WinXP Restart Error (with pop up message)
Aug 21, 2007 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jlo mein

In some place that's not Canada ....the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
On my Windows XP laptop, it will sometimes bring up a popup error that causes it to restart in 60 seconds. This happens when I try to awake from the laptop's sleep mode, or when I run several programs at once.

Does any have any idea if there is a fix? The pop up message is:

error.JPG

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 9
for a temporary fix try pressing "start" "run" and type in "cmd" and press enter. this will open up a black command prompt

type "shutdown -a" or somethin

edit: this should cancel the shutdown timer and allow u some time to fix the problem

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go into ''Run'', type in ''services.msc'' and turn off/on Remote Prodecure Call?
confused.gif

Dont ever do this. Firstly, it cant be turned off (not via services.msc anyway) and secondly it should never be disabled, its one of the most critical processes in a Win XP system.

Download the fix for Blaster worm from here and follow instructions as given on the webpage:
http://www.symantec.com/security_res...081119-5051-99

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 9
It is just a low power feature...:wink: Blaster Worm. Classic symptoms.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 9
Something in the background (I'd guess the Blaster or one of its varients) is terminating your RPC.

Try this:

In many cases, on both Windows 2000 and XP, changing the settings for the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service may allow you to connect to the Internet without the computer shutting down. To restore Internet connectivity to your PC, follow these steps:

Click Start > Run. The Run dialog box appears.
Type:

SERVICES.MSC /S

in the open line, and then click OK. The Services window opens.

In the left pane, double-click Services and Applications, and then select Services. A list of services appears.
In the right pane, locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUTION: There is also a service named Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator. Do not confuse the two.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, and then click Properties.
Click the Recovery tab.
Using the drop-down lists, change First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures to "Restart the Service."
Click Apply, and then OK.

CAUTION: Make sure that you change these settings back once you have removed the worm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back