Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
May 6, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #2,176 of 2,289
As far as I know the best way to avoid ground loop issues is to power all of your audio chain from ONE outlet, using power distributor (filter).
I can recommend the Puritan PSM136, it has a Ground connection to allow a dedicated earth using their ground master router, very effective, I get no detectable noise from my system. Not the cheapest option but offers a noticeable improvement in sound that I would say is cost effective. I have always been a strong believer in good mains power.

May 6, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #2,177 of 2,289
I can recommend the Puritan PSM136, it has a Ground connection to allow a dedicated earth using their ground master router, very effective, I get no detectable noise from my system. Not the cheapest option but offers a noticeable improvement in sound that I would say is cost effective. I have always been a strong believer in good mains power.
I never heard any noise from my HA-3A as well as from my other gear with exception of the speaker tube amp, but that very faint hum seems inherent to my unit. I always plugged the whole setup into one inexpensive Supra distributor.

May 6, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #2,178 of 2,289
I never heard any noise from my HA-3A as well as from my other gear with exception of the speaker tube amp, but that very faint hum seems inherent to my unit. I always plugged the whole setup into one inexpensive Supra distributor.
Supra gear is very good, I have & still use some of their cables. Not tried their distribution blocks but would imagine they are very good, they do seem to offer sensible pricing for their products

May 6, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #2,179 of 2,289
Every unit comes with the Faraday cage and it does actually help with outside interference.
Is the faraday cage connected to ground?
Anybody did see it internally?

Thanks ☺️

May 7, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #2,181 of 2,289
Many thanks to The Abyss 2022 for the tube recommendation. I planned to purchase the HA-300 next, but feel quite content with the HA-3A so far. I’ve bought some beautiful things instead. While listening to beautiful music you want see the beauty around you.

Attachments

• 1DFE046A-8505-4202-B875-E88595995924.jpeg
    1DFE046A-8505-4202-B875-E88595995924.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
  • D47B5FA5-B0CA-48EC-AE12-0FCF00C91E85.jpeg
    D47B5FA5-B0CA-48EC-AE12-0FCF00C91E85.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #2,182 of 2,289
Many thanks to The Abyss 2022 for the tube recommendation. I planned to purchase the HA-300 next, but feel quite content with the HA-3A so far. I’ve bought some beautiful things instead. While listening to beautiful music you want see the beauty around you.
No problem.

My next tube amplifier will be the ZMF Aegis for the looks and apparent sound quality that rivals the HA-300 for less money.

May 7, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #2,183 of 2,289
I’m kinda with the same sentiment the HA-3A is so good I don’t see how it could get any better. Super curious about the Aegis though, but I kinda feel like I’d rather just go straight OTL to have both types of tube sounds

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #2,184 of 2,289
It definitely is, since whole chassis is grounded (connected to ground).
Thanks for the clarification.
I just removed because of the power tubes, but found a workaround to put it with larger screws.
For now: Mullard 6v6g stcc wd arrow and Mullard 12au7 10m
IMG-20240507-WA0011.jpg

May 7, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #2,185 of 2,289
I’m kinda with the same sentiment the HA-3A is so good I don’t see how it could get any better. Super curious about the Aegis though, but I kinda feel like I’d rather just go straight OTL with a defeated to have both types of tube sounds
Yeah the HA-3A sounds amazing and having Audivarana now makes it sound like I got a DAC upgrade lol. I just want a tube amplifier that will drive headphones like the Abyss AB1266, Susvara etc. There's no point in buying those types of headphones now until I have sufficient power to drive them.

May 7, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #2,186 of 2,289
Yeah the HA-3A sounds amazing and having Audivarana now makes it sound like I got a DAC upgrade lol. I just want a tube amplifier that will drive headphones like the Abyss AB1266, Susvara etc. There's no point in buying those types of headphones now until I have sufficient power to drive them.
Yeah if power is the issue I definitely see the need for the upgrade. Though I personally tend to prefer running high power headphones on solid state typically.

May 7, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #2,187 of 2,289
I’m kinda with the same sentiment the HA-3A is so good I don’t see how it could get any better. Super curious about the Aegis though, but I kinda feel like I’d rather just go straight OTL with a defeated to have both types of tube sounds
I'm sure the Aegis is phenomenal and right now the hype train for it is rollin' big time. There may be a point in the future I decide I want to move up to it, but outside of the sound (which I can only base on subjective opinions) everything else on the HA-3A suits my needs and preferences better.

