Home-Made IEMs
May 21, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #16,066 of 16,085
I have the usound amp for a desktop / tuning solution, but planning to use the guts from some Fauna audio glasses for wireless and see how that sounds. I may need to revive an old cell phone to get access to a functioning Fauna app, haven't quite gotten that far yet. Finding a case and a battery for the usound amp would require big pockets to carry around, but is possible.
You won't need the app to use Fauna :)
The Fauna glasses use a TI LM48580 amplifier, you can easily get a dev board of that one.
Though there are more performant solutions (less distortion, more stable DC supply) now, like USound's UC-P3010 amplifier. XMEMS also have an amplifier (Aptos) that can be used very similarily (with very similar performance too)
(sorry for the somewhat necropost)

May 23, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #16,067 of 16,085
Hi guys . Please can any one tell me the right way of measuring a ciem with microphone? Ill show you some pictures, please tell me, which one is more accurate.
On the first picture, i placed it really close .

I asked, because first example gave me different frequency response from the second picture example.

Attachments

• IMG_8078.jpeg
    IMG_8078.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8077.jpeg
    IMG_8077.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
May 23, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #16,068 of 16,085
Hi guys . Please can any one tell me the right way of measuring a ciem with microphone? Ill show you some pictures, please tell me, which one is more accurate.

I asked, because first example gave me different frequency response from the second picture example.
I think you have to leave the adapter on while measuring (like you did in pic 2).
The distance from the actual small microphone inside the coupler and the IEM should simulate that of the ear canal - eardrum volume range (~2cc).
Try to put the adapter on and isolate with some bluetack the part where the adapter connects to the coupler body to prevent any leakage and see if the measurement changes from the one that you did in the 2nd pic the first time.

May 23, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #16,069 of 16,085

My own logic, is to insert the CIEM nozzle tip is the as close as or a bit more then the front of the UIEM tip. CIEM insert depth more like UIEM with triple flange ear tip.

May 23, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #16,070 of 16,085
Hey everyone! Can a DD with broken wires be fixed? The wires that run along the side of it, protected by glue, the tiny ones that connect to the diaphragm.
I was carefully trying to extract the driver of the TRN Conch, I may have melted the glue by heating it too much or maybe I accidentally nicked that area with the blade, but they don't work now, no sound.

I know it's a super crucial and delicate part so I understand if it's irrecoverable but I wonder if anyone has had any success resoldering or rewiring... They were cool drivers :frowning2:
Haha thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't find it

May 24, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #16,071 of 16,085
You won't need the app to use Fauna :)
The Fauna glasses use a TI LM48580 amplifier, you can easily get a dev board of that one.
Though there are more performant solutions (less distortion, more stable DC supply) now, like USound's UC-P3010 amplifier. XMEMS also have an amplifier (Aptos) that can be used very similarily (with very similar performance too)
(sorry for the somewhat necropost)
Well I still haven't finished anything with a mems amplifier yet... Perfect timing, thanks for your comments and the reminder :)

May 25, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #16,072 of 16,085
Does anyone have any tutorials or general directions on how to create tubing in fusion for CIEMS? I understand the concept of creating a sound path and then removing that from the shell, but after watching some fusion tutorials I found myself getting lost amongst all the information out there on YouTube.

I'm quite happy in Meshmixer when it comes to shaping and basic hollowing, but that's because there's a couple of IEM specific videos out there, and also a really good explanation from matt matt on page 870. Once I'm set in the right direction, I can start to figure things out for myself, but with Fusion I feel like I'm left scratching my head.

Also are you guys grabbing your 3d models directly from the Knowles or Sonion websites? I've only really been dealing with stl in Meshmixer, but I'm coming across STEP, igs and even prt files. I'm assuming fusion can deal with all of those? Sonion doesn't seem to have all their models available in 3d models.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome, as Fusion and myself aren't gelling very well so far.

May 29, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #16,073 of 16,085
Does anyone have any tutorials or general directions on how to create tubing in fusion for CIEMS? I understand the concept of creating a sound path and then removing that from the shell, but after watching some fusion tutorials I found myself getting lost amongst all the information out there on YouTube.

I'm quite happy in Meshmixer when it comes to shaping and basic hollowing, but that's because there's a couple of IEM specific videos out there, and also a really good explanation from matt matt on page 870. Once I'm set in the right direction, I can start to figure things out for myself, but with Fusion I feel like I'm left scratching my head.

Also are you guys grabbing your 3d models directly from the Knowles or Sonion websites? I've only really been dealing with stl in Meshmixer, but I'm coming across STEP, igs and even prt files. I'm assuming fusion can deal with all of those? Sonion doesn't seem to have all their models available in 3d models.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome, as Fusion and myself aren't gelling very well so far.
You can try this out. Use guides. It's around the latter part

May 30, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #16,074 of 16,085

Hey,
You can start by placing the drivers where you want to be and then start creating sketching's with splines

1717084142062.png

that goes from the driver nozzle to the case nozzle, then you create pipes with the dimension of the tube that you want
1717084211003.png

then you will have something similar with this
1717084468039.png

Then the last part will be to fill the zone where the tubes are, for this you will create planes from the construct menu "Offset plane" like this
1717084615383.png
1717084633639.png

Then you will need to fill the zone covered by the construction plane (search on youtube how to do it, forgot already 😅).
After all of this show all the drivers and tubes then select "Combine" select CUT and done (keep tools and make a new component, it will help you later if you need to do modifications).

1717084901505.png

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 1717084368046.png
    1717084368046.png
    170.2 KB · Views: 0
May 30, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #16,075 of 16,085
Awesome!! Thanks to you both. That's going to give me heaps to start playing with.

Do I need to convert my shell from a mesh to a solid? All the drivers seem to show up as a solid when I import them, and from your instructions the pipe will also be a solid. That was my first hurdle that I came across was that meshes and solids didn't play well together.

Anyway, I'm off to experiment with all of this, but I'm sure I'll be back to pester you guys with more questions.

May 31, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #16,076 of 16,085
Awesome!! Thanks to you both. That's going to give me heaps to start playing with.

Do I need to convert my shell from a mesh to a solid? All the drivers seem to show up as a solid when I import them, and from your instructions the pipe will also be a solid. That was my first hurdle that I came across was that meshes and solids didn't play well together.

Anyway, I'm off to experiment with all of this, but I'm sure I'll be back to pester you guys with more questions.
Yes you do. You won't be able to manipulate the mesh as is with other solids, like cutting out the tubes from the solid you made.

May 31, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #16,077 of 16,085

Converting to solid in fusion is a booger sometimes. Be sure you have enough computing power to perform the operation. If not, you will be waiting an astronomical amount of time only to be met with a processing error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back