What you can hear, versus what you can hear
Jul 18, 2001 at 5:54 PM Post #16 of 18
Since Zoo brought up Steve Hoffman, I asked him to comment on this discussion. Here's his reply:

Quote:

Hi Donald,

Don't worry, you're not bothering me...

I took a look over there...

Some points... No LP's can even cut a 15k tone without a great deal of trouble...Most cutting heads start to lose it around 12k, and it's all downhill from there, especially as the stylus gets to the inner part of the lacquer.

It has nothing to do with the manufacturing process, it's just the way a cutter head works. We never notice because of the lifelike analog sound. In fact, a record cutting is a true "analog" in the literal sense of the word. Still, nothing up there but tics and pops, I'm sorry to say...

Of course, an LP cut before the German systems came in to being in the early 1970's, usually have NOTHING above 12k....

You can quote me, but get ready for the flames!

Best regards,

Steve

Jul 18, 2001 at 11:25 PM Post #17 of 18
Hey, Jude, I posted a big long reply to this thread in the middle of the night last night -- any idea where it went?

Jul 19, 2001 at 5:22 AM Post #18 of 18
I gess JVC must have used some spechel method to Cut their DC4 Test record with frequency response sweep from 20-50,000Hz. also if the Bandwidth is only limited to 12K then How in the Heck is the rear channel infomation retrived?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back