The PENON official thread
May 2, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #13,681 of 13,694
Presumably there is some benefit to you and you are not just doing it out of the goodness of your heart ?
The only benefit I get is that I get some insight in to their releases and that is about it.

I have been a long time customer for penon and I got to know them over the years and so I started this thread. It stuck around as the official thread and that is all it is. I do know a lot about their sound and where they are headed and apparently Penon sees it the same way.

May 2, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #13,682 of 13,694
The only benefit I get is that I get some insight in to their releases and that is about it.

I have been a long time customer for penon and I got to know them over the years and so I started this thread. It stuck around as the official thread and that is all it is. I do know a lot about their sound and where they are headed and apparently Penon sees it the same way.

OK thank you.

For transparency I assume that you keep the gear that they give you to try and talk about, that seems logical. I have absolutely no argument with that but I do think in that situation transparency is important for context.

I know I am not in the majority with that opinion but I am certainly not alone either.

Sorry, nothing personal, I just don't like the 'advertorial' feeling that Head Fi takes on in places.

If you prefer not to answer I get that and respect your position.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #13,683 of 13,694
None of the stuff I get is actually mine. Penon sends them to me to audition and sometimes they are sent back to them. They do want me to keep most of the gears I review so I can answer questions like what is the Volt vs TSMR-X for example. Since I review all of them. They have never told me to help answer any questions about an IEM or anything like that. You guys do know I am the founder of the Discovery thread. Discovering excellent sounding stuff is what that thread is all about and has been for years. All of this is nothing new to me. I have been comparing and auditioning gears from various manufacturers for too many years to count. I dont mind comparing IEMs and breaking down a sound signature. Its in my blood. I was born the son of a audiophile that Sold records from the only record shop in all of Suwon S Korea during the 70s.

I never assume whatever they send me gives me free reign to sell them off or let others borrow them. Just in case.

Someone asks. what is the Volts vs TSMR-X. Quattros vs the Voltage. Ect.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #13,684 of 13,694
None of the stuff I get is actually mine. Penon sends them to me to audition and sometimes they are sent back to them. They do want me to keep most of the gears I review so I can answer questions like what is the Volt vs TSMR-X for example. Since I review all of them. They have never told me to help answer any questions about an IEM or anything like that. You guys do know I am the founder of the Discovery thread. Discovering excellent sounding stuff is what that thread is all about and has been for years. All of this is nothing new to me. I have been comparing and auditioning gears from various manufacturers for too many years to count. I dont mind comparing IEMs and breaking down a sound signature. Its in my blood. I was born the son of a audiophile that Sold records from the only record shop in all of Suwon S Korea during the 70s.

I never assume whatever they send me gives me free reign to sell them off or let others borrow them. Just in case.

Someone asks. what is the Volts vs TSMR-X. Quattros vs the Voltage. Ect.

Thank you for the detailed response, that was more than needed but I appreciate the detail.

That provides transparency and context which I think is something that is missing at HF and I think adds value to your contribution here and other threads.

May 2, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #13,685 of 13,694
Ya believe me I am no different than all you guys that frequent the threads, I so happend to be a reviewer and someone that started one of the most influential threads in all of headfi that helped out more enthusiasts at all levels than I can count.

Over the years I have made numerous friends here on headfi I feel I have a responsibilty to share with. I am not gonna say something sounds good that sounds like poo. Let me put it that way. All I am doing is letting the perspective enthsiast know what type of sound quality your dealing with so you get a good idea from my words of what to expect.

Getting review stuff is ok but I dont do it for the money as there is none to be made. Dont know if you guys know but if you are caught selling review gears on the net and one of the admins finds out. That is a reason to be banned. Plus thats just bad mojo and unsaid rule about reviewing on headfi. It drives my wife crazy I get boxes of stuff all the time as she thinks I am buying yet another IEM but she dont understand what I am and who I am here on headfi at all.

My posting here is an escape from work and real life for me believe it or not. Posting about sound from IEMS here on headfi. Heck I am listening to music all the time anyway so why not. Sharing with fellow enthusiasts is what the threads should be about no? Thats what I personally encourage from others. We are all in it for the same reason. Whats good whats bad. In the end I realize most folks will not be able to get a preproduction version of the Voltage and are not in the same position I am in to have access to that kind of stuff. So I am gonna write about it let you all know how I hear it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #13,686 of 13,694
Ya believe me I am no different than all you guys that frequent the threads, I so happend to be a reviewer and someone that started one of the most inflential threads in all of headfi that helped out more enthusiasts at all levels than I can count.

Over the years I have made numerous friends here on headfi I feel I have a responsibilty to share with. I am not gonna say something sounds good that sounds like poo. Let me put it that way. All I am doing is letting the perspective enthsiast know what type of sound quality your dealing with so you get a good idea from my words of what to expect.

Getting review stuff is ok but I dont do it for the money as there is none to be made. Dont know if you guys know but if you are caught selling review gears on the net and one of the admins finds out. That is a reason to be banned. Plus thats just bad mojo and unsaid rule about reviewing on headfi. It drives my wife crazy I get boxes of stuff all the time as she thinks I am buying yet another IEM but she dont understand what I am and who I am here on headfi at all.

My posting here is an escape from work and real life for me believe it or not. Posting about sound from IEMS here on headfi. Heck I am listening to music all the time anyway so why not. Sharing with fellow enthusiasts is what the threads should be about no? Thats what I personally encourage from others. We are all in it for the same reason. Whats good whats bad. In the end I realize most folks will not be able to get a preproduction version of the Voltage and are not in the same position I am in to have access to that kind of stuff. So I am gonna write about it let you all know how I hear it.
I envy you in a good way for all the gear you get to try and hear. I appreciate your perspective and input greatly.

