The Reference 6SN7 Thread
May 1, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #9,991 of 10,001
Have you listened to either Psvane CV181-T MkII and/or Linlai E-6SN7? If so, can you compare/contrast them against this one?

Prices are pretty insane on these.

-Ed
I have both of those tubes and to my ears the Psvane CV181-T MkII is a very nice tube indeed - one of my favorites. The sound of the WE6SN7Plus reminds me of the Psvane tube. The treble on the Linlai E-6SN7 has an unpleasantly sharp edge to my ears, but I'm very treble sensitive so YMMV.

May 1, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #9,992 of 10,001
I see…thank you! Any estimate on number of hours burn-in on each type?

-Ed

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #9,993 of 10,001
There seems to be a lot of love for the Kenrad VT231 / 6SN7GT. Have never heard them, but at $400 a pair for "WWII era with smoked glass", are they worth it?

May 1, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #9,994 of 10,001
I should have heard more than 30 different 6sn7s or equivalent. Melz 1578, kenrad vt231, bad boys are my favorites. I haven't heard mullard cv181, sylvania 6sn7w so I can't comment on those.

If you are patient enough, you should be able to find a good pair under $300. The clear glass version is much cheaper, but they have same construction and sound pretty much the same.

May 1, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #9,995 of 10,001
There seems to be a lot of love for the Kenrad VT231 / 6SN7GT. Have never heard them, but at $400 a pair for "WWII era with smoked glass", are they worth it?
Is that price from a dealer with money back guarantee, and it comes with the ww2 contract boxes in perfect condition?

For me, I'd just buy from eBay, 200 USD per tested pair still seems possible. The ones people typically want are the staggered plates, the parallel plate variant is by GE

May 2, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #9,996 of 10,001
I’d like to know what comparisons you’ve made with this as well. I’ve been sticking with NOS tubes- haven’t seen or heard any of the newer stuff out there.
If you'd like to try a new-production tube I would recommend a Psvane. I've had good experience with their tubes. A couple of favorites are the CV181-T MkII, the 6SN7-SE 'Tennis Ball' and the UK-6SN7. From what I've read Psvane was started by a few of the folks working at Shuguang, and then a few of the Psvane folks broke away and started Linlai.

May 2, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #9,997 of 10,001
If you'd like to try a new-production tube I would recommend a Psvane. I've had good experience with their tubes. A couple of favorites are the CV181-T MkII, the 6SN7-SE 'Tennis Ball' and the UK-6SN7. From what I've read Psvane was started by a few of the folks working at Shuguang, and then a few of the Psvane folks broke away and started Linlai.
How does that SE/tennis ball sound compared to the CV181-T MkII?

-Ed

May 2, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #9,998 of 10,001
I see…thank you! Any estimate on number of hours burn-in on each type?

-Ed
I generally start listening to the tube right away. I have noticed that it gets a bit getter after a couple of hours, but I don't really notice huge changes after that. Basically, my experience is that if I like a tube from the beginning it gets better with use, but if I don't like a tube (too bright for my ears, for example) burn-in doesn't make me enjoy it more. The good ones get better, but the bad don't get good, if you will.

May 2, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #9,999 of 10,001
I have both of those tubes and to my ears the Psvane CV181-T MkII is a very nice tube indeed - one of my favorites. The sound of the WE6SN7Plus reminds me of the Psvane tube. The treble on the Linlai E-6SN7 has an unpleasantly sharp edge to my ears, but I'm very treble sensitive so YMMV.
It might be amp dependant, not sure. On my unit it was the opposite, Linlai sounded softer up top (easier on the ear) while Psvane were sharper/more energetic in the treble region.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #10,000 of 10,001
It might be amp dependant, not sure. On my unit it was the opposite, Linlai sounded softer up top (easier on the ear) while Psvane were sharper/more energetic in the treble region.
Good point! I've given up trying to predict amp/tube (or amp/headphone) synergy. The only way to figure out what works well is to try it, IMHO.

May 2, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #10,001 of 10,001
Between the Psvane CV181-T MkII and the ShuGuang WE6SN7 Plus, do you have a preference between them? Any specific differences at all in their sound?

Or better said: since I already have the CV181-T MkII in my amp, should I even bother with the WE6SN7 Plus? Keep in mind that unfortunately for me it is an investment of at least two if not four units (Schiit Freya+ —yes, I know this is a headphone-focused forum, but this thread is a major resource for anyone researching 6SN7 tubes in general).

I do have an OTL tube headphone amp, but that one does not take 6SN7 tubes (xDuoo TA-66).

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back