May 7, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #2,188 of 2,289
Thanks for the clarification.
I just removed because of the power tubes, but found a workaround to put it with larger screws.
For now: Mullard 6v6g stcc wd arrow and Mullard 12au7 10m

Honeypot

I like to have the cage on my amp when not using (never know who or if I may bump it) to protect the tubes and often do run it with the cage on, as yes it does help with RF interference. I do run it off as I have a shield for the only thing that when turned on (a wireless headset) can add a rhythmic buzzing with certain tubes. Else where I have my amp as well as power isolation its dead quiet.

Early on in this forum several mentioned this part you can buy allows you to use the tube cage with the taller tubes
I too use the 6v6G ST type tubes, and have used speaker wire banana plugs (take out the middle screw and connector for the wire) and leave them in the holes on the amp
I then can place the cage on the banana plugs and can easily remove and replace cage at will.

1715111355382.png

Amazon in the US had a great choice of barrel colors, styles and a wide range of prices

This has worked for me since I got the amp but I can't take credit for this, as it was mentioned very early in this forums threads
Here are close up pictures of the cage sitting on the banana plugs and clearing the taller 6v6G ST tubes
1715111459528.png
1715111523340.png

Hope this helps

May 7, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #2,189 of 2,289
Schiit Mjolnir 3 and Flux Mentor versus my upgraded Cayin HA-3A

I recently had some blasphemous thoughts about simplifying my life and perhaps going back to some of the better and more interesting solid-state amplifiers. Tube rolling can be expensive, time consuming and not without hassle. Life with a solid-state amp is just so much cheaper and easier. To cut a long story short, two amplifiers ended up on my shortlist: the Schiit Mjolnir 3 and the Flux Mentor. Both of these are around the same price (slightly cheaper than a stock HA-3A), and they are both regarded as extremely good value, beating other solid-state amps that cost two or even three times more.

This little write up will be a comparison of the Mjolnir 3 (MJ3) and Flux Mentor from a mostly subjective perspective. I am sharing this in the HA-3A thread, as spoiler alert; my tubes are not going anywhere. I will link this post in the Mentor and MJ3 threads too, as many folks were interested in a MJ3/Mentor comparison.

PXL_20240504_101523033.PORTRAIT~4.jpg

Mjolnir 3 vs. Mentor:

I have to start by saying these are two very different amplifiers. In my opinion they were built with different purposes in mind, for different people and for different music genres. The only reason they ended up competing so directly against each other (at least here on the forums) is their similar price tag, similarly excellent value proposition and limited availability. (Lead time for a new MJ3 is roughly 2 months, Mentor production is on and off in Ukraine.)

This is not a proper review, so I am not going into all the practical and functional differences, but only focusing on sound. My time is limited, and I have other reviews to work on, so won't mention information which is easy to google.

Let's start with the sound of the Mjolnir 3. Initially, before burning in I found the treble a little harsh and unrefined. Luckily this has improved, and the disturbance completely disappeared after 60-80 hrs burn in time. The Mjolnir 3 has a very fun, dynamic and engaging sound. There is definitely some sweetness in the sound and great tonality which is rare to hear with a solid-state amp and make the listener tap their toes and keep clicking for one more track. Pairing the MJ3 with a good DAC is important, as this amp is very DAC picky. Based on the choice of your DAC, the experience can be flat and uninteresting or super exciting and colourful/energetic.

PXL_20240424_162834394~2.jpg

On the Mjolnir 3, bass is served in one of the tastiest ways I have ever experienced on an amp: it is alive, kicking with superb impact and dynamics. It is not overblown or over emphasised, but present with a lot of life. Listening to EDM tracks on the MJ3 with something like the Caldera is a super fun experience.
Mids and vocals are surprisingly sweet, lifelike and engaging on this amp with excellent tonality. I was not expecting this from a solid-state.
I would classify treble as 'fine', good enough, but in all honesty, there is not much to write home about treble performance. It is not the cleanest, not the most resolving when we compare it to the other two amps in question, but when listening to the MJ3 alone, nothing really feels off or missing from the higher frequencies. At the same time, it can get better elsewhere.

The Mentor is a completely different animal, IMO catering for different needs. It is more technical, more resolving, and a lot more neutral than the MJ3. After the MJ3 it feels like a quality step up in refinement and resolution. There is a much larger space with a completely black background. You can hear details on the Mentor which are not or just very faintly present on the MJ3. The Mentor sounds more like traditional Hi-Fi, its tonality is in line with other higher-end amps. Instead of the unique taste and fun on the Schiit amp, with Flux's offering you get smooth detail retrieval and technicalities in spades.
The Mentor is a mature, extremely well balanced, very neutral sounding and effortlessly technical amp. The coherence, refinement, smoothness, ease of separating busy orchestral music is impressive. If the MJ3 is your fun EDM amp, the Mentor is your perfect solid state for grand orchestral pieces where this amp creates a huge clean space, and you can easily pick up individual instruments in the orchestra and follow them if you like.