By the way, I just heard the TSMR-X and then the Quattro, both amazing IEMs, but Penon's sound is so analog; musical is just wonderful and a pleasure to listen to.

May 2, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #13,687 of 13,694
The Correir Brass tips have just opened up the Quattro in a great way.

May 2, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #13,688 of 13,694
Ya believe me I am no different than all you guys that frequent the threads, I so happend to be a reviewer and someone that started one of the most inflential threads in all of headfi that helped out more enthusiasts at all levels than I can count.

Bro, no need to defend yourself from the same trolls, day in and day out, that plague various places within Head Fi. You don't need to explain yourself - you made clear you've not made a penny, you're a longtime fan who started this AND the Discovery thread (kudos - that is the most visited thread on Head Fi, I believe!), and these same trolls do this in other threads, too (@warrenpchi they're here). They like to aggressively challenge and poke threads with their conspiracy theories but they rarely listen to the answers actually given.

I seriously would not fault you in the slightest for using the "ignore" feature - anyone who's been in this thread long enough, or has actually read through it, knows who you are. The trolls don't know, and they don't really care, they just like to prod threads to get their kicks.

May 2, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #13,689 of 13,694
@Dsnuts has been a voice i respect and appreciate. His reviews and opinions have led me to two iems i still have and enjoy, namely Penon Serial and Dunu SA6. He has been an honest reviewer in my estimation.

May 2, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #13,690 of 13,694
Bro, no need to defend yourself from the same trolls, day in and day out, that plague various places within Head Fi. You don't need to explain yourself - you made clear you've not made a penny, you're a longtime fan who started this AND the Discovery thread (kudos - that is the most visited thread on Head Fi, I believe!), and these same trolls do this in other threads, too (@warrenpchi they're here). They like to aggressively challenge and poke threads with their conspiracy theories but they rarely listen to the answers actually given.

I seriously would not fault you in the slightest for using the "ignore" feature - anyone who's been in this thread long enough, or has actually read through it, knows who you are. The trolls don't know, and they don't really care, they just like to prod threads to get their kicks.
to ask a polite question is to troll? That's fascinating. As someone pointed out, it's a reasonable thing to ask if you are newer to the thread but have enough time under your belt. And the answers and following posts on the subject were all reasonable as well. until yours.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #13,691 of 13,694

I know you don't really care but that isn't accurate.

I am not a troll or interested in causing a stir, I just think transparency is important to the context of content provided by individuals who stand out as obviously rather more involved and active than most. Even more so when one isn't a long time reader of certain threads and doesn't understand the subtleties behind who a person is and what their contribution is based on. I think that is reasonable, how does a person who isn't a long term regular reader know the context ?

Dsnuts was kind enough to offer some background and context which puts things in perfectly fair perspective. I don't see what is so wrong in having asked the question and it seems he didn't take obvious offense, he responded politely and I took that on board and all was well. You probably see it differently because you seem to understand the background or don't care and I get that but just because me or anybody else are not in that same position and feel it is OK to ask the question doesn't make me or them trolls or stirrers or anything else. I just like to know the context behind the information I am reading, is that so bad ? You understand it already apparently or don't care so you don't need to ask, I don't know it and I do care so I did ask.

You seem to have a perception probably based on my comments on a certain other thread and you think you understand me and my motivation. You then react to it and call me out on certain things. You don't understand my motivation at all and you respond to what you think I mean and not what I actually mean. I think that is based on a certain level of a "brotherhood" mindset between a number of hardcore and like minded regulars here, and as an intelligent adult I understand that of course, but it doesn't make your assessment of me and my motivation right.

May 2, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #13,692 of 13,694

Thank you again, frankly I don't envy you, I can see that would all become quite the juggling act !!

May 2, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #13,693 of 13,694
May 3, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #13,694 of 13,694
I know you don't really care but that isn't accurate.

I am not a troll or interested in causing a stir, I just think transparency is important to the context of content provided by individuals who stand out as obviously rather more involved and active than most. Even more so when one isn't a long time reader of certain threads and doesn't understand the subtleties behind who a person is and what their contribution is based on. I think that is reasonable, how does a person who isn't a long term regular reader know the context ?

Dsnuts was kind enough to offer some background and context which puts things in perfectly fair perspective. I don't see what is so wrong in having asked the question and it seems he didn't take obvious offense, he responded politely and I took that on board and all was well. You probably see it differently because you seem to understand the background or don't care and I get that but just because me or anybody else are not in that same position and feel it is OK to ask the question doesn't make me or them trolls or stirrers or anything else. I just like to know the context behind the information I am reading, is that so bad ? You understand it already apparently or don't care so you don't need to ask, I don't know it and I do care so I did ask.

You seem to have a perception probably based on my comments on a certain other thread and you think you understand me and my motivation. You then react to it and call me out on certain things. You don't understand my motivation at all and you respond to what you think I mean and not what I actually mean. I think that is based on a certain level of a "brotherhood" mindset between a number of hardcore and like minded regulars here, and as an intelligent adult I understand that of course, but it doesn't make your assessment of me and my motivation right.
I said it originally. Read the thread before posting a question that's been asked before.

And second, stop cross examining people like they are plants to make you buy. One uninformed question, fine, but stop it after that if you're not willing to read thru the thread to figure out the guy you need to know, RIGHT NOW, is a paid rep.

You've been around long enough to know about "member of the trade" and head Fi rules.

This guy does it for the love of the hobby. You've been around long enough to read that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back