fine nuances in the music that are not heard in rival IEMs within the same price bracket.

It is quite sterile sounding though, and lacks musicality. Also a bit bright for treble-sensitive folk. I think it will be an excellent tool for audio work or stage monitoring as such, but it may be a bit fatiguing for long usages for pure music appreciation. And another thing, if a badly mastered track is paired with the GK100, it will show everything warts and all, and areas like peaky vocals or sibilance is gonna be emphasized exponentially.

Geekwold GK100.jpg

AFAIK, his ABX shows statistically significant outcome that he can hear a difference between LPF of oversampling DAC. When they try to debug how he can hear that, it turns out the reason is that he can hear upto and above 20k.

353780357_649102663771850_4078082853350462886_n.jpg

The human hearing range is from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, but it is physiological to lose the higher frequencies as we get older. Normal part of aging, so in practice, the ones that can really hear up to 20 kHz are usually the very young, who have not been exposed to environmental loud noises (like in hobbies or occupational).

I sign off on audiometry results daily in my job, and I can tell you a lot of older folks claim they can hear more than 20 kHz. But actually they are not hearing the fundamental tone but a harmonic of this (overtone).

The other thing is, based on standard medical practice, we consider someone to "hear" a particular tone, if they can hear this note at 25 dB or less loudness. If someone on a non-calibrated hearing test boosts the volume to a much louder dB value, yes they will possibly be able to hear a note that they can't hear at < 25 dB, but we would consider anybody requiring > 30 dB at a particular tone to have some hearing loss for that tone.

Vader bursting onto the scene ready to be KZ's flavor of the week

1000020904.gif

Hold your horses. Maybe a KZ Vader Pro Ultra Max 2 will come out next week, with tuning switches and the same graphs as the Trio haha.

May 3, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #100,377 of 100,377
Sheesh, am in my early 30s, I should probably go all-in on audio while I can still hear lol. Guess it doesn’t matter much cuz I can just get more treble heavy stuff later on.

Bro, to take care of the ears, just don't listen to music to loudly! I know it is very tempting to blast the volume up to hear more dynamics and micro-details, but noise-induced hearing loss is permanent and irreversible.

Most worldwide guidelines recommend not to exceed 85 dB noise in an 8 hour period. As noise is logarithmic, for every 3 dB rise in noise exposure, it is recommended to half the exposure duration, if not permanent hearing loss will occur.

exposure-level-per-niosh-rel.jpg

Here's a little chart on the typical noise exposure we encounter. Music concerts can easily hit 130 dB which is actually not safe for the ears!

DB chart.jpg

The interesting thing is that noise induced hearing loss occurs at the 3, 4 and 6 kHz frequency bands, unlike age related hearing loss which starts at the extreme 20 kHz bands and works downwards. Reason for this is that the ear cells that transmit the 3 - 6 kHz bands are found nearest the outer ear and are first to die with prolonged noise.

So the 3 - 6 kHz band is typically the upper midrange and lower treble, so sometimes you see for the same IEM, someone says they find the upper mids very sedate, whereas another claims the upper mids are a banshee screaming shout-fest. We all hear differently, so other than ear anatomy affecting pinna gain, another reason could very well be to do with individual hearing health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back