Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
May 1, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #5,971 of 5,977
May 1, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #5,972 of 5,977
Looks amazing. Congrats!
Thanks! I’ve been wanting a Vio for a long time but just never pulled the trigger for one reason or another. Initial listens have been good so far though, definitely drives with authority and lean to the warmer side is ❤️

May 1, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #5,973 of 5,977
When you get a chance, could you compare the V281 to the Mjolnir 3 amp? That will be an interesting comparison!

May 1, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #5,974 of 5,977
Thanks! I’ve been wanting a Vio for a long time but just never pulled the trigger for one reason or another. Initial listens have been good so far though, definitely drives with authority and lean to the warmer side is ❤️
Definitely a touch warm. Tastefully so. Less so with higher impedance headphones in my short experience where they benefit from all that power. Planars I find to have a bit more bloom, but I am listening to my Code X2 right now and it sounds awesome. So different from my normal amps. Nice juxtaposition, that is for sure.

May 1, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #5,975 of 5,977
To those still remotely interested in what I have to say about the V281, after all, I keep writing and writing; I have decided that the best comparison for the V281 is my ECAF. The PB MK2, CFA3 and Corda Soul MK2 are all so different I don't think comparing them will do the V281 justice. They are just so different and so wonderful in their own right, but so is the V281, so I want to keep my comparisons concise. I will discuss a lot the differences in headphones, and yes amps too, but I will focus more on how the V281 sounds and less about what other amps do. It is possible to exist in a state where we enjoy more than one thing.

My headphones sound very different on this amp depending on their load and how much current they need and where in the FR they need the current. Thus far my favorite headphone on the V281 is the ZMF Atrium Open. That headphone's synergy with the V281 is simply incredible. The headphones innate sense of back to front depth pairs beautifully with the V281's ability to navigate complexity and make things sound simple and organic. The pocket is perfectly formed allowing for the AO to open up completely where you get incredible note decay, air and tone. Timbral qualities remain north of neutral or slightly warm, but I find the 281 to be warmer with more bloom in the bass with lower impedance headphones. With my ZMFs the sound is exactly right to my ears. Do I prefer it to my ECAF? No! But, that isn't actually fair as I don't prefer anything to the ECAF. I just love that amp and how it pairs with my Roon Core and DAC. The combo is simply alive. The V281 is providing me 98% of this sensation, and I can't allow myself to stop listening. It is exactly as it was meant for when built, just like my Atrium's. To be used, to be enthralled, and most importantly, to enjoy.

If you are a scuba diver, you will understand this analogy. I spent 6 months as the chef on a live aboard diving yacht 90 miles south of Cuba on the Bloody Bay Wall off of Little Cayman Island. I got to dive every day and when you dive every day for 6 straight months you start to realize certain truths about the world that exist underwater that also exist above the surface. Underwater there are these cleaning stations on the reefs. Spots where there are an abundance of cleaner gobies and shrimp that like the food off the scales of the bigger fish. On a healthy reef, there is complete cooperation. The big fish line up like it is a car wash waiting their turn. I used to spend hours over the course of my time there watching the cleaning stations just fascinated by the cooperation. A Grouper, a Barricuda, and many other big game fish who hunt for a living all lined up waiting their turn to be cleaned. When it is their turn they open up their gills and they actually look like they take a deep breath and sigh with relaxation as the gobies and shrimp have a meal while they clean their skin and gills inside and out. Even inside their mouths. It is quite the sight. It taught me that when things are healthy, there is plenty of room, and business for everyone. True to Darwinism those that were hurt or not strong enough to survive became meals, but that would happen at night or when they were hungry. But, when the reef was healthy these big game fish cooperated because there was enough for everyone. Something that we as humans could learn a lot from. There is plenty for everyone when we keep it healthy and safe for all. And the amps that aren't worth their value will fade away naturally. We don't need to disparage them, this will happen naturally.

Ok, sorry for that detour, but there was a point. The point is that there is plenty of room for the V281, the ECAF, CFA3, Bliss, or any TOTL amp when the market is healthy and those who are in the know make informed decisions. Everyone wins! And to the V281, welcome back to the cleaning station for headphones. There is plenty of room for you.

Goodnight!

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #5,976 of 5,977
Another request for a V281 vs Mjolnir 3 comparison please, ....especially as the M3 is about half the price.

May 3, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #5,977 of 5,977
I have been struggling with how the V281 presents bass with my Code X. Here is the first song where the V281 keeps up with the pace of the band on my Code X. This might not be for many of you, but the bass just moves in a such a great way creating a fast and lucid pocket and the songs timing changes are perfectly upheld. I hope you enjoy... I love the way both guitar players interplay while they float in and out as the song works its way through the composed section change before dropping into the improvisational section so effortlessly. The drums are so present. Bass is right out front, as Moe's bass player always is. No pick, just his fingers and feel as they move across the strings. There is a power and lucidity to the way he plays bass that has always been my favorite part of Moe. They are not a band I listen to often, but sometimes they just hit the mark.

"Drink Cognac and eat Gouda Cheese"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back