PXL_20240506_070505837.jpg

If I found treble to be MJ3's weak point, for me personally it would be bass on the Mentor (yes, even after a week of burn in). Not that the bass is not clean and clear, it is certainly high quality and very balanced, but in direct comparison to the other two amps, it is more polite. Sub-bass performance is actually surprisingly good, this amp reaches down to the lowest frequency levels with no effort. Mid-bass however, especially on EDM tracks, could have more muscles for my taste and not just frequency-wise. It is a clean bass with good separation, but I miss the weight, body, macro-dynamics and slam the two other amps offer. With classical or acoustic music this is not an issue at all, but despite the higher resolving capabilities and better overall balance of the Flux, ultimately I found EDM tracks more fun on the MJ3. Listening to the Mentor only, most people won't miss anything from the bass, but when directly comparing to other amplifiers, bass can get a bit snappier, heavier and more impactful elsewhere.
Mids and vocals are nicely presented on the Mentor with nuance, but due to the more neutral tuning I did not find them as engaging as on the MJ3; not to mention the tubes.
Treble is one of the strengths of the Mentor though: it is natural and effortless. Highly detailed but in a realistic and smooth manner. This treble will never-ever be fatiguing to any ears, yet all the details one could ever wish for, are there. If I had to sum up the Mentor in one word, that would be refinement.
(Flux is about to release another amplifier, called the M-Field which is a counterpart to the Mentor with a different, more euphonic tuning.)

I do not think it is possible to pick a clear winner between these two SS amps. IMO the Mentor is more for the analytical listener who loves classical music, the MJ3 for those who simply love to get lost in music and have fun when listening to mostly modern pop or EDM. Calling the Mentor a more analytical amp does not mean it is boring. It has a smooth neutral sound with just the tiniest hint of warmth. The Mentor captivates the listener with effortless clarity.

These two amps are a little bit like a Mercedes S-Class versus an American muscle car:

1-Mercedes-S-Class-plug-in.jpg

refined elegance from Europe vs. wheel-spinning fun from America

I personally admire the technical prowess of the Flux, but long term I think I would prefer the more engaging tonality and fun focused tuning of the MJ3 despite the obviously lower resolution. I wish there was a way to combine the overall tonality, fabulous and dynamic bass of the Schiit amp with the high resolution, outstanding balance plus refined and spacious treble of the Mentor!

HA-3A (with GE rectifier, Bendix 6V6GTY and Mullard E80CC)

I have been enjoying this Cayin amp for almost 17 months now. This was my first tube amp, and even with stock tubes I fell in love with the liquid, natural, lifelike tonality. I had swiftly sold my GSX-Mini back then, as I found its soundstage limited, and its timbre quite digital in direct comparison.
Since then, I have rolled many tubes with the HA-3A, slowly but steadily improving its performance. I was not happy with the bass performance of the stock tubes with EDM, but luckily that can also be improved with selected NOS tubes.
What I love the most in tubes versus solid state, is their extremely 'fluid' nature and supremely natural, lifelike tonality. Singers and acoustic instruments simply come 'alive' on tubes versus SS. Same is true for drum notes or cymbals. In addition, tube amps often sound more spacious and have greater imaging and separation.

PXL_20240506_070225994.jpg

I also have to add that I only recently started to use my first E80CC tubes in the 3A as opposed to the officially recommended 12AU7s, and the result is impressive indeed. The E80CCs draw more current resulting in a much more dynamic and impactful sound in a much larger space. There is more definition, contrast and depth with these tubes, elevating the HA-3A to yet another level.

The two super-value and unique SS amps were facing this pumped-up tube amp on steroids. With my current tube set (GE rectifier, Bendix 6V6GTY and Mullard E80CC) the Cayin amp retains its fluid and most natural tube magic, but technicalities and dynamics are hugely improved compared to the stock version.

