DT880 (32 vs 250 Ohm) for work and practicing guitar via guitar amp
Mar 2, 2011 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

vs17

New Head-Fier
After doing a lot of research over the last month, scouring head-fi, and weighing my priorities, I am planning to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium headphones after demoing the 'pro' line at a local Guitar Center. I was originally planning to get a pair of ATH-M50s but was a little turned off by their clamping force and the fact that they would make my ears sweat over a long listening period. Comfort is paramount in my decision as I will be using these headphones for long listening sessions at work. I will mostly be using these headphones for listening to music in the office from my laptop and music/games/movies at home from the headphone out on my nice computer speaker set (which I was hoping could act as a pre-amp between my laptop sound card and the headphones).

I would also, however, like to plug these headphones into my guitar amp at night when practicing electric guitar. I was originally sold on the 32 Ohm version as it seems the most suited to my use case, but I was not sure if this would be a bad decision for using with my guitar amp. Also, I can't put my finger on it but it somehow just feels wrong to buy a 32 Ohm version of this headset. I can't seem to find much info as to whether or not this would be a good idea and if anyone has tried using these headphones while playing.

Although I will not initially use an amp with these headphones, I am considering buying a cheap (< $100) amp to pair with these headphones at some point down the line. I realize that I will most likely not being getting the ultimate experience out of these headphones until I do end up using an amp, but in my mind the comfort alone justifies the price to replace my current headphones at work.

As I would like to use them with my guitar amp at home, would the 250 Ohm or the 32 Ohm DT 880 model be the better choice in the end? Thanks for any help as I am currently torn.

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 6
If nothing else I'm mainly concerned about damaging the 32 OHM headphones if I plug them directly into my guitar amp when I play. Does anyone know if the 250 OHM model would be better suited for this use?

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 6
Worry more about your guitar amp.

Some tube amps could run into serious issues with a high impedance load. There may be hidden problems with SS amps too! In either case the crappy filtering commonly used in guitar amps will almost certainly make your headphones hum. 

On that note, there are small and cheap electric guitar "practice amps" with simple tone controls. If your handy with a soldering iron you should be able to put something quite nice together. 

Ooh, get the 250ohm version.

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm going to try them out with one of the lower wattage practice amps that you recommended. I have a 15 watt vox tube amp that I plan to plug the 32 Ohm DT 880's into. As long as I can't overdrive these headphones with the guitar amp I'm starting to think that the 32 Ohm version is probably the better choice for my use. Without an amp I seriously doubt the Realtek HD sound card in my laptop would do the 250 Ohm 880's justice, and that's how I will primarily be using these. Thanks for the responses, I'll let you know how it works out.

May 7, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 6
Я собираюсь опробовать их с одним из рекомендованных вами усилителей меньшей мощности. У меня есть ламповый усилитель мощностью 15 Вт, к которому я планирую подключить DT 880 сопротивлением 32 Ом. Пока я не могу перегрузить эти наушники гитарным усилителем, я начинаю думать, что версия на 32 Ом, вероятно, будет лучшим выбором для меня. Я серьезно сомневаюсь, что без усилителя звуковая карта Realtek HD в моем ноутбуке справится с 250-омной 880, и именно так я в основном буду ее использовать. Спасибо за ответы, сообщу, что получится.
Подскажите какие купить beyerdynamic DT 880 на 32 или 250 ом? Укажите плюсы и минусы этих моделей со звуковой картой и без карты. 32 омных лучше или хуже 250?
какие выбрать?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back