ZMF Atrium Closed
Apr 16, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #527 of 3,180
Apr 16, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #528 of 3,180
detailed writing, congratulations. I have never heard zmf headphones before, but based on the reports, they must be wonderful headphones. is there anyone here with head-fi directly from the zmf company so I can contact them?
Paging @zach915m , though you can also email his team through their Web site. 👍

Oh and yes, some of us think ZMF headphones are THE BEST. ❤️

Apr 16, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #529 of 3,180
detailed writing, congratulations. I have never heard zmf headphones before, but based on the reports, they must be wonderful headphones. is there anyone here with head-fi directly from the zmf company so I can contact them?
@zach915m is quite active in all of the threads, but the ZMF crew is at Axpona this weekend.

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #531 of 3,180
[Updated post] Pics of the Queensland Maple AC left for fun :L3000:

zmf_ac-1-LR.jpgzmf_ac-2-LR.jpgzmf_ac-3-LR.jpgzmf_ac-4-LR.jpgzmf_ac-5-LR.jpgzmf_ac-6-LR.jpgzmf_ac-7-LR.jpgzmf_ac-8-LR.jpgzmf_ac-9-LR.jpgzmf_ac-10-LR.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #533 of 3,180
So, I switched out the pads today for the first time on the AC. I have been using the Lambskin's and just put on the Suede's. This is the first time I have not heard the sound slow down with suede pads and bump the midbass. I agree with @goldwerger and many others that the suede pads tame the bass a bit and open up the midrange and treble. This is a new thing for me with ZMF as I almost always prefer the lambskin pad variants. I am listening to the AC on the Meier Corda Soul and it sounds sensational. This is also the first high impedance ZMF that I like on my SS amps as much as my tube amp. The Corda Soul and AC are an absolutely incredible pairing. Refined, detailed, powerful and full of life. The sound is dense without being muddy. Muscular without slow. Decay isn't as fast as the VC, but I love the AC. It is such a fun headphone. I can't wait to hear a different wood. I have the stained cherry and it sounds wonderful.

Apr 18, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #534 of 3,180
This is a new thing for me with ZMF as I almost always prefer the lambskin pad variants.

It was a new thing for me as well! I had the exact same experience. So happy you are finding this enjoyable :)

Apr 18, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #535 of 3,180
November and it's rarities can't come soon enough
For any of us.

Buying ZMF is stopping me from buying components I want to improve my chain. I can't decide whether that's a good thing or not :)

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #536 of 3,180
For any of us.

Buying ZMF is stopping me from buying components I want to improve my chain. I can't decide whether that's a good thing or not :)
I know exactly what you mean. I decided I needed a new DAC, but ZMF put those beautiful VOs on sale….. so…..Hello VO!

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #537 of 3,180
For any of us.

Definitely a good thing -- generally a much better use of money wrt gear.

Not that DAC/amps don't influence the sound, they do, but the transducer will always be the largest contributing factor.

Plus, ZMFs are addicting works of art. :)

Apr 18, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #538 of 3,180
This is also the first high impedance ZMF that I like on my SS amps as much as my tube amp. The Corda Soul and AC are an absolutely incredible pairing. Refined, detailed, powerful and full of life. The sound is dense without being muddy. Muscular without slow. Decay isn't as fast as the VC, but I love the AC. It is such a fun headphone. I can't wait to hear a different wood. I have the stained cherry and it sounds wonderful.
Thank you Geoff and the rest of the AC owners/reviewers who have posted impressions. It’s hugely helpful, and I greatly look forward to ordering an AC pair from Zach and team in January 2024 (when I have funds available).

The more I read, the more I consider owning an Atrium Closed and a Verité Closed great yin/yang listening options.

(What do you mean, “now you just need a Caldera as well?”) 😂

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #539 of 3,180
After listening to the standup bass solo in this track on my Bocote Eikons, I’m thinking a harder wood like Olive is the way to go for my future AC purchase. 😍

Funnily enough I have an African Blackwood pair of VCs inbound, and look forward to hearing VCs in a very hard wood, indeed.

IMG_2428.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #540 of 3,180
So, I switched out the pads today for the first time on the AC. I have been using the Lambskin's and just put on the Suede's. This is the first time I have not heard the sound slow down with suede pads and bump the midbass. I agree with @goldwerger and many others that the suede pads tame the bass a bit and open up the midrange and treble. This is a new thing for me with ZMF as I almost always prefer the lambskin pad variants. I am listening to the AC on the Meier Corda Soul and it sounds sensational. This is also the first high impedance ZMF that I like on my SS amps as much as my tube amp. The Corda Soul and AC are an absolutely incredible pairing. Refined, detailed, powerful and full of life. The sound is dense without being muddy. Muscular without slow. Decay isn't as fast as the VC, but I love the AC. It is such a fun headphone. I can't wait to hear a different wood. I have the stained cherry and it sounds wonderful.
I’m the opposite, as I’ve preferred suede pads on almost all of the zmf headphones, with the exceptions being the Aeolus (universe lamb) and the caldera (Pretty much love everything).

I’m thinking I will adore the suede pads on the AC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back