Instead of more words, I created the following little spreadsheet to ponder on. These numbers are not set in stone, they are here just to give a rough idea.

compare 2.jpg

Conclusion:

If I could justify it, I would happily keep all of these amps for different moods, and at the end of the day I could probably live with any of them. Since life is expensive, I do have to choose one and for me it is my upgraded Cayin. This little experiment serves as another proof that tubes just captivated my heart and ears forever. Their sweet and engaging tonality breathes life into voices and instruments: everything comes alive on tubes. It often takes some tweaking, but the right tube amp with the right tubes can also sound technical enough with great spatial presentation and deep, impactful bass.
While I admire the Mentor and enjoy the MJ3, it seems I have just irrevocably become one of those tube guys. If and when I get another amp after my Cayin, that has to be and will be a higher end 300B amp or even more likely, the new Aegis. Not this year though. :)
Hopefully some of you guys can use some of this information on your own journey. Peace and happy listening!

May 7, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #2,190 of 2,289
Schiit Mjolnir 3 and Flux Mentor versus my upgraded Cayin HA-3A

I recently had some blasphemous thoughts about simplifying my life and perhaps going back to some of the better and more interesting solid-state amplifiers. Tube rolling can be expensive, time consuming and not without hassle. Life with a solid-state amp is just so much cheaper and easier. To cut a long story short, two amplifiers ended up on my shortlist: the Schiit Mjolnir 3 and the Flux Mentor. Both of these are around the same price (slightly cheaper than a stock HA-3A), and they are both regarded as extremely good value, beating other solid-state amps that cost two or even three times more.

This little write up will be a comparison of the Mjolnir 3 (MJ3) and Flux Mentor from a mostly subjective perspective. I am sharing this in the HA-3A thread, as spoiler alert; my tubes are not going anywhere. I will link this post in the Mentor and MJ3 threads too, as many folks were interested in a MJ3/Mentor comparison.

PXL_20240504_101523033.PORTRAIT~4.jpg

Mjolnir 3 vs. Mentor:

I have to start by saying these are two very different amplifiers. In my opinion they were built with different purposes in mind, for different people and for different music genres. The only reason they ended up competing so directly against each other (at least here on the forums) is their similar price tag, similarly excellent value proposition and limited availability. (Lead time for a new MJ3 is roughly 2 months, Mentor production is on and off in Ukraine.)

This is not a proper review, so I am not going into all the practical and functional differences, but only focusing on sound. My time is limited, and I have other reviews to work on, so won't mention information which is easy to google.

Let's start with the sound of the Mjolnir 3. Initially, before burning in I found the treble a little harsh and unrefined. Luckily this has improved, and the disturbance completely disappeared after 60-80 hrs burn in time. The Mjolnir 3 has a very fun, dynamic and engaging sound. There is definitely some sweetness in the sound and great tonality which is rare to hear with a solid-state amp and make the listener tap their toes and keep clicking for one more track. Pairing the MJ3 with a good DAC is important, as this amp is very DAC picky. Based on the choice of your DAC, the experience can be flat and uninteresting or super exciting and colourful/energetic.

PXL_20240424_162834394~2.jpg

On the Mjolnir 3, bass is served in one of the tastiest ways I have ever experienced on an amp: it is alive, kicking with superb impact and dynamics. It is not overblown or over emphasised, but present with a lot of life. Listening to EDM tracks on the MJ3 with something like the Caldera is a super fun experience.
Mids and vocals are surprisingly sweet, lifelike and engaging on this amp with excellent tonality. I was not expecting this from a solid-state.
I would classify treble as 'fine', good enough, but in all honesty, there is not much to write home about treble performance. It is not the cleanest, not the most resolving when we compare it to the other two amps in question, but when listening to the MJ3 alone, nothing really feels off or missing from the higher frequencies. At the same time, it can get better elsewhere.

The Mentor is a completely different animal, IMO catering for different needs. It is more technical, more resolving, and a lot more neutral than the MJ3. After the MJ3 it feels like a quality step up in refinement and resolution. There is a much larger space with a completely black background. You can hear details on the Mentor which are not or just very faintly present on the MJ3. The Mentor sounds more like traditional Hi-Fi, its tonality is in line with other higher-end amps. Instead of the unique taste and fun on the Schiit amp, with Flux's offering you get smooth detail retrieval and technicalities in spades.
The Mentor is a mature, extremely well balanced, very neutral sounding and effortlessly technical amp. The coherence, refinement, smoothness, ease of separating busy orchestral music is impressive. If the MJ3 is your fun EDM amp, the Mentor is your perfect solid state for grand orchestral pieces where this amp creates a huge clean space, and you can easily pick up individual instruments in the orchestra and follow them if you like.

PXL_20240506_070505837.jpg

If I found treble to be MJ3's weak point, for me personally it would be bass on the Mentor (yes, even after a week of burn in). Not that the bass is not clean and clear, it is certainly high quality and very balanced, but in direct comparison to the other two amps, it is more polite. Sub-bass performance is actually surprisingly good, this amp reaches down to the lowest frequency levels with no effort. Mid-bass however, especially on EDM tracks, could have more muscles for my taste and not just frequency-wise. It is a clean bass with good separation, but I miss the weight, body, macro-dynamics and slam the two other amps offer. With classical or acoustic music this is not an issue at all, but despite the higher resolving capabilities and better overall balance of the Flux, ultimately I found EDM tracks more fun on the MJ3. Listening to the Mentor only, most people won't miss anything from the bass, but when directly comparing to other amplifiers, bass can get a bit snappier, heavier and more impactful elsewhere.
Mids and vocals are nicely presented on the Mentor with nuance, but due to the more neutral tuning I did not find them as engaging as on the MJ3; not to mention the tubes.
Treble is one of the strengths of the Mentor though: it is natural and effortless. Highly detailed but in a realistic and smooth manner. This treble will never-ever be fatiguing to any ears, yet all the details one could ever wish for, are there. If I had to sum up the Mentor in one word, that would be refinement.
(Flux is about to release another amplifier, called the M-Field which is a counterpart to the Mentor with a different, more euphonic tuning.)

I do not think it is possible to pick a clear winner between these two SS amps. IMO the Mentor is more for the analytical listener who loves classical music, the MJ3 for those who simply love to get lost in music and have fun when listening to mostly modern pop or EDM. Calling the Mentor a more analytical amp does not mean it is boring. It has a smooth neutral sound with just the tiniest hint of warmth. The Mentor captivates the listener with effortless clarity.

These two amps are a little bit like a Mercedes S-Class versus an American muscle car:

1-Mercedes-S-Class-plug-in.jpg
refined elegance from Europe vs. wheel-spinning fun from America

I personally admire the technical prowess of the Flux, but long term I think I would prefer the more engaging tonality and fun focused tuning of the MJ3 despite the obviously lower resolution. I wish there was a way to combine the overall tonality, fabulous and dynamic bass of the Schiit amp with the high resolution, outstanding balance plus refined and spacious treble of the Mentor!

HA-3A (with GE rectifier, Bendix 6V6GTY and Mullard E80CC)

I have been enjoying this Cayin amp for almost 17 months now. This was my first tube amp, and even with stock tubes I fell in love with the liquid, natural, lifelike tonality. I had swiftly sold my GSX-Mini back then, as I found its soundstage limited, and its timbre quite digital in direct comparison.
Since then, I have rolled many tubes with the HA-3A, slowly but steadily improving its performance. I was not happy with the bass performance of the stock tubes with EDM, but luckily that can also be improved with selected NOS tubes.
What I love the most in tubes versus solid state, is their extremely 'fluid' nature and supremely natural, lifelike tonality. Singers and acoustic instruments simply come 'alive' on tubes versus SS. Same is true for drum notes or cymbals. In addition, tube amps often sound more spacious and have greater imaging and separation.

PXL_20240506_070225994.jpg

I also have to add that I only recently started to use my first E80CC tubes in the 3A as opposed to the officially recommended 12AU7s, and the result is impressive indeed. The E80CCs draw more current resulting in a much more dynamic and impactful sound in a much larger space. There is more definition, contrast and depth with these tubes, elevating the HA-3A to yet another level.

The two super-value and unique SS amps were facing this pumped-up tube amp on steroids. With my current tube set (GE rectifier, Bendix 6V6GTY and Mullard E80CC) the Cayin amp retains its fluid and most natural tube magic, but technicalities and dynamics are hugely improved compared to the stock version.

Instead of more words, I created the following little spreadsheet to ponder on. These numbers are not set in stone, they are here just to give a rough idea.

compare 2.jpg

Conclusion:

If I could justify it, I would happily keep all of these amps for different moods, and at the end of the day I could probably live with any of them. Since life is expensive, I do have to choose one and for me it is my upgraded Cayin. This little experiment serves as another proof that tubes just captivated my heart and ears forever. Their sweet and engaging tonality breathes life into voices and instruments: everything comes alive on tubes. It often takes some tweaking, but the right tube amp with the right tubes can also sound technical enough with great spatial presentation and deep, impactful bass.
While I admire the Mentor and enjoy the MJ3, it seems I have just irrevocably become one of those tube guys. If and when I get another amp after my Cayin, that has to be and will be a higher end 300B amp or even more likely, the new Aegis. Not this year though. :)
Hopefully some of you guys can use some of this information on your own journey. Peace and happy listening!
What if you don't like EDM classical or modern pop ? What headphones did you use and which DACS ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back