Trends Audio NEW Headphone Tube AMP: UPDATE W/ Photos
Mar 4, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #46 of 48

Quote:
Quote:
I can confirm what people say about this amp:

Stock chinese tube from stock model sounds like CR*P, insta-roll recommended, it has no scene (k701 sound like closed headphones with this tube its THAT bad) and bass is awful.

I switched the stock tube for RFT ECC82, and i got hypnotized with the sound clarity, control and scene instantly when i turned it on, even thou it wasn't burned in yet.

This amp offers sound compared to 3x more expensive hybrids. Actually i boutgh all Trends Audio products and i can recommend them all, especially the TA-10.

I read that you can't just pull and plug a replacement tube for this amp?  Something about having to match voltage or something....I dunno.  Is it just plug and play?  

I bought mine 2nd hand and when music is not playing or is on low volume, I hear noise/hiss/light crackling in my left earphone.  I've tried with my DT880 250[size=small]Ω and Triplefi10.  Sounds clean and decent to me, but maybe no warmth that I was expecting (my first tube amp).  [/size][size=small]What could this hiss be?  It's not the source or the source cable.  Even with no input the sound is still there when I plug in headphones or IEMs.    [/size]

when i pulled it, the hiss/fuzz/light crackling sound went away.  that's probably a good sign, right?  just need to replace tube?   

In fact, after I plug it back in, there is no sound even when I turn it on.  It takes a minute or so for it to warm up and make that sound in the left ear...  Again, i can't hear this noise when I have my music up at listening volume.  

http://tctubes.com/mullard-12au7-ecc82-iec.aspx is what it has in there.  Mullard IED [size=small]12AU7A/ECC82 GT. BRITAIN .   Does this mean that it isn't the stock cheap tube?  It's around $50 on that website for one tube, while there are ones that sell for less than $15.[/size]

Also a heads-up I'll be posting this in the classifieds as soon as I'm able since I want something portable soon.  I joined sometime early February..  

Any help?  With the hiss/fuzz in the left channel...       To replace tubes you have to use a multimeter?  something about resetting jumpers or something.  I found this review on amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/review/R18QGQE8CZI0VA  

[size=small]This is a wonderful preamp/headphone amp with the right tube. I originally started with the unit with the chinese 6N11 tube and gave that a try for 100+ hours. After some use, the bias was off - setting the bias equally to 16.5V helped, but the unit was overly bright and lacking low-end, especially at moderate to high volumes, and especially with headphones. A warmer JJ-E88CC tube went in - bass improved, but the sound was veiled, especially at moderately low volumes, and the headphones didn't improve much at all - I didn't give this tube more than about 30 hours.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Re-setting the J3, J4, and J5 jumpers to take a 12AU7 tube and installing, in this case, the JJ european-number 12AU7 equivalent, the difference was immediately apparent.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]With the 12AU7, the PA-10 is stunning - it really opened up - solid and even through the frequency range and at all volume levels, very dynamic, excellent presence and separation both as a preamp AND with headphones (Grado 325i in this case). In this configuration, definitely a very good amp for the price.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]With a multimeter, setting the bias and changing the internal jumpers is easy - with the 4 top face plate screws the top lifts off to allow access to the test points, pots, and jumpers. There is a short technical page from the Trends site that details this, and there is also a version of this amp available with a 12AU7.[/size]

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #47 of 48
it was the oxidation.  gonna try to clean it.  i tried a new tube (cheap from guitar center) and there is no noise/fuzz at all.  It's not as good as the one it currently has though...not even close